Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > currently an MCDST on WinXP... what next?

currently an MCDST on WinXP... what next?

Wikichugoku

i'm certified since 2005, and i'm thinking about upgrading my certification.
i'm just not sure where to go.

when i got certified, my first real and close-to IT work was when i became a
corporate help desk service analyst. prior to getting that post, i used to be
a tech support representative helping people fix their computers over the
phone. i also do hands-on computer repairs, OS and apps installation, and
upgrading.

inasmuch as i'd like to upgrade my certification, i'm just not sure where to
go. i don't have server exposure, and i've so forgotten how to do programming
(never really learned VB back in college, haha). i'd like to learn, but i
don't know where to start. i'm happy with fixing desktops, but i hope i can
do more.

any suggestions, guys? thanks!

TBone

And on the eigth day <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause
the electrons to come together and form the following words:

> inasmuch as i'd like to upgrade my certification, i'm just not sure
> where to go. i don't have server exposure, and i've so forgotten how
> to do programming (never really learned VB back in college, haha). i'd
> like to learn, but i don't know where to start. i'm happy with fixing
> desktops, but i hope i can do more.

The next step in MS certification is MCSA followed by MCSE. Both are
designed for people who already ahve experience in maintaining servers.
So probably not you best choice.

For the most part certifications are designed to prove you already know
something, not to help you learn. So I think you are approaching this
backwards. Figure out where you want to go in your career and start
learning about the technologies involved in that path.

Having said that, where you are now, I suppose A+ could be helpful
although its not an "upgrade" as you were talking about.

-------

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Ronald

Perhaps you may consider pursuing a certification that is geared toward the
job that you really want.

Best Regards