Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Age Requirements?

Age Requirements?

Nick9210

Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
ready to take this exam.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Nick9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
> wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
> 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
> ready to take this exam.

Nick while I truly admire your enthusiasm, I am not sure how this
certification will help you in this juncture of your life. However, I
would love to hear your point of view.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST

Nick9210

Well, to be honest, it is not needed at this point in time. When I leave high
school I plan on working in the IT Industry. Ive had a lot of practice and
work with computers for many years already. I'm working at my school this
summer with the Admin handling all of the work that needs to be done
(upgrades, re-formats, hardware upgrades, networking, etc). I could always
wait and get it at a point where it would best fit the situation I am in,
because as of right now, there is no situation that having the MCDST
Certification would help. Basically, I want to do it now because, well, I
just want to. I feel that when I get a little older (around 16-1 I will be
able to use this to help me get a job working at a computer store (or other
related type of work) easier. Although getting it now probably is the wrong
idea, I want to get the certification sometime in the next few years, I know
I can pass the test, as I've looked at many practice exams, etc. I think that
when you run your side business repairing computers, you must know quite a
bit!

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" wrote:

> "Nick9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
> > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
> > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
> > ready to take this exam.

> Nick while I truly admire your enthusiasm, I am not sure how this
> certification will help you in this juncture of your life. However, I
> would love to hear your point of view.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

TheITGirl

"Nick9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, to be honest, it is not needed at this point in time. When I leave
> high
> school I plan on working in the IT Industry. Ive had a lot of practice and
> work with computers for many years already. I'm working at my school this
> summer with the Admin handling all of the work that needs to be done
> (upgrades, re-formats, hardware upgrades, networking, etc). I could always
> wait and get it at a point where it would best fit the situation I am in,
> because as of right now, there is no situation that having the MCDST
> Certification would help. Basically, I want to do it now because, well, I
> just want to. I feel that when I get a little older (around 16-1 I will
> be
> able to use this to help me get a job working at a computer store (or
> other
> related type of work) easier. Although getting it now probably is the
> wrong
> idea, I want to get the certification sometime in the next few years, I
> know
> I can pass the test, as I've looked at many practice exams, etc. I think
> that
> when you run your side business repairing computers, you must know quite a
> bit!

Nick, your positive attitude and maturity have impressed me greatly, and
it's not often that I'm so impressed by one as young as you!

You don't mention in your plans going to college or university and obtaining
an IT degree - I do hope you haven't dismissed this option, as a degree
really does open doors for you (at least it does in the UK, where I'm from).
You can still continue running your side business and/or working part-time
in the IT industry while you study.

Whatever you decide to do, your experience will give you an advantage when
it comes to applying for entry level positions. Your English grammar and
spelling are very good too - always guaranteed to impress potential
employers!

Best of luck.

The IT Girl MCDST

John R

"Nick9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, to be honest, it is not needed at this point in time. When I leave
> high
> school I plan on working in the IT Industry. Ive had a lot of practice and
> work with computers for many years already. I'm working at my school this
> summer with the Admin handling all of the work that needs to be done
> (upgrades, re-formats, hardware upgrades, networking, etc). I could always
> wait and get it at a point where it would best fit the situation I am in,
> because as of right now, there is no situation that having the MCDST
> Certification would help. Basically, I want to do it now because, well, I
> just want to. I feel that when I get a little older (around 16-1 I will
> be
> able to use this to help me get a job working at a computer store (or
> other
> related type of work) easier. Although getting it now probably is the
> wrong
> idea, I want to get the certification sometime in the next few years, I
> know
> I can pass the test, as I've looked at many practice exams, etc. I think
> that
> when you run your side business repairing computers, you must know quite a
> bit!

Showing initiative and enthusiasm at your age will never be the 'wrong
idea'. Even though by the time you become more 'employable' XP will likely
be on the way out, the fact that you demonstrated the drive and maturity to
accomplish it is something that will always shine on your resume. I would
not hesitate to encourage you to pursue it.

John R

djpimpdaddy

On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
> wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
> 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
> ready to take this exam.

Rock on man!

That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
100%".

Doogie Houser, IT

Nick9210

"djpimpdaddy" wrote:

> On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
> > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
> > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
> > ready to take this exam.

> Rock on man!
>
> That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
> even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
> that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
> local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
> CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
> look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
> was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
> 100%".
>
> Doogie Houser, IT

I seem to have totally forgotten to mention about my college plans.
Originally, I wanted to become a cardiologist, but as I got older the idea
faded away so-to-speak. I have come to realize in the past year or two that
working in the computer industry is just what I am supposed to do. I enjoy
it, I'm good at it, and it is just a great industry to work in. Upon leaving
highschool, I do not plan on getting right into a job. That idea would be
foolish and while it may work for a short while, in the long run it will not.
I plan on going to college, getting my CIS Degree, and then going out onto a
real job. My desire for a MCDST Certification so early in the my life is for,
like I said, when I'm 16 years old and want to go get a job at a computer
store. It is very unlikely for such a place to hire as young of a person as
me, but I believe the certification may just be the ticket to get me in this
working position.

I thank all of you here for your great replies and they have helped me think
a lot about certain things like degrees and whatnot.

Nick Silvia

djpimpdaddy

On Jul 11, 11:18 am, Nick9210 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> "djpimpdaddy" wrote:
> > On Jul 10, 9:38 pm, Nick9210 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> > > Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
> > > wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am only
> > > 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
> > > ready to take this exam.

> > Rock on man!

> > That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
> > even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
> > that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
> > local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
> > CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
> > look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
> > was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
> > 100%".

> > Doogie Houser, IT

> I seem to have totally forgotten to mention about my college plans.
> Originally, I wanted to become a cardiologist, but as I got older the idea
> faded away so-to-speak. I have come to realize in the past year or two that
> working in the computer industry is just what I am supposed to do. I enjoy
> it, I'm good at it, and it is just a great industry to work in. Upon leaving
> highschool, I do not plan on getting right into a job. That idea would be
> foolish and while it may work for a short while, in the long run it will not.
> I plan on going to college, getting my CIS Degree, and then going out onto a
> real job. My desire for a MCDST Certification so early in the my life is for,
> like I said, when I'm 16 years old and want to go get a job at a computer
> store. It is very unlikely for such a place to hire as young of a person as
> me, but I believe the certification may just be the ticket to get me in this
> working position.
>
> I thank all of you here for your great replies and they have helped me think
> a lot about certain things like degrees and whatnot.
>
> Nick Silvia- Hide quoted text -

Well just be sure to choose your path well ahead of time. Take some
time and explore http://www.microsoft.com/learning . If you are that
good with computers perhaps you may want to go in a different
certification direction. I do think that the MCDST would definitely
land you a job at age 16 if you can interview well. Perhaps a guidance
councelor at school can assist with that aspect. I can say that
without any access to other operating systems like Server 2003 you
would be hard pressed to do an MCSE track. Unless you downloaded
Virtual PC and got a friend to pass you a "funny" copy of Sever
2003....for educational purposes only! Does anyone know if the MCSE
books give out demo software for server anymore?

Nick9210

"djpimpdaddy" wrote:

> On Jul 11, 11:18 am, Nick9210 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> > "djpimpdaddy" wrote:

> > > Rock on man!

> > > That would be awesome to have your first job in a small shop, hell
> > > even for a larger one too, troubleshooting pcs. I could never imagine
> > > that. Most people's first jobs are working deep fry machines at the
> > > local hamburger joint. Even if you planned on going to college for a
> > > CIS degree, the experience and certs can only help you out. It would
> > > look great on a resume. Honestly, I would hire you over me anyday if I
> > > was in that position. If they let you take the exams, I say "Do it!
> > > 100%".

> > > Doogie Houser, IT

> > I seem to have totally forgotten to mention about my college plans.
> > Originally, I wanted to become a cardiologist, but as I got older the idea
> > faded away so-to-speak. I have come to realize in the past year or two that
> > working in the computer industry is just what I am supposed to do. I enjoy
> > it, I'm good at it, and it is just a great industry to work in. Upon leaving
> > highschool, I do not plan on getting right into a job. That idea would be
> > foolish and while it may work for a short while, in the long run it will not.
> > I plan on going to college, getting my CIS Degree, and then going out onto a
> > real job. My desire for a MCDST Certification so early in the my life is for,
> > like I said, when I'm 16 years old and want to go get a job at a computer
> > store. It is very unlikely for such a place to hire as young of a person as
> > me, but I believe the certification may just be the ticket to get me in this
> > working position.
> >
> > I thank all of you here for your great replies and they have helped me think
> > a lot about certain things like degrees and whatnot.
> >
> > Nick Silvia- Hide quoted text -

> Well just be sure to choose your path well ahead of time. Take some
> time and explore http://www.microsoft.com/learning . If you are that
> good with computers perhaps you may want to go in a different
> certification direction. I do think that the MCDST would definitely
> land you a job at age 16 if you can interview well. Perhaps a guidance
> councelor at school can assist with that aspect. I can say that
> without any access to other operating systems like Server 2003 you
> would be hard pressed to do an MCSE track. Unless you downloaded
> Virtual PC and got a friend to pass you a "funny" copy of Sever
> 2003....for educational purposes only! Does anyone know if the MCSE
> books give out demo software for server anymore?

Well it's funny you mention that because I use Server 2003 everyday. I work
at my school during the summer fixing computers, installing different things,
etc. So I access servers all day and run commands from them. I also do things
like add users to active directory and all those other things that would be
present in a school system. And I'm definitely good with computers which is
why I want to go for these certifications. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I also
have an old computer at home that I put Server 2000 on to mess around. I've
used it as a file server, web server, and game server.

Nick,

I can see your enthusiasm about this cert, and it's great to see that you
know what you want to do as well as the means to get it. I noticed that in
each of the replies, that not a single person mentioned getting your A+
cert. In my experience, we've hired more people that have had their A+ over
those with the DST cert. Essentially, the DST says you know Windows XP.
However, the A+ cert says you know printers and other peripherals, hard
drives, etc. as well as various operating systems, and also at least the
basics in troubleshooting both hardware and software. In my experience, the
A+ has been much more valuable than the DST. The DST is a great addition,
but I would recommend that before you spend the money on the DST, go for the
A+, then go for your DST.

You also mentioned your experience with Server 2k and 2k3 - the A+, combined
with the Network+ and the DST are a great jump towards the MCSA/MCSE tracks,
and while they are somewhat outdated, I seriously doubt that every company
with a server will migrate to 2k8 server right away. Believe it or not,
there are still quite a few still using NT4 server and 2k server, so those
skills are still in demand. I'm currently working towards my MSCA 2003 as
that is what we are using here, and will continue to use for quite some
time.

So, to sum it up, it might be worth your while to check into the A+ cert
first, get that taken care of, then go for the DST. As I said previously,
the A+ will help you land the job at the shop more than the DST will.

good luck to you on whatever you choose.

Doug

"Nick9210" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I am planning on taking the MCDST Certification Exam, but I was
> wondering if there are any age requirements. This is just because I am
> only
> 14 years old, but my knowledge with computers is very extensive and I am
> ready to take this exam.

Wireless network and Age of Empires Expansion multiplayer =?Utf-8?B?Qm9iIFcu?= Wireless Networking 1 04-05-2005 07:31 PM
oid for arp age pkwijibo Cisco 0 03-24-2005 09:46 PM
File test Operator for Directory Age RickB Perl 0 02-06-2004 07:34 PM
Can cout do like printf("Name: %s, Age: %d\n",name,age)? cylin C++ 6 08-19-2003 09:03 PM

Advertisments