Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Next Step

Next Step

rvela

I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
take?

Thanks!

John R

"rvela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
> take?
>
> Thanks!

First off, congrats on obtaining MCDST. The next logical step for you is
not something we can answer. All we really know about you is that you go
by 'rvela'. What do you do? What do you want to do? Where do you see
yourself in 5 years? What are your goals in life? What opportunities exist
for you to realize your goals? What steps do you think you need to take to
realize those goals?

MCDST is related to Windows XP. Do you want to support XP for the rest of
your life?

Do you want to take on Vista? If so, then MCTS in Vista Config, and maybe
MCITP Enterprise Support Tech might be your next goal (See 70-621, or 70-620
and 70-622). Do you want to move towards the server world? Then maybe
MCSA - 2003 might look attractive, or in the 2008 world, MCTS Server 2008
and MCITP System Administration (or whatever they finally decide to call
it).

Do you want to be a jazz musician? Do you want to be a doormat? Do you
think you might want to be a high ranking military official?

It's all too hard to tell by just 'rvela'.

I would suggest that given your post, maybe your next step would be to
consult a career counselor.

Good luck to you in whatever road you choose.

John R

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"rvela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed):

> I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
> take?
>
> Thanks!

I would take the exam I had the most experience with in regards of
tested technology and objectives. But that's just me.

Microsoft Exam Security Newsgroup -

hongem_y

Good for you... I am new to this. I studied to prepare myself for the 70-271
exam but I don't know where to start?

1. Should I go to training classes?
2. Should I study from books and practice exams?
3. After studying, should I just pay $100 plus for the exam?

Pls. let me know if you can help.

Thanks
Amy

"rvela" wrote:

> I passed the MCDST and am wondering what would be the next logical test to
> take?
>
> Thanks!

TheITGirl

"hongem_y" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good for you... I am new to this. I studied to prepare myself for the
> 70-271
> exam but I don't know where to start?
>
> 1. Should I go to training classes?
> 2. Should I study from books and practice exams?
> 3. After studying, should I just pay $100 plus for the exam?
>
> Pls. let me know if you can help.
>
> Thanks
> Amy

Hi Amy

Welcome to the newsgroup!

Do you have any hands-on experience in supporting and troubleshooting
Windows XP? If not, I would give it 6 to 12 months before thinking about
taking the exams.

That's not to say you can't get a couple of books and start reading now,
though. I find a combination MS Press and Exam Cram have got me through the
tests so far.

Both of these come with CDs with practice tests on them. Personally, I
always leave the practice tests until a couple of weeks or so before I want
to take the test, just to see if I'm ready. I don't use them to study with.
I don't buy additional practice tests, either. Finding legal practice tests
on the Internet can be quite difficult, but they do exist -
www.certguard.com will be able to help you there. I believe Transcender are
quite popular. There are a lot of companies out there that sell illegal
braindumps - answers to actual questions on previous tests - and guarantee
you pass the test, but you risk losing your certifications. Moreover, if
you just learn by rote the answers to a bunch of questions, you're not
actually learning about the technology itself and so will not become a
better DST - only hands-on experience can do that.

Training classes tend to be quite expensive and intensive, so I prefer to
just get the books, get some hands-on practice and book the exam when I feel
I'm ready.

When you feel you're ready to sit the exam, you just visit the Prometric
website and schedule a test at a test centre near you. As the fee hasn't
changed in the UK for some time, I would imagine it is still $125 in the
States too.

I wish you all the best in your studies and in your career.

IT Girl MCDST