Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSA > Re: Recommendations for SQL 2000 Admin 70-228 textbook ?

Re: Recommendations for SQL 2000 Admin 70-228 textbook ?

vt

If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
that you do have experience with.

--
vt

"A.N.Other" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to complete my MCSA with SQL 2000 Admin as the elective.
> The thing is, I have precisely nil experience with SQL.
>
> I've just been laid off, so I'm looking to get the MCSA as soon as I
> can in the hope that will assist me in finding work again. As a
> result, I'm reluctant to buy the usual Microsoft phone book sized
> self-study manual, as this will take ages to wade through. Can someone
> suggest a good trainer for 70-228 that doesn't assume that you know
> the system already, but equally doesn't try to be a full-on reference
> manual as well?
>
> Thanks in advance!

A.N.Other

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:29:27 -0700, "vt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
>that you do have experience with.

I could do 70-216, but I hear it's pretty difficult. I could also do
SMS 2.0, but I gather that it's quite an evil exam and it'll probably
expired a lot sooner than SQL. With SQL, I figured I could learn
something new, plus get a longer lasting qualification.

Our Man Abu

If
"vt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have no experience with SQL I would recommend you use an elective
> that you do have experience with.
>
> --

If there was ever a product where this is sound advice, SQL Server is it. I
remember some years back a colleague has passed serveral networking
certification exams and on his resume said that certifications in C++ and
SQL Server were "pending" when he had no experience with either. I told him
that I didn't know much about the MCSE side of the equation, but having had
my MCSD, I told him he needed a fair amount of hands on with these products
before he could consider certification. He never did get these certs.
Talking certification without wanting to make the sacrifice of at least
"getting your hands" dirty for a few months is a bad idea.

Consultant

how's aladin?

news:L7BLa.5875$(E-Mail Removed)...