Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Exam question - different kinds of disks

Exam question - different kinds of disks

SteveH

Hello

Can I ask about the kind of questions which I need to expect about basic,
dynamic, and striped disks.

I find it a bit confusing as I have no experience of any disks except basic
ones.

Thanks for any clues!

Steve

Montreal_MCT

Hi Steve,

Good question... it depends on what exam you are talking about.

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> Can I ask about the kind of questions which I need to expect about basic,
> dynamic, and striped disks.
>
> I find it a bit confusing as I have no experience of any disks except
> basic
> ones.
>
> Thanks for any clues!
>
> Steve

SteveH

Hello M

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, it was the MCDST exam.

Cheers

Steve

"Montreal_MCT" wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Good question... it depends on what exam you are talking about.

> Mitch Garvis
> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>
> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > Can I ask about the kind of questions which I need to expect about basic,
> > dynamic, and striped disks.
> >
> > I find it a bit confusing as I have no experience of any disks except
> > basic
> > ones.
> >
> > Thanks for any clues!
> >
> > Steve

Montreal_MCT

I do not remember, but you should know them... it's an easy thing to learn.

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello M
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Sorry, it was the MCDST exam.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve
>

> "Montreal_MCT" wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Good question... it depends on what exam you are talking about.

>> --
>> Mitch Garvis
>> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
>> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>>
>> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > Can I ask about the kind of questions which I need to expect about
>> > basic,
>> > dynamic, and striped disks.
>> >
>> > I find it a bit confusing as I have no experience of any disks except
>> > basic
>> > ones.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any clues!
>> >
>> > Steve

Umapathy (உமாபதி)

First thing about the dynamic disks is that they only introduced with Windows
2000 and available with Windows NT family of operating starting with Windows
2000. Laptops do not support Dynamic disks. Irrespective of the file type
(FAT32 or NTFS) windows 98, Windows Me won't be able to read if you convert
the disk to dynamic disk. Converting basic disk to dynamic disk requires
atleast 1MB free disk base and you won't be able to convert back to Basic
disk without loosing the data. (Well you can back the data to some other
media)

I don't know what questions you get int he exam But basically you should the
following. When it comes to exam nothing beats hands on experience. Just
start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
This will start the device management console. Alternatively you can also
start by right clicking My Computer and choose manage then choose disk
management.

--
Regards
Regunathan Umapathy BSc, A+, MCP

"Montreal_MCT" wrote:

> I do not remember, but you should know them... it's an easy thing to learn.

> Mitch Garvis
> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>
> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello M
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > Sorry, it was the MCDST exam.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Steve
> >

> > "Montreal_MCT" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Steve,
> >>
> >> Good question... it depends on what exam you are talking about.

> >> --
> >> Mitch Garvis
> >> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
> >> http://garvis.ca/blogs
> >>
> >> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

SteveH

Many thanks for your post Regunathan.

Yes, I've briushed up on striped disks, etc - I'm just unsure why anyone
would want to convert to dynamic disks. I've never come across that request
before.

Steve

"Umapathy (உமாபதி)" wrote:

> First thing about the dynamic disks is that they only introduced with Windows
> 2000 and available with Windows NT family of operating starting with Windows
> 2000. Laptops do not support Dynamic disks. Irrespective of the file type
> (FAT32 or NTFS) windows 98, Windows Me won't be able to read if you convert
> the disk to dynamic disk. Converting basic disk to dynamic disk requires
> atleast 1MB free disk base and you won't be able to convert back to Basic
> disk without loosing the data. (Well you can back the data to some other
> media)
>
> I don't know what questions you get int he exam But basically you should the
> following. When it comes to exam nothing beats hands on experience. Just
> start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
> This will start the device management console. Alternatively you can also
> start by right clicking My Computer and choose manage then choose disk
> management.
>
> --
> Regards
> Regunathan Umapathy BSc, A+, MCP
>

> "Montreal_MCT" wrote:
>
> > I do not remember, but you should know them... it's an easy thing to learn.

> > --
> > Mitch Garvis
> > Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
> > http://garvis.ca/blogs
> >
> > "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello M
> > >
> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > >
> > > Sorry, it was the MCDST exam.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Steve

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many thanks for your post Regunathan.
>
> Yes, I've briushed up on striped disks, etc - I'm just unsure why anyone
> would want to convert to dynamic disks. I've never come across that
> request
> before.

Understanding what the purpose of dynamic disks are should quite easily
answer the question of why someone would want to convert a Basic disk to a
Dynamic disk.

Or, in the alternative, look at all the several things you *cannot* do when
a disk is not a Dynamic disk.

First, a Basic disk still contains the core limitations on disk drives, four
primary partitions, or three primary partitions and an extended partition
with logical volumes. "A Dynamic Disk can be used for creating Dynamic
Volumes. A Dynamic Volume can consist of a single partition, multiple
partitions of a single drive, or multiple partitions of multiple physical
hard drives. Dynamic Disks faciliate creation of simple volumes, spanned
volumes, and striped volumes." [From Syngress/Osborne MCSE Windows 2000
Professional Study Guide].

The point here is what cannot be created from a Basic Disk: multiple
partitions of multiple physical hard drives, which are used to create
spanned volumes and striped volumes. In addition, a Dynamic Volume is
resizable without rebooting a computer, a capability that does not exist in
a Basic Disk.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

SteveH

Hello Lawrence

Thanks for your reply.

That's cleared things up - it doesn't seem too complicated an issue to grasp.

Cheers

Steve