Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > how difficult is the 70-271

how difficult is the 70-271

p7t14

I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and have
just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for a
few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few weeks
to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the month,
do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise tests?
Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything else
before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much appreciated!!!

Cheers

TheITGirl

"p7t14" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and
> have
> just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for
> few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few
> weeks
> to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the
> month,
> do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise
> tests?
> Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything
> else
> before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much
> appreciated!!!
>
> Cheers

How long is a piece of string?

Seriously, it depends on how well prepared you are. Do you have any
practical experience troubleshooting Windows XP?

I found the actual test questions similar in difficulty to the ones on the
CD. However, no single source, not even the Microsoft Press books, cover
all the potential topics you could be asked about in the exam. I would
therefore recommend you purchase a second book, such as the Exam Cram (this
also comes with its own practice test CD) to plug the gaps.

Best wishes

IT Girl MCDST

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"TheITGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "p7t14" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and
> > have
> > just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for
> > few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few
> > weeks
> > to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the
> > month,
> > do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise
> > tests?
> > Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything
> > else
> > before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much
> > appreciated!!!
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> How long is a piece of string?
>
> Seriously, it depends on how well prepared you are. Do you have any
> practical experience troubleshooting Windows XP?
>
> I found the actual test questions similar in difficulty to the ones on the
> CD. However, no single source, not even the Microsoft Press books, cover
> all the potential topics you could be asked about in the exam. I would
> therefore recommend you purchase a second book, such as the Exam Cram (this
> also comes with its own practice test CD) to plug the gaps.
>
> Best wishes
>
> IT Girl MCDST

My crystal ball is wore out. I blame MotoChick.

I have to agree with my esteemed colleague here. We cannot tell you if
you are ready to take the exam. Your experience in the technology, your
confidence in your abilities, and your ability under pressure to display
that knowledge during exam time determine your pass or fail status. Good
luck.
--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

Jo

I didn't "wear out" your crystal ball - I simply shattered it !!! Anyway, I
thought you said you traded it in for an eight ball....anybody got an idea as
to what to get Michael for Christmas?! Oh, I can see the boxes arriving
now... :^)
--
Motochick

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:

> "TheITGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > "p7t14" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and
> > > have
> > > just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for
> > > few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few
> > > weeks
> > > to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the
> > > month,
> > > do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise
> > > tests?
> > > Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything
> > > else
> > > before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much
> > > appreciated!!!
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >

> > How long is a piece of string?
> >
> > Seriously, it depends on how well prepared you are. Do you have any
> > practical experience troubleshooting Windows XP?
> >
> > I found the actual test questions similar in difficulty to the ones on the
> > CD. However, no single source, not even the Microsoft Press books, cover
> > all the potential topics you could be asked about in the exam. I would
> > therefore recommend you purchase a second book, such as the Exam Cram (this
> > also comes with its own practice test CD) to plug the gaps.
> >
> > Best wishes
> >
> > IT Girl MCDST

> My crystal ball is wore out. I blame MotoChick.
>
> I have to agree with my esteemed colleague here. We cannot tell you if
> you are ready to take the exam. Your experience in the technology, your
> confidence in your abilities, and your ability under pressure to display
> that knowledge during exam time determine your pass or fail status. Good
> luck.
> --
> Michael D. Alligood,
> MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

Montreal MCT

I was going to get him some tea leaves... nobody else better beat me to it!

(and I even get to drink the tea!)

--
Mitch Garvis, MCT
MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
"Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I didn't "wear out" your crystal ball - I simply shattered it !!! Anyway,
> thought you said you traded it in for an eight ball....anybody got an idea
> as
> to what to get Michael for Christmas?! Oh, I can see the boxes arriving
> now... :^)
> --
> Motochick
>

> "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:
>
>> "TheITGirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > "p7t14" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > How long is a piece of string?
>> >
>> > Seriously, it depends on how well prepared you are. Do you have any
>> > practical experience troubleshooting Windows XP?
>> >
>> > I found the actual test questions similar in difficulty to the ones on
>> > the
>> > CD. However, no single source, not even the Microsoft Press books,
>> > cover
>> > all the potential topics you could be asked about in the exam. I would
>> > therefore recommend you purchase a second book, such as the Exam Cram
>> > (this
>> > also comes with its own practice test CD) to plug the gaps.
>> >
>> > Best wishes
>> >
>> > IT Girl MCDST

>> My crystal ball is wore out. I blame MotoChick.
>>
>> I have to agree with my esteemed colleague here. We cannot tell you if
>> you are ready to take the exam. Your experience in the technology, your
>> confidence in your abilities, and your ability under pressure to display
>> that knowledge during exam time determine your pass or fail status. Good
>> luck.
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood,
>> MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
>> The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
>> CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

Mauricio

I recently passed 271.
I used a software named Transcender for testing and questions.
I found the transcender questions too much harder than the CDkit questions.
But that worked for me.
I believe that the CDkit doesn't offer a enough good challenge.

That are my thoughts.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Montreal MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I was going to get him some tea leaves... nobody else better beat me to it!
>
> (and I even get to drink the tea!)
>
> --
> Mitch Garvis, MCT
> MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
> Visit my blog at http://blog.mitchgarvis.com
> "Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I didn't "wear out" your crystal ball - I simply shattered it !!! Anyway,
> > thought you said you traded it in for an eight ball....anybody got an idea
> > as
> > to what to get Michael for Christmas?! Oh, I can see the boxes arriving
> > now... :^)
> > --
> > Motochick

I actually tea... Send away! BTW, Thank You for the gift card Jo. It
arrived today!

--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

RemoteShark

Certification is about experience. Anyone can read a book and answer
questions from it. Thats not what Microsoft is asking for. The practise
questions are just a guide. What you need to do is make sure you have the
knowledge and experience on the techology you are learning and the more you
dig into it, the better chance you have on passing. If you dont have the
experience, then you shouldnt be entitled to the certification. Like driving
a car. I can tell you about my experiences of driving a car but unless you
have sat and drove in the car yourself, you will never ever ever understand
it and never pass your driving test. Maybe taking the test and failing it is
a good way to find out. At the end of the day you should always be prepared
to fail in order to learn. Taking the fear out of the situation. Failing isnt
failing... like the rest of the world thinks it is. The only attitude you
should have is getting the cert by any means legally. if you are a
braindumper then you belong to the residential trash collectors.

RemoteShark MCP

"p7t14" wrote:

> I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and have
> just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for a
> few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few weeks
> to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the month,
> do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise tests?
> Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything else
> before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much appreciated!!!
>
> Cheers

Jo

Well written Shark !!!!
--
Motochick

"RemoteShark" wrote:

> [...]

> > failing... like the rest of the world thinks it is. The only attitude you
> > should have is getting the cert by any means legally. if you are a
> > braindumper then you belong to the residential trash collectors.
> >
> > RemoteShark MCP
> >
> > "p7t14" wrote:
> >
> > > I've bought the self paced book from Microsoft for the test 70-271 and have
> > > just read through it. The CD with it is great. I've been practising for a
> > > few weeks using the practise questions from this CD. It took me a few weeks
> > > to start passing these tests. If I book the test for the end of the month,
> > > do you think I will pass. Is the test very similar to these practise tests?
> > > Is the pass mark for the test also 80%. Do I need to research anything else
> > > before the test or only the book and CD? Any help/advice much appreciated!!!

It was a copy and paste of one of my old posts. $5 for that one Shark

--
Michael D. Alligood,
MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST