Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Evaluation CD problem

Evaluation CD problem

SteveH

Hello

I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
bought for the exam.

I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the exam.

Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already installed
Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.

How would I overcome that problem?

Thanks.

Steve

AJR

SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
Pro without the service pack.

There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
> bought for the exam.
>
> I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
> that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
> exam.
>
> Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
> saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
> installed
> Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
>
> How would I overcome that problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve

PAJ

On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:42:55 -0400, "AJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
>within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
>includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
>Pro without the service pack.
>
>There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.

Yeah, or you could always upgrade to Windows 98.

John R

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
> bought for the exam.
>
> I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
> that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
> exam.
>
> Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
> saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
> installed
> Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
>
> How would I overcome that problem?
>
> Thanks.

When you run the CD from within a windows environment, it wants to "upgrade"
your current windows installation. If you want to install the trial version
to run separately, and leave your existing installation alone, boot the CD
and install it to a partition other than where your current windows is
installed.

Note: I make no claims that you will not accidentally pick the partition
where your current windows is installed and wipe out your current version of
windows. Should you do so, you agree up front that by reading this message,
you absolve me of all claims of liability, both current and future, and that
your only remedy from me will be for me to further clarify how to do it
properly once I calm down from my laughing.

John R

Lawrence Garvin

> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
>> bought for the exam.
>>
>> I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
>> that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
>> exam.
>>
>> Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
>> saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
>> installed
>> Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
>>
>> How would I overcome that problem?

>"AJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
> within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
> includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
> Pro without the service pack.
>
> There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.

Ironically, the first two chapters of those exam training books teach
=exactly= how to address this situation!!!

Follow the exercises Steve... don't work ahead.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

SteveH

Hello

Thank you for your replies.

I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.

This is what I tried:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B

DISKPART> select disk c

The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]

The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

DISKPART> create partition extended 5000

The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

DISKPART>

As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my drive
0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can see.

Steve

"John R" wrote:

> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > I received a 120-day Win XP Professional CD with the Microsoft books I
> > bought for the exam.
> >
> > I have Win XP (Home) at the moment and wanted to partition my C drive so
> > that I could have both Home and Professional while working towards the
> > exam.
> >
> > Over the weekend, however, when I put the CD in the tray, I get a message
> > saying the CD can't be installed as the copy of Windows (my already
> > installed
> > Home edition) is newer than the version I was trying to install.
> >
> > How would I overcome that problem?
> >
> > Thanks.

> When you run the CD from within a windows environment, it wants to "upgrade"
> your current windows installation. If you want to install the trial version
> to run separately, and leave your existing installation alone, boot the CD
> and install it to a partition other than where your current windows is
> installed.
>
> Note: I make no claims that you will not accidentally pick the partition
> where your current windows is installed and wipe out your current version of
> windows. Should you do so, you agree up front that by reading this message,
> you absolve me of all claims of liability, both current and future, and that
> your only remedy from me will be for me to further clarify how to do it
> properly once I calm down from my laughing.
>
> John R

John R

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> Thank you for your replies.
>
> I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
> evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.
>
> This is what I tried:
>
> DISKPART> list disk
>
> Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
> -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
> Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B
>
> DISKPART> select disk c
>
> The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
>
> DISKPART> select disk 0
>
> Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
>
> DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]
>
> The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
>
> DISKPART> create partition extended 5000
>
> The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
>
> DISKPART>
>
> As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
> disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my
> drive
> 0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can
> see.
>
> Steve

It looks to me as if your disk 0 has 114GB, all of which is allocated to
your current C: drive. I don't know if DISKPART can deal with that or not
as I am unfamiliar with that tool. However, there is no space available to
create an extended partition. There are other utilities out there which can
resize an existing partition, or you can backup your C: drive using ghost or
something like that to some other device, delete and recreate your C: drive
partition (only smaller), and then restore it. However, it would probably
be easier to just go pick up a small hard drive and install it in your
computer, and then load your eval on that drive.

John R

SteveH

Yes, I think you're right, John. I'll pick up a small hard drive of 20 or so
GB and install the disk on that.

Many thanks for your time.

Steve

"John R" wrote:

> "SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > Thank you for your replies.
> >
> > I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
> > evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.
> >
> > This is what I tried:
> >
> > DISKPART> list disk
> >
> > Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
> > -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
> > Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B
> >
> > DISKPART> select disk c
> >
> > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
> >
> > DISKPART> select disk 0
> >
> > Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
> >
> > DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]
> >
> > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
> >
> > DISKPART> create partition extended 5000
> >
> > The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.
> >
> > DISKPART>
> >
> > As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
> > disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my
> > drive
> > 0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can
> > see.
> >
> > Steve
> >

> It looks to me as if your disk 0 has 114GB, all of which is allocated to
> your current C: drive. I don't know if DISKPART can deal with that or not
> as I am unfamiliar with that tool. However, there is no space available to
> create an extended partition. There are other utilities out there which can
> resize an existing partition, or you can backup your C: drive using ghost or
> something like that to some other device, delete and recreate your C: drive
> partition (only smaller), and then restore it. However, it would probably
> be easier to just go pick up a small hard drive and install it in your
> computer, and then load your eval on that drive.
>
> John R

John R

"SteveH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I think you're right, John. I'll pick up a small hard drive of 20 or
> so
> GB and install the disk on that.
>
> Many thanks for your time.
>
> Steve
>
> "John R" wrote:

I found a pretty good article on using DISKPART (sorry, I didn't realize at
the time that this was the native tool). At any rate, it looks like
shrinking is supported, but I would still make sure I had a real good backup
of my drive before I did that. (I think I'd still do an add-on drive, it's
so much more simplistic). At any rate, here is the link...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...0-2003-and-xp/

John R

John R

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I found a pretty good article on using DISKPART (sorry, I didn't realize
> at the time that this was the native tool). At any rate, it looks like
> shrinking is supported, but I would still make sure I had a real good
> backup of my drive before I did that. (I think I'd still do an add-on
> drive, it's so much more simplistic). At any rate, here is the link...
>
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...0-2003-and-xp/

Hmmm, the 'shrink querymax' command doesn't seem to work anyway, maybe that
is a vista enhancement.

John R