Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > New Profession

New Profession

Fran

Hello,
I'm interested in changing careers and getting into the IT profession. Is
the MCDST certification the first step to get my foot in the door?

Robert Williams [CertGuard]

"Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I'm interested in changing careers and getting into the IT profession. Is
> the MCDST certification the first step to get my foot in the door?

Fran,

As you'll soon find out, there are many misconceptions
about certifications; one of them being that you'll get a job by having them.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from earning certifications, because they do have
their worth, just make sure you're earning them for the right reasons.

Here are a couple articles written by some good friends of mine that may help
you on your path to certification.

Certifications Alone do not Make the Pro by Mitch D. Garvis, MCT
http://www.certguard.com/Certificati...ke-the-Pro.asp

Why Certify? by Michael D. Alligood
http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp

Seven Steps to Certification Success by Michael D. Alligood
http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps...on-Success.asp

We have other Articles that may also interest you on this page
http://www.certguard.com/Articles.asp and we have many resources dedicated to
keeping individuals away from the illegal study materials on the internet.

Good Luck on your Certifications!!

--
CertGuard

Fran

Thanks you for the information. It was very helpful. In one of the articles
it mentions to volunteer, how do you go about finding a place to volunteer?
Most large companies, if you asked them would look at you like you were
crazy. Especially in this day and age

..
"Robert Williams [CertGuard]" <Newsgroups@> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>> I'm interested in changing careers and getting into the IT profession.
>> Is
>> the MCDST certification the first step to get my foot in the door?
>>

> Fran,
>
> As you'll soon find out, there are many misconceptions
> about certifications; one of them being that you'll get a job by having
> them.
>
> I'm not trying to dissuade you from earning certifications, because they
> do have
> their worth, just make sure you're earning them for the right reasons.
>
> Here are a couple articles written by some good friends of mine that may
> help
> you on your path to certification.
>
> Certifications Alone do not Make the Pro by Mitch D. Garvis, MCT
> http://www.certguard.com/Certificati...ke-the-Pro.asp
>
> Why Certify? by Michael D. Alligood
> http://www.certguard.com/Why-Certify.asp
>
> Seven Steps to Certification Success by Michael D. Alligood
> http://www.certguard.com/Seven-Steps...on-Success.asp
>
> We have other Articles that may also interest you on this page
> http://www.certguard.com/Articles.asp and we have many resources dedicated
> keeping individuals away from the illegal study materials on the internet.
>

> Good Luck on your Certifications!!
>
> --
> CertGuard

TheITGirl

news:Xns99AABE799B865catwalker63athotmail@216.196. 97.136...
> "Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Thanks you for the information. It was very helpful. In one of the
>> articles it mentions to volunteer, how do you go about finding a place
>> to volunteer? Most large companies, if you asked them would look at
>> you like you were crazy. Especially in this day and age
>>

> Don't volunteer to work for corporations. Volunteer to help non-profits.
> United Way and Volunteer Match both have ways to connect volunteers with
> organizations.
>

> --
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

Hi Fran

I successfully made the career change from legal secretary to IT - it
**can** be done!

Unfortunately, it isn't an easy field to break into, as most advertised jobs
require some experience. You may be lucky and find a trainee position or
student placement (which will not be very well paid, unfortunately), or you
may need to check out volunteer opportunities, as suggested by Robert and
Cat.

Good luck!

IT Girl MCDST

Robert Williams [CertGuard]

"Fran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks you for the information. It was very helpful. In one of the articles it
> mentions to volunteer, how do you go about finding a place to volunteer? Most
> large companies, if you asked them would look at you like you were crazy.
> Especially in this day and age
>
> .

I would definitely take the advice of catwalker and ITGirl.

Being that you're in the US, there are HUNDREDS of Not for profit organizations
that strive off of volunteers and often hire those individuals if both parties
are satisfied.

A good place to start is Google. I used keywords such as "volunteer",
"non-profit", and "orgs"

This is just one place that turned up in my search:
http://www.volunteermatch.org/

Good Luck on your endeavor!

--
CertGuard