Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > self directed study

self directed study

Mark C

I've recently over the last few months, started a self paced training kit to
get an MCDST certification, literally so I can get my foot in the door.

I've got a great understanding of windows, and could... 'probably' go out
and take the test without issue, but I'm finding it rather strange looking
at the Books (Done by new technologies) and then finding questions on their
'ceritification simulator' which, seem totally irrelevant to the subjects in
the book. Not only that, but they dont even seem to be linked in.

I've been told that the cram sheets are an exelent way to study, as
effectivley, you need enough information to pass the test, as in the real
world, your likley to find a unique user base,that probably wont touch on
half of the MCDST course material... (I find that difficult to believe)

I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the pink
shirt.... I forget his name.. seems good, but the Video CD seems to only
give a rough skim of what I need to know compared to the level of detail
covered in the books.
e.g. On the Video training, he explains, you wont need to do a remote
installation of Windows XP so theres no need to cover it

Yet the books explain it's neccesary and give a full breakdown of how to do
it.

This is confusing the heck out of me. Last thing I want to do is overstudy
or study for things I don't need.
Can anyone provide any usefull information or hints for self directed study?

catwalker63

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've recently over the last few months, started a self paced training
> kit to get an MCDST certification, literally so I can get my foot in
> the door.
>
> I've got a great understanding of windows, and could... 'probably' go
> out and take the test without issue, but I'm finding it rather strange
> looking at the Books (Done by new technologies) and then finding
> questions on their 'ceritification simulator' which, seem totally
> irrelevant to the subjects in the book. Not only that, but they dont
> even seem to be linked in.
>
> I've been told that the cram sheets are an exelent way to study, as
> effectivley, you need enough information to pass the test, as in the
> real world, your likley to find a unique user base,that probably wont
> touch on half of the MCDST course material... (I find that difficult
> to believe)
>
> I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the
> pink shirt.... I forget his name.. seems good, but the Video CD seems
> to only give a rough skim of what I need to know compared to the level
> of detail covered in the books.
> e.g. On the Video training, he explains, you wont need to do a remote
> installation of Windows XP so theres no need to cover it
>
> Yet the books explain it's neccesary and give a full breakdown of how
> to do it.
>
> This is confusing the heck out of me. Last thing I want to do is
> overstudy or study for things I don't need.
> Can anyone provide any usefull information or hints for self directed
> study?

Take a thorough gander at the exam objectives on MS Learning. Make sure
you understand all of them. The best way to understand is by using the
software. Reading is fine but it doesn't come close to experience. When
you know those objectives, you're ready for the exam.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Michael D. Alligood

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the pink
> shirt.... I forget his name.

What?!?

Listen to what Catwalker said. Another thing: Don't use certifications
to get your foot in the door. It will get broken. You shouldn't have to
force your way through. Employers will gladly open the door to those who
are proficient.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

Mark C

I'm not sure what it's like for you, but I've no prior experience, and
absolutley noone is willing to interview
Even jobs advertised as "junior" always ask for experience, even on the
lowest possible pay grade, they all want someone experienced.

I'm having the worst time ever in the UK trying to get in, and I've been
applying for over a year, but every single one says "We've gone for someone
with more experience" . It's easy to say "your looking at the wrong jobs"
but I'm looking at 1st line helpdesk,Junior,even jobs advertised as
"starter" jobs, and they all ask for experience.

Thats the trouble in the Uk. noone seems to be willing to accept anyone
without experience, no matter how proficiant they are, But they dont seem to
realise that we want in and want to get experience.... Overa year, and
somewhere in the region of 45 applications... It's absolutley killing me.
and I agree, there is no substitute for experience. I just cant even seem to
get any. I've even written to charities, asking for one day a week working
alongside someone, for free, to gain experience. Noone wants to know.

Michael D. Alligood

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm not sure what it's like for you, but I've no prior experience, and
> absolutley noone is willing to interview
> Even jobs advertised as "junior" always ask for experience, even on the
> lowest possible pay grade, they all want someone experienced.
>
> I'm having the worst time ever in the UK trying to get in, and I've been
> applying for over a year, but every single one says "We've gone for someone
> with more experience" . It's easy to say "your looking at the wrong jobs"
> but I'm looking at 1st line helpdesk,Junior,even jobs advertised as
> "starter" jobs, and they all ask for experience.
>
> Thats the trouble in the Uk. noone seems to be willing to accept anyone
> without experience, no matter how proficiant they are, But they dont seem to
> realise that we want in and want to get experience.... Overa year, and
> somewhere in the region of 45 applications... It's absolutley killing me.
> and I agree, there is no substitute for experience. I just cant even seem to
> get any. I've even written to charities, asking for one day a week working
> alongside someone, for free, to gain experience. Noone wants to know.

One cannot be proficient without experience. It is the sum of experience
and knowledge that make up proficiency. Do not confuse the differences.
Knowledge is knowing how to build a house. Experience tells us not to
build it on sand. Knowing the two makes you a proficient home builder.
Knowledge comes from books, the Internet, conversations. Knowledge can
come in many different forms - as well as experience. It can be as
obvious or disguised. But it's up to you to recognize and take it. Then
it is up to you to sell it. Sell yourself to potential employers. You
are not seeing results because you have nothing to sell. Don't think
certifications are a free pass to employment. They are not.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

Matt R

As for the Microsoft Self-Paced books, they provide a pretty good idea of
what you should know and learn to prepare for the tests. The Simulator CDs
they come with are pretty worthless. like you said, most of what is on those
practice tests are not in the books, and definately were not on the test
when I took it. Just make sure you learn all of the objectives, specifically
Internet options and Outlook stuff.

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently over the last few months, started a self paced training kit
> get an MCDST certification, literally so I can get my foot in the door.
>
> I've got a great understanding of windows, and could... 'probably' go out
> and take the test without issue, but I'm finding it rather strange looking
> at the Books (Done by new technologies) and then finding questions on
> their
> 'ceritification simulator' which, seem totally irrelevant to the subjects
> in
> the book. Not only that, but they dont even seem to be linked in.
>
> I've been told that the cram sheets are an exelent way to study, as
> effectivley, you need enough information to pass the test, as in the real
> world, your likley to find a unique user base,that probably wont touch on
> half of the MCDST course material... (I find that difficult to believe)
>
> I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the pink
> shirt.... I forget his name.. seems good, but the Video CD seems to only
> give a rough skim of what I need to know compared to the level of detail
> covered in the books.
> e.g. On the Video training, he explains, you wont need to do a remote
> installation of Windows XP so theres no need to cover it
>
> Yet the books explain it's neccesary and give a full breakdown of how to
> do
> it.
>
> This is confusing the heck out of me. Last thing I want to do is overstudy
> or study for things I don't need.
> Can anyone provide any usefull information or hints for self directed
> study?

Mark C

That sounds about right to what I've heard, so shouldnt be long untill I
take the test
Do you know if microsoft sends out past papers, like what was on the test
for last year etc?

Do you have any suggestions on getting into the IT industry in the UK? I've
been primarily looking at first line helpdesk roles etc, do you have any
other sugestions as it seems impossible to break into the IT industry
otherwise

Thanks

"Matt R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As for the Microsoft Self-Paced books, they provide a pretty good idea of
> what you should know and learn to prepare for the tests. The Simulator CDs
> they come with are pretty worthless. like you said, most of what is on
> those practice tests are not in the books, and definately were not on the
> test when I took it. Just make sure you learn all of the objectives,
> specifically Internet options and Outlook stuff.
>
> "Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've recently over the last few months, started a self paced training kit
>> get an MCDST certification, literally so I can get my foot in the door.
>>
>> I've got a great understanding of windows, and could... 'probably' go out
>> and take the test without issue, but I'm finding it rather strange
>> looking
>> at the Books (Done by new technologies) and then finding questions on
>> their
>> 'ceritification simulator' which, seem totally irrelevant to the subjects
>> in
>> the book. Not only that, but they dont even seem to be linked in.
>>
>> I've been told that the cram sheets are an exelent way to study, as
>> effectivley, you need enough information to pass the test, as in the real
>> world, your likley to find a unique user base,that probably wont touch on
>> half of the MCDST course material... (I find that difficult to believe)
>>
>> I've also got the video training done by that Microsoft Guy in the pink
>> shirt.... I forget his name.. seems good, but the Video CD seems to only
>> give a rough skim of what I need to know compared to the level of detail
>> covered in the books.
>> e.g. On the Video training, he explains, you wont need to do a remote
>> installation of Windows XP so theres no need to cover it
>>
>> Yet the books explain it's neccesary and give a full breakdown of how to
>> do
>> it.
>>
>> This is confusing the heck out of me. Last thing I want to do is
>> overstudy
>> or study for things I don't need.
>> Can anyone provide any usefull information or hints for self directed
>> study?

catwalker63

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That sounds about right to what I've heard, so shouldnt be long until
> I take the test
>
> Do you know if microsoft sends out past papers, like what was on the
> test for last year etc?
>
> Do you have any suggestions on getting into the IT industry in the UK?
> I've been primarily looking at first line helpdesk roles etc, do you
> have any other sugestions as it seems impossible to break into the IT
> industry otherwise

The only thing MS tells you about what is on the test is in the
Objectives. They don't publish exam questions and they will litigate
against anyone who does.

As for "breaking" into the IT industry, like any other profession, you
work your way up and pay your dues. You may have to do work for little
or no money initially to get experience (volunteer, setup your own lab,
fix friends and family computers). It's not impossible, but it is hard
work. Certifications are fine but don't expect them to get you a job.
The more experience you have, the more employable you are, so that is
your hourly, daily, monthly goal: getting experience.

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"Definitely not wearing any underwear."

Beth

I agree with you mark, I can't even get an interview as a secretary in a tech
company. I gave up!