Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCITP Enough?

MCITP Enough?

Nowe177

I want a tech support job, and I honestly don't know where to start. I know
I've already made a post awhile ago, but I'll try to be more detailed in this
one.

A college degree is out of the question for personal reasons.

I'll take any kind of help desk, or comp tech job. But it seems most
employers want college degrees. Where can I start? Is it enough to pile a
couple certifications under my belt, or can I apply without certs and work my
way up?

Is there some entry level place I can get into to build experience?

My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
term.

Thanks!

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"Nowe177" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I want a tech support job, and I honestly don't know where to start. I
>know
> I've already made a post awhile ago, but I'll try to be more detailed in
> this
> one.
>
> A college degree is out of the question for personal reasons.
>
> I'll take any kind of help desk, or comp tech job. But it seems most
> employers want college degrees. Where can I start?

Well, you'll need to at least start with employers who do not want college
degrees as a condition of application.

> Is it enough to pile a
> couple certifications under my belt, or can I apply without certs and work
> my
> way up?

Certifications without experience aren't of much value, or credibility.
You'd probably do much better finding ways to document the experience you do
have -- even if it's not *paid* experience. On the other hand, if you do
have experience, albeit not paid, then a certification in a desktop
operating system (MCP: Windows XP, 70-270; MCTS: Windows Vista, 70-260)
would be the first place to start.

> Is there some entry level place I can get into to build experience?

Yep.. but it takes effort to find the employer(s) who have such jobs.

> My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
> term.

"Short term" is going to be a real problem. A history of "short term" jobs
never works well, no matter how much technical expertise you might have, so
you'll also need to be fully prepared to respond to questions about your
lack of tenure at previous jobs.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

CBIC

"Nowe177" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want a tech support job, and I honestly don't know where to start. I
>know
> I've already made a post awhile ago, but I'll try to be more detailed in
> this
> one.
>
> A college degree is out of the question for personal reasons.
>
> I'll take any kind of help desk, or comp tech job. But it seems most
> employers want college degrees. Where can I start? Is it enough to pile
> couple certifications under my belt, or can I apply without certs and work
> my
> way up?
>
> Is there some entry level place I can get into to build experience?
>
> My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
> term.
>
> Thanks!

Why do you want to work in IT? Why not work in a field that doesn't require
working weekends and evenings?

juan

"Nowe177" wrote:

> I want a tech support job, and I honestly don't know where to start. I know
> I've already made a post awhile ago, but I'll try to be more detailed in this
> one.
>
> A college degree is out of the question for personal reasons.
>
> I'll take any kind of help desk, or comp tech job. But it seems most
> employers want college degrees. Where can I start? Is it enough to pile a
> couple certifications under my belt, or can I apply without certs and work my
> way up?
>
> Is there some entry level place I can get into to build experience?
>
> My previous job experience is only a handful of retail jobs I worked short
> term.
>
> Thanks!

Ed Hall

Not sure that a Microsoft certification will get you a job, but it could help
you get an interview out of a whole bunch of other applicants, so is worth
having for job hunting. A good interview performance on top may land you the
job your after.

Probably the easiest certifications to start with are:
MCDST, or
MCITP (Enterprise Support Technician)
(or both as the second is only one more exam than the MCDST).
These are help desk or desktop support related certifications.

All the best,
Ed.

MCITP: EA and MCITP: SA Polo MCITP 2 07-31-2009 04:46 AM
MCITP: Database Developer and MCITP: Database Administrator Robert MCITP 7 12-20-2008 08:59 AM
Is the Upgrade exam from MCDST to MCITP still available? =?Utf-8?B?Z2l4eGVy?= Microsoft Certification 2 05-29-2007 03:21 AM
Latest MCSE MCITP, MCPD TestKing and Pass4Sure Dumps freebraindumps@yahoo.com MCSE 2 03-07-2007 02:18 PM
MCITP database certs =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?= MCSD 0 11-23-2005 02:50 AM

Advertisments