Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Cost

Chris C

I am starting preparing for MCDST and was just wondering what peoples
thoughts were on why books, practice tests and a whole load of other
materials are all required to prepare you for the test woudl it not make more
sense to have a practical exam were you actually proved you can investigate
and troubleshoot and resolve problems with XP. Seems everything you do with
Microsoft is cost cost cost!

Chris Lobban

Chris C wrote:
> I am starting preparing for MCDST and was just wondering what peoples
> thoughts were on why books, practice tests and a whole load of other
> materials are all required to prepare you for the test woudl it not make more
> sense to have a practical exam were you actually proved you can investigate
> and troubleshoot and resolve problems with XP. Seems everything you do with
> Microsoft is cost cost cost!

Perhaps, it would. But it would also make sense if there was a period
somewhere before the fifth line of that sentence, because it's extremely
hard to read.

As to your question, it seems that it's impossible to answer, because
it's based on a faulty premise. You're asking 'why books, practice tests
and a whole load of other materials are all required to prepare...'.
When I took the MCDST exams I didn't use any books or practice tests or
other materials to prepare, because I felt that I'd already been
preparing for about 5 years at that point, by working my day-to-day job.
So even if the test isn't entirely practical (although there are
simulations in it), if you do have enough practical experience you
should be able to pass the test without all the other expensive stuff.

Chris

Chris C

Nice one Chris I have 4 years experience and have a degree in Computer
Networking so may do some study but think I have enough knowledge to go for it

"Chris Lobban" wrote:

> Chris C wrote:
> > I am starting preparing for MCDST and was just wondering what peoples
> > thoughts were on why books, practice tests and a whole load of other
> > materials are all required to prepare you for the test woudl it not make more
> > sense to have a practical exam were you actually proved you can investigate
> > and troubleshoot and resolve problems with XP. Seems everything you do with
> > Microsoft is cost cost cost!

> Perhaps, it would. But it would also make sense if there was a period
> somewhere before the fifth line of that sentence, because it's extremely
> hard to read.
>
> As to your question, it seems that it's impossible to answer, because
> it's based on a faulty premise. You're asking 'why books, practice tests
> and a whole load of other materials are all required to prepare...'.
> When I took the MCDST exams I didn't use any books or practice tests or
> other materials to prepare, because I felt that I'd already been
> preparing for about 5 years at that point, by working my day-to-day job.
> So even if the test isn't entirely practical (although there are
> simulations in it), if you do have enough practical experience you
> should be able to pass the test without all the other expensive stuff.
>
> Chris

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Chris C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Nice one Chris I have 4 years experience and have a degree in Computer
> Networking so may do some study but think I have enough knowledge to go for it
>
> "Chris Lobban" wrote:
>
> > Chris C wrote:
> > > I am starting preparing for MCDST and was just wondering what peoples
> > > thoughts were on why books, practice tests and a whole load of other
> > > materials are all required to prepare you for the test woudl it not make more
> > > sense to have a practical exam were you actually proved you can investigate
> > > and troubleshoot and resolve problems with XP. Seems everything you do with
> > > Microsoft is cost cost cost!

> > Perhaps, it would. But it would also make sense if there was a period
> > somewhere before the fifth line of that sentence, because it's extremely
> > hard to read.
> >
> > As to your question, it seems that it's impossible to answer, because
> > it's based on a faulty premise. You're asking 'why books, practice tests
> > and a whole load of other materials are all required to prepare...'.
> > When I took the MCDST exams I didn't use any books or practice tests or
> > other materials to prepare, because I felt that I'd already been
> > preparing for about 5 years at that point, by working my day-to-day job.
> > So even if the test isn't entirely practical (although there are
> > simulations in it), if you do have enough practical experience you
> > should be able to pass the test without all the other expensive stuff.
> >
> > Chris

And again, no punctuation.

Let me start with your first epiphany which states, "seems everything
you do with Microsoft is cost cost cost!" Is this not with everything in
life? So now that Microsoft is this huge multi-billion company, they
should just stop and say, "Geez, you know we have all this money now.
Perhaps we should think about becoming a non-for-profit company." The
cost is there because the demand is there. Besides, the costs of the
books, practice exams and other study material you mentioned are not set
by Microsoft! They are set by the publishers of those materials, which
want to... wait for it... make a profit.

You made the point of suggestion a "practical exam were you actually
proved you can investigate and troubleshoot and resolve problems with
XP." Great point! I wish someone would have thought about that before
<see over 1 million similar post in newsgroups>. Think about this for a
moment. If you are complaining about cost now, how much do you think the
cost of the exams will increase if this suggestion becomes reality? I am
not saying this is a bad suggestion. However, it is a bad form when you
just complained about the price of tea in China.

Also just so you know, your 4 years experience and degree in Computer
Networking doesn't mean much if you don't know the objectives for the
exam. With that said, good luck in your pursuit.

Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -