Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > tentative introduction

Reply
Thread Tools

tentative introduction

 
 
Dev Lunsford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
Hi, how do people on the group feel about people like me who want to be
(eventually) MCSEs but who are starting from no (commercial) experience? I
read a lot in my spare time and am very keen to learn the skills and get
certified (no brain dumps, I actually want to be good at the job), but I
don't have the solid experience of working in the field (I'm having no luck
with jobs and am hoping the qualification will help a little - not a magic
answer but at least something to set me above some of the guys who at the
moment are stealing jobs from me, probably without MCPs).

Anyway, do you guys consider this a 'paper' MCP or not? I guess I just
don't want to be just some wannabe. I'm going to study and practise as best
I can with my 1 server and 1 laptop...

thanks

-dev...


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
FrisbeeŽ MCNGP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
"Dev Lunsford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bGW6b.12827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, how do people on the group feel about people like me who want to be
> (eventually) MCSEs but who are starting from no (commercial) experience?

I
> read a lot in my spare time and am very keen to learn the skills and get
> certified (no brain dumps, I actually want to be good at the job), but I
> don't have the solid experience of working in the field (I'm having no

luck
> with jobs and am hoping the qualification will help a little - not a magic
> answer but at least something to set me above some of the guys who at the
> moment are stealing jobs from me, probably without MCPs).
>
> Anyway, do you guys consider this a 'paper' MCP or not? I guess I just
> don't want to be just some wannabe. I'm going to study and practise as

best
> I can with my 1 server and 1 laptop...
>
> thanks


One word: Volunteer

--
Fris "And not the Tennessee kind" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
FrisbeeŽ MCNGP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
"Dev Lunsford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6eY6b.57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > One word: Volunteer

>
> I could take this 2 ways
>
> 1) by all means take the test but you'll never get a job so you might as
> well... volunteer
> 2) gain experience by volunteering, looks good on your resume and

employers
> will love you (within reason)
>
> Thanks. At least I don't feel so much like a loser now...


More the second. You can find a job without experience... you can also win
the lottery.

Also volunteering can open doors for you as well. A different kind of
"networking"


--
Fris "And I ain't talking AMWAY" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
If you are going to work hard and complete the MCSA/MCSE in the next couple
of months go with the 2000 track. Most of this industry is still on 2000
there is even still NT 4 networks out there. You will not see a large move
to 2003 for probably another year to two, this is a guess though. I am on
the 2000 track and plan on taking the 2 addition test to upgrade to 2003.
This means I will take 10 test and earn the following Certifications. MCSA,
MCSA security, MCSE security, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003.

In reply to you other post experience helps you past the test and get a job
but is not required to take the test. However if you are going to be
successful at the test you need to get a couple of PC's and setup a lab at
your house. By practicing in a lab environment you will vastly improve your
knowledge and increase your chances of passing the test. All of the
Microsoft study guides come with a 180 day trial copy of the software which
is covered in the text so use it to you advantage.

In consideration that you have no experience you may want to look in to the
CompTIA A+ and Network + certifications. These two certifications will lay
the ground work so that you can become a help desk employee. In addition
you can use the combination of these two as one elective for the MCSA
certification.

Most of the above has been covered in this news group a number of times. You
may want to check how many host headers you are downloading at once. Since I
have high speed internet I simply download all headers. By downloading all
the headers you will be able to search for relevant post prior to asking the
question. You may even be able to find the answer immediately and not have
to wait for a reply from someone.

Rick


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dev Lunsford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2003
Thanks for all your help. I should have searched, sorry, I'm pretty new to
newsgroups (strangely, in this line of business - but nevertheless true, and
not just because I'm a dork) and I forget to search in my eagerness to get a
personal answer, but I know it's disrespectful of people's time, and I will
search in future. Thanks for taking the time to reply though.

I'm thinking of doing the A+ if not the Net+ exams too, like you said - with
the 'savings' from not taking expensive training courses I could take an MCP
and the compTIA exams, then hopefully a company might help me take the
rest - or a job will at least pay for the rest. It's good to hear I'm
thinking in the right lines.

I'm looking at probably one exam a month starting now - max. I'm pretty
busy and also need to save for each exam as I do it. Thanks for all the
advice, it's really helped me feel better about this. I really thought I'd
get told I would certainly fail without training. Now at least I feel like
I might not fail if I work hard - at least not more than once... Anyway
that means I won't reach MCSA until at least February or March,
realistically. Since the 2003 track lets you use Win2kPro as the client
exam I figure I'm safe to do that and then A+ and see what happens.

-dev...

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are going to work hard and complete the MCSA/MCSE in the next

couple
> of months go with the 2000 track. Most of this industry is still on 2000
> there is even still NT 4 networks out there. You will not see a large move
> to 2003 for probably another year to two, this is a guess though. I am on
> the 2000 track and plan on taking the 2 addition test to upgrade to 2003.
> This means I will take 10 test and earn the following Certifications.

MCSA,
> MCSA security, MCSE security, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003.
>
> In reply to you other post experience helps you past the test and get a

job
> but is not required to take the test. However if you are going to be
> successful at the test you need to get a couple of PC's and setup a lab at
> your house. By practicing in a lab environment you will vastly improve

your
> knowledge and increase your chances of passing the test. All of the
> Microsoft study guides come with a 180 day trial copy of the software

which
> is covered in the text so use it to you advantage.
>
> In consideration that you have no experience you may want to look in to

the
> CompTIA A+ and Network + certifications. These two certifications will lay
> the ground work so that you can become a help desk employee. In addition
> you can use the combination of these two as one elective for the MCSA
> certification.
>
> Most of the above has been covered in this news group a number of times.

You
> may want to check how many host headers you are downloading at once. Since

I
> have high speed internet I simply download all headers. By downloading all
> the headers you will be able to search for relevant post prior to asking

the
> question. You may even be able to find the answer immediately and not have
> to wait for a reply from someone.
>
> Rick
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
SteveC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2003
Good advice from Fris about volunteering, but thats ok if you have that
luxury. If you have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed, you're not gonna
wanna be working for free!

Steve.
"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dev,
> Do not take any offense to the search comment, it was ment to help you

avoid
> the pain of being flamed. However it certainly looks like the flaming has
> calmed down.
>
> If you go with the 2000 Track I would not worry about time as the cert

will
> be around for some time. If it was me with a projected date of February I
> would still go 2000 and upgrade. Remeber you will be a valuable asset to a
> company that already has either 2000 or 2003 if you go the upgrade path.
> Since 2000 is different than 2003 some companies using 2000 may not

consider
> you a good canidate if you only have the 2003 cetification.
>
> I do want to stress again once you go beyond test 70-210 you need to look

at
> setting up a lab. Without practicing in a lab enviroment you are not going
> to learn some of the aspects that are required by the test.
>
> I would also recommend that if you can afford it look into some testing
> software. There are several companies that make practice test such as
> transcender and measure up. I have used the measure up and like them. The
> practice mode allows you to reveal the answer and the location which you

can
> research the answer. It will tell you if the answer came from technet, the
> resource kit for the product, Self paced training, or the Microsoft

Offecial
> Course.
>
> You also need to learn to use Microsoft resources such as the Knowledge

base
> on the MS web site. Being certified does not mean you know all the

answers.
> However in getting certified you should learn where to look for the

answers.
>
> Above all do not get discouraged. Many who have been down this path before
> will tell you that it is not always easy, sometimes you even have to take

a
> test more then once (70-216 for most). Most of the time you can come here
> for a sholder to cry on or even a congrats for all of your success.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Rick
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
FrisbeeŽ MCNGP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2003
"SteveC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good advice from Fris about volunteering, but thats ok if you have that
> luxury. If you have a mortgage to pay and mouths to feed, you're not gonna
> wanna be working for free!


You don't have to do volunteer work full-time. You do full time whatever
you have to do to provide for your family. You carve out some hours, even
if on weekends, and volunteer to do work at schools or libraries. Any
experience helps.


--
Fris "The toughest job you'll ever love" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dev Lunsford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2003
At the risk of over-enthusiasm, "You guys rock!!!!!!!"

Thanks for your ideas. I've been putting out the feelers in schools
recently, so good to get confirmation of a good plan. I'm gonna make it...
you will see my name in lights...

-dev...


 
Reply With Quote
 
FrisbeeŽ MCNGP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-09-2003
"Dev Lunsford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZPk7b.661$(E-Mail Removed)...
> At the risk of over-enthusiasm, "You guys rock!!!!!!!"
>
> Thanks for your ideas. I've been putting out the feelers in schools
> recently, so good to get confirmation of a good plan. I'm gonna make

it...
> you will see my name in lights...


Good luck, Dev. Maybe you're looking to get into the wrong area of IT,
though. With a name like yours, you should be a software DEVeloper.


--
Fris "or is Dev short for Deviant?" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruby List Roast - A Tentative Attempt Hope Less Ruby 8 08-21-2009 02:15 PM
Tentative definition versus external linkage RG (Rafael Giusti) C Programming 11 03-14-2008 03:40 AM
Introduction to Logic Gates Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-24-2005 01:44 PM
Introduction to FB-DIMM Memory: Birth of Serial RAM? Silverstrand Front Page News 3 07-09-2005 04:57 AM
Introduction to Case Modding Silverstrand Front Page News 0 06-24-2005 09:31 PM



Advertisments