Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Re: New Horizons

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: New Horizons

 
 
JaR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:090001c3788a$8084e980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking a program through New horizons that Get me 5
> Certs. MCSA, A+, NET+, CCNA and Security+. Cost: 15000+.
>
> Question: is it worth it? According to Dice.com this
> combination of certs will net 70 grand/YR or better.


5-6 Years of experience + those certs MIGHT get you into that salary level
if you are (a) highly skilled and (b) lucky. Certs alone will not get you
much. In my area, they may get you in the door for an inteview for a min
wage, entry-level position.

Sorry, been there, done that, pawned the t-shirt, and stayed with my current
job.

--
J.R. Jones
A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#..............42


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mchappell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-11-2003
I am an MCSA and also Certified Lotus Professional
Systems Admin, with about 4 years experience all said,
and I'm making low 40s. While it's true that certs do
not guarentee salary or even a job, they do help a bit,
and may possibly be the deciding factor of choosing you
over a non-certified individual. You will definately get
more hits on your resume, however you need to be prepared
to demonstrate your knowledge or you'll hang yourself by
own petards.

I attended New Horizons for my MCSA courses and it cost
me about $5500 (Courses 2151,2152,2126,and 2153 plus
exams and MeasureUp test software) I am very happy with
the results and would consider using them again for
training. Make sure you get an experienced account
manager. I had one who was great, but then was
downsized, so I got stuck with this retard who had no
effing clue what he was doing. I eventually complained
loud enough and got another account manager who was
outstanding.

Good luck


>-----Original Message-----
>"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:090001c3788a$8084e980$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am looking a program through New horizons that Get

me 5
>> Certs. MCSA, A+, NET+, CCNA and Security+. Cost:

15000+.
>>
>> Question: is it worth it? According to Dice.com this
>> combination of certs will net 70 grand/YR or better.

>
>5-6 Years of experience + those certs MIGHT get you into

that salary level
>if you are (a) highly skilled and (b) lucky. Certs alone

will not get you
>much. In my area, they may get you in the door for an

inteview for a min
>wage, entry-level position.
>
>Sorry, been there, done that, pawned the t-shirt, and

stayed with my current
>job.
>
>--
>J.R. Jones
>A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#..............42
>
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
R Adorno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2003
I just started the MCSA track. Taking it at a community college. Cost is not
a factor for me...my job pays for it. I cant believe mchappell only makes
low 40's
with MCSA + exp. I make 55g and don't have any certs in anything. Just exp
in
working in a bunny suit in a "cleanroom". Maybe MCSA is not the way to go.
Any comments??
"mchappell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1d6501c378a2$56841e40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am an MCSA and also Certified Lotus Professional
> Systems Admin, with about 4 years experience all said,
> and I'm making low 40s. While it's true that certs do
> not guarentee salary or even a job, they do help a bit,
> and may possibly be the deciding factor of choosing you
> over a non-certified individual. You will definately get
> more hits on your resume, however you need to be prepared
> to demonstrate your knowledge or you'll hang yourself by
> own petards.
>
> I attended New Horizons for my MCSA courses and it cost
> me about $5500 (Courses 2151,2152,2126,and 2153 plus
> exams and MeasureUp test software) I am very happy with
> the results and would consider using them again for
> training. Make sure you get an experienced account
> manager. I had one who was great, but then was
> downsized, so I got stuck with this retard who had no
> effing clue what he was doing. I eventually complained
> loud enough and got another account manager who was
> outstanding.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:090001c3788a$8084e980$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I am looking a program through New horizons that Get

> me 5
> >> Certs. MCSA, A+, NET+, CCNA and Security+. Cost:

> 15000+.
> >>
> >> Question: is it worth it? According to Dice.com this
> >> combination of certs will net 70 grand/YR or better.

> >
> >5-6 Years of experience + those certs MIGHT get you into

> that salary level
> >if you are (a) highly skilled and (b) lucky. Certs alone

> will not get you
> >much. In my area, they may get you in the door for an

> inteview for a min
> >wage, entry-level position.
> >
> >Sorry, been there, done that, pawned the t-shirt, and

> stayed with my current
> >job.
> >
> >--
> >J.R. Jones
> >A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP#..............42
> >
> >
> >.
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
James D. Murray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-18-2003
Geographical area makes a very big difference in salary, don't forget. I've
seen $30K salary differences in the same IT job between Mid-West and the
West coast cities.

Go West, young man!




 
Reply With Quote
 
Dale
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2003

>-----Original Message-----
>Geographical area makes a very big difference in salary,

don't forget. I've
>seen $30K salary differences in the same IT job between

Mid-West and the
>West coast cities.
>
>Go West, young man!
>
>
>
>
>.
>Going "West" will cost you more to live!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: New Horizons Pedro Simoes MCSE 0 11-24-2005 06:41 PM
New Horizons =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?= MCSE 11 11-22-2005 01:42 AM
new horizons izy MCSE 3 04-04-2005 10:27 AM
New Horizons CTEC =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgU3F1aXRpZXJl?= Microsoft Certification 1 12-09-2004 04:37 PM
New Horizons Md. Mokbul Hossain MCSE 1 09-16-2003 05:10 PM



Advertisments