Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: Newbie question

Re: Newbie question

Michael D. Alligood

"David" <anonymous> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I don't know if this was the best choice, but I just ordered a replacement
> media from Microsoft for $30.
>
> This still beats $90 for a new OS....
>
> David
>
> "David" <anonymous> wrote in message :
>

> > I've received a computer to repair for a friend that has a bad hard
> > drive...it won't even spin up. I have no disks to reinstall his oem
> > version of XP Home Edition on the new replacement drive. There is a
> > sticker on the computer with the product key. But we need the missing
> > disk.
> >
> > How do you MCDST computer techs usually handle this situation? I assume
> > that I'll have to buy a new operating system.
> >
> > Or is there an alternative (and still legal) way to do this without
> > spending another $90 for an OS disk?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > David

Depending on the brand of computer, they will normally send you a
replacement disc if you call them. I know Dell and HP will.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

6/29/2008 3:09 PM

Ricardo Parraga

Like Michael said if the system is under warranty calling tech support you
should be getting the right media ( OS CD, Drivers CD, And Applications CD )
If not under warranty still you can get the Media at a relative cheap price (
I have seen Dell selling OEM CD for $10 if you have a Dell System )

The Installation of the OS with sticker on the computer with the product key
sometimes doesn't work due to the build version of the OS ( I believe,
correct me if I'm wrong ), or using that OEM Key with a retail OS
installation CD.
--
Ricardo Parraga
A+, MCP, MCDST.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> "David" <anonymous> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I don't know if this was the best choice, but I just ordered a replacement
> > media from Microsoft for $30.
> >
> > This still beats $90 for a new OS....
> >
> > David
> >
> > "David" <anonymous> wrote in message :
> >

> > > I've received a computer to repair for a friend that has a bad hard
> > > drive...it won't even spin up. I have no disks to reinstall his oem
> > > version of XP Home Edition on the new replacement drive. There is a
> > > sticker on the computer with the product key. But we need the missing
> > > disk.
> > >
> > > How do you MCDST computer techs usually handle this situation? I assume
> > > that I'll have to buy a new operating system.
> > >
> > > Or is there an alternative (and still legal) way to do this without
> > > spending another $90 for an OS disk?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > David

> Depending on the brand of computer, they will normally send you a
> replacement disc if you call them. I know Dell and HP will.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST, A+
> The I.T. Classroom Blog - http://www.theitclassroom.com

> 6/29/2008 3:09 PM

Lawrence Garvin

"Ricardo Parraga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Like Michael said if the system is under warranty calling tech support you
> should be getting the right media ( OS CD, Drivers CD, And Applications
> CD )
> If not under warranty still you can get the Media at a relative cheap
> price (
> I have seen Dell selling OEM CD for $10 if you have a Dell System )
>
> The Installation of the OS with sticker on the computer with the product
> key
> sometimes doesn't work due to the build version of the OS ( I believe,
> correct me if I'm wrong ), or using that OEM Key with a retail OS
> installation CD.

In late 2006 (IIRC), Microsoft radically changed how it handled Product Keys
and Activation for OEM licensed machines.

As a result, most Product Keys issued prior to that date must also be
combined with media that contains the Product ID that matches that Product
Key.

Microsoft also made modifications with the release of XP SP2, due to the
widely known compromised Product Key for XP RTM.

If the O.P. tried an XP SP2 media and it failed, it's quite likely the
machine was originally installed with RTM media.

I haven't checked, but MS may also be using different Product IDs on the
various OEM medias (XP RTM, XP SP2, XP SP3),
in which case the Product Keys would not be interchangable.

Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

yoge mcp

i think this guy need a win xp bootable version it might work with that problem
yogesh mishra mcp