Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > My 70-215 Results today - long

My 70-215 Results today - long

CJ

Whew... I had a great learning experience today!

I took my 70-215 exam today and I'm not very pleased. I did pass, but I did
not have an inkling I was passing after getting Group Policy Questions. I
had to wait until quetion 50 and then a few minutes before the score
revealed pass. In previous exams I had some feeling of confidence during
the exam.

My disappointment in myself is this - Number 1: I pushed myself to take
the exam quicker than I should have because I somehow in my mind thought I
had to beat the holiday rush. In addition to that I have a friend that
completed all his certifications in 2 weeks and is looking at me like I'm
some kind of space cadet for taking so long for an exam. Then I see people
post on here who say the exams are a breeze and you must be an idiot not to
pass them all in one setting. I'm not a brainiac wo what was I thinking
with this race to certification! My skills are very strong in disk drives,
terminal services, and raid, and I could use my dry erase board for
scenario's during the test so that part was not difficult for me, and may
have carried me through.

Nonetheless, I didn't need Microsoft to score me to realize that my Group
Policy skills are seriously lacking. I was blank, stunned, and confused.
Yes, I did my cbtnuggets, Microsoft Press, and even emulated the scenarios
on my network. I'm going to give up Exam Essentials 5.0 and try to find a
good wealth of questions that will really test my abilities on future exams.

I thought that just cbtnuggets practice on my network would get me through
the exam easily. Then, I thought that Microsoft was just entering tricky
questions. Bottom line is I had to guess after eliminating one incorrect
answer. Microsoft didn't have tricky questions. I didn't KNOW the
material well enough. I thought I knew all about GP because I could do
what was presented in front of me over and over again.

I know I need to work on this area and am going to need it for future exams.
I guess the reason I'm writing this is to offer the suggestion if you study
at home like I do: work out the practice questions in detail, understand
EXACTLY what/where/when and why of each facet of your studies. My method
was to emulate with the video, post questions here, and use the MSPress for
resources. And, my Exam Essentials questions were repetitive to where I
knew the answer without reading the question. I didn't test myself well
enough.

Somehow I must have guessed answers correctly, but that sure is a nervous
feeling in the exam room. I would have much rather been able to work out
each scenario and answer the questions on Group Policy with confidence.

I did pass and that is important to me, but had to learn a lesson about
becoming over confident with training cd's, and scheduling an exam just to
do it as soon as possible. Finally, I have a 3 day w.e. to view my 70-218
exam cbtnuggets. I'm going to take my time, do my notes, and find more
challenging practice software. I don't know what my big hurry was anyway!
I can't learn going 150 mph just to keep up with Brainac's!

If you made it this far - thanks for reading
Carolina

Mark Griffiths

One thing that I have noticed about the three exams that I
have done so far is that some questions have very little
bearing on what is contained in so-called MS authorised
study guides. They seem to throw in spoilers from other
exams that really test if you know and practice the
subject in a 'live' environment, not if you have read and
understand the books and have tried out the situation
scenarios discussed in the book excersizes. This is a
bastard thing to do but kind of understandable.
I find this very tough as my work is mainly Lotus Domino
(I'm a CLP) (on standalone Win2K servers) system admin and
support in a Novell NDS based environment.
Another thing - with my evenings spent trying to study
(with my 2 year old son bothering to see Internet bus
pictures and to see the planes in MS CSF3 :-<), the whole
process takes soooooooo long to get to the level where I
can pass the exams with confidence. (After a few months I
find that I have forgotten what I learnsd at the start of
the book).
Monday is the 218 exam and I am not confident, having been
told about a few questions...and knowing that the question
matter is not covered by my MS Press 70-218 study guide.

CJ

> Monday is the 218 exam and I am not confident, having been
> told about a few questions...and knowing that the question
> matter is not covered by my MS Press 70-218 study guide.

Thanks for writing, and I wish you good luck on your 218. Please let me
know the results. I'm working on the 218 nuggets now. I'm just going to do
the best I can do because I can't get away from work during the day to
attend all the classes.

Regrds,
Carolina

Mark Griffiths

Good luck - how much different are you finding the current
MCSA/E track? I only got around to doing one MCP for NT4
(with Networking Essentials!!) and I never felt the
complete dread feeling as I do with the Win2K track.

kc

I feel ya. I'm happy to hear you passed. I failed 70-215
because of GPO's. Yes I'm probably the first one to admit
it here but I will try again ( to take the test I mean not
admit something no one else has done ). Permissions
and GPO's have taught me a valuable lesson. GPO's have
become my Moby Dick and I have feeling more Microsoft
certs are heading in that direction. Permissions,
Permissions, Permissions. Sometimes I think I should've
gone into programming.

WOLFF

the first round of tests are always the funky set,
meaning for any given MS certs, you will not get a whole lot
of the same brain busters, thay will change for the better on round two.

"kc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05e401c3440f$37cdac90$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I feel ya. I'm happy to hear you passed. I failed 70-215
> because of GPO's. Yes I'm probably the first one to admit
> it here but I will try again ( to take the test I mean not
> admit something no one else has done ). Permissions
> and GPO's have taught me a valuable lesson. GPO's have
> become my Moby Dick and I have feeling more Microsoft
> certs are heading in that direction. Permissions,
> Permissions, Permissions. Sometimes I think I should've
> gone into programming.

WOLFF

glad I could help some,
if thats a good thing,