Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Re: Clint Kennedy please read

Re: Clint Kennedy please read

Clint Kennedy

I think the answer to this question is purely a matter of opinion. I
personally look for experience above all else. Afterall, if a person has a
degree and certifications yet doesn't know how to do the simplest of tasks,
what good is he to me? On the other hand, if he has no degree or
certifications, if his experience proves that he must know what he's doing,
that speaks for itself as well. With regards to experience, it is important
that you have a good history and don't hop jobs every other month (without
very good reason that you should be ready to explain during an interview).
Point being, if you only stay at a company for 2 or 3 months before finding
another job, you'll probably do the same thing to me. In my opinion,
certifications help get you interviews, other than that, they don't
guarantee anything. Many times a HR person is told to go through a stack
and pick out everyone that has this and that certiifcation .. then call them
in for an interview. No one would hire you simply because you have your
MCSE or A+ or whatever, without proving you have applicable knowledge.

Clint

"Rick Sears" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could you please comment on my "off subject" thread below. I have been
> reading that you are a hiring manager and need some direction. I am

looking
> into Online BS programs and don't want to waste my time. If you would look
> at the thread and give me any recommendations it would be greatly
> appreciated
>
> Rick

Rick Sears

Well now, I am in a dilemma regarding my job search. It seems, based on
what you have said, that I should have no problem getting an interview. I
have a great work history. I have been with my current job for four years
and the previous one for three years. While at my previous job, I obtained a
second Associates Degree in Telecommunications Management. I also have
significant experience in my field, as I have advanced from being a PC
technician to running a one-man IT department for a 420 member organization.
I have listed the following skills and achievements on my resume.

Design, implementation, and maintenance of a 250-node Windows
2000-XP professional network (which utilizes Microsoft Windows 2000, Novell,
UNIX, DNS, and DHCP servers)

Design, implementation, and management of a software development
project, which automated South Carolina's mandated five-part forms (using
laptops, Adobe Acrobat, and Progress relational database products)

Procurement and implementation of a jail management system (which
included: defining requirements, evaluating vendors' qualifications, and
software modification documentation)

Design, implementation, and management of a Frame Relay WAN using
CISCO routers (to provide data access from regional offices)

Design, implementation, and management of a Gigabit fiber-optic
backbone to link campus buildings together (using Enterasys equipment)

Design, implementation, and management of two security policies
using Netscreen 5-XP firewall hardware to provide access to NCIC through
encrypted VPN tunnels to SLED (replacement of Guardian firewall which was
also installed by me previously)

Procurement and installation of two 25Ghz Microwave WAN links

Procurement and installation of two spread-spectrum WAN links

In the past, I did not consider obtaining professional certifications, as I
could perform the tasks required to fulfill my job roles and did not need to
have paper proof of my knowledge. However, I have recently come to the
conclusion that I have reached the summit of my advancement at my current
place of employment. As a result of this epiphany, I began looking for new
employment. I realize that my timing is poor with the economy being down,
but I honestly expected more replies to my applications, based on my level
of knowledge and experience. I have been applying for jobs for the past
twelve months and have garnered only two interviews. Currently, in the
southeast, most job advertisements require an MCSE and BS. How does one
convince an employer to look past their arbitrary requirements and to give
an interview? Currently, I am questioning the format of my resume, as it
seems that I am doing a poor job of selling myself.

Clint Kennedy

Remember, I did say that having certifications help get you INTERVIEWS.