Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Hi, Very new newbie.

Hi, Very new newbie.

Jason

Hi all,

I am a very new to IT, currently studding to wards MCDST and eventually
MCSE. This is a complete career change for me, I have spent time in
customer services, and as a professional driver (Heavy goods) so something
totally new.

What I would like to know is two things;

1) How and what is the best way to get a career in IT with zero experience?
(I have just passed CompTIA A+ certified IT Technician)

2) Dose any one have any good tips on how to self study (which is what I am
doing through a training company), where to look for technical information.
etc, etc?

Tips, advice, experiences are all welcome.

thanks all for your support

Jason

p.s. if spelling is bad it's because I have a dyslexic key board. ko!!!!

John R

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I am a very new to IT, currently studding to wards MCDST and eventually
> MCSE. This is a complete career change for me, I have spent time in
> customer services, and as a professional driver (Heavy goods) so something
> totally new.
>
> What I would like to know is two things;
>
> 1) How and what is the best way to get a career in IT with zero
> experience? (I have just passed CompTIA A+ certified IT Technician)
>
> 2) Dose any one have any good tips on how to self study (which is what I
> am doing through a training company), where to look for technical
> information. etc, etc?
>
> Tips, advice, experiences are all welcome.
>
> thanks all for your support

Hi Jason,

First piece of advice I give to people who are thinking about entering IT...
Run. Run as fast as you can. My son-in-law makes pretty good money
delivering pizza, and my daughter does pretty well as a waitress. Why would
you want to get into IT? The only time you hear from people is when they
have a problem, and then they stand right behind you and watch your every
move while you try to figure out how to politely tell them the problem is
the short between the keyboard and ground. If you obtain your goal of MCSE,
you'll spend most of your day reviewing log files, changing backup tapes,
and just in general taking crap from everyone else in the company.
Seriously! Plus, everything that you learn on your way to Microsoft
certifications will only be used for the cert. Nobody uses Microsoft
products for everything. So, you study Microsoft backup and get a job where
they use Symantec Backup Exec. You'll study RRAS, and get a job where they
use a Cisco VPN Concentrator. How many more examples do you want? Then of
course, when you do actually have a great change or fix to the network, you
can't do it during the day when people are actually using it, you have to
install changes at midnight, or on weekends. If you're lucky, you'll have a
test network to test on, otherwise you are testing overnight as well. (BTW,
IT jobs typically aren't paid by the hour, the good ones anyway, and forget
about OT pay).

Well, if you're still reading this, you obviously aren't going to take that
advice.

I found that the MS Press books are pretty good. Here are a couple links to
the MCDST series...

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/8796.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/8771.aspx

Cybex and a few others make good training books as well.

As to where to find things... http://search.support.microsoft.com,
http://technet.microsoft.com, etc.

As to getting that first job... hmmm, that's a toughie. Your first job will
most likely be an entry level position, maybe working desktop helpdesk or
network assistant, something like that. You'll find it probably won't pay
what you want. Once you 'pay your dues', like every other career, then the
money starts to increase. You may even consider volunteering for a
non-profit organization, or an internship just to get something to put on
your resume. We've had a few of those at my company that we did hire after
a couple years.

And of course, you're going to hear 'Certifications are about experience'.
While this is true, you will find that more and more employers are looking
for certifications as qualifications for entry level positions. A real
catch-22.

I setup a home lab with a server and two clients. Initially, I had three
machines. Now, I just have one good machine with a couple virtual PCs.
Look into VirtualPC. It is a free product from Microsoft and can help cut
down on expenses. As I went through the books, I did every exercise in
them. I dreamed up scenarios and made them work (for example, sharing files
and printers between domain and non-domain machines on separate subnets).
My studying was more for the certification tests than for training however.
I had lots of experience prior to taking my first test. I actually started
as an applications programmer and slowly moved into IT over a long period of
time (about 10 years). Your mileage may vary.

Good luck to you, whatever road you choose.

John R

Jason

Hi John R.

Thanks for your post,

Pizza delivery, waitresing are those not the same things as IT, people only
want you when they need or want somthing. Both can be pressured jobs,
people moaning that their pizza is 1 nano second over the 30min deliver time
and wanting somthing for nothing, and to complain at the waitress when they
find that the "clean" fork still has the last persons dinner still attached
to it whilst your getting desert for the other tables. None of us are
appreciated no matter what career we chose, its just the satisfaction that
the career we do chose gives us this satisfaction knowing that with out us
their computer wont work, they wont be able to get pizza, or be able to moan
at that poor waitress.

I have the MS Press book already, it is what the training company sent out.
I have book marked the 2 links you gave, thanks
Ill have a look at virtual PC,sounds like it could be a usefull tool.

thanks again

John R

"Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi John R.
>
> Thanks for your post,
>
> Pizza delivery, waitresing are those not the same things as IT, people
> only want you when they need or want somthing.

When was the last time someone left a 15% tip on your keyboard?

Besides, most of the time, people are happy to get their pizza, or their
order. In IT, once you resolve their issue, most of the time they grumble
at you that it took so long, or that they 'never should have had the issue
to begin with if they had a "real" IT staff'.

I shouldn't be so negative, I can remember that one time that someone said
'Thank you'.

(No, I'm not having a bad day, just making light fun of the job)

John R

CBIC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> When was the last time someone left a 15% tip on your keyboard?

When was the last time you heard a waitress or a pizza guy getting stock
options. What's that you say? You don't have stock options. Then you're
working for the wrong company.

John R

news:OMx$g$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> When was the last time someone left a 15% tip on your keyboard?
>>

> When was the last time you heard a waitress or a pizza guy getting stock
> options. What's that you say? You don't have stock options. Then you're
> working for the wrong company.

<Bends to one knee in recognition of your stock optioness>

And, yes, you are correct, I am

John R

Jason

" When was the last time you heard a waitress or a pizza guy getting stock
options. What's that you say? You don't have stock options. Then you're
working for the wrong company."

The only time they have stock options is when they decided what bottle of
wine to take home with them at the end of their shift.....

Ed Hall

Hi Jason,

For your MCDST study, Microsoft allows access to a free e-learning course
which may help:
https://www.microsoftelearning.com/e...courseId=26272

This is not suitable on it's own (they have other courses for studying for
271 and 272 from scratch), but combined with your MS Press books will be
great.

All the best, Ed.

"Jason" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a very new to IT, currently studding to wards MCDST and eventually
> MCSE. This is a complete career change for me, I have spent time in
> customer services, and as a professional driver (Heavy goods) so something
> totally new.
>
> What I would like to know is two things;
>
> 1) How and what is the best way to get a career in IT with zero experience?
> (I have just passed CompTIA A+ certified IT Technician)
>
> 2) Dose any one have any good tips on how to self study (which is what I am
> doing through a training company), where to look for technical information.
> etc, etc?
>
> Tips, advice, experiences are all welcome.
>
> thanks all for your support
>
> Jason
>
> p.s. if spelling is bad it's because I have a dyslexic key board. ko!!!!

Jason

thanks ED for your help

news:(E-Mail Removed)...