Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: Application of Group Policy to Virtual Machines

Re: Application of Group Policy to Virtual Machines

djpimpdaddy

On Jul 9, 11:12 am, Irish_IT_hopeful
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you have any experience of Windows Virtual Server
> 2005 R2?
>
> I have built a virtual pc - Windows Xp SP2, and have installed all the
> available patches through both WSUS and Windows update. The only software
> installed on top of this is AV software.
>
> I have connected this virtual pc to a live active directory domain.
>
> My question is this;
> How does group policy apply to virtual pcs? I have written a GPO to lock out
> access to control panel yet even with a reboot, the virtual pc doesn't seem
> to apply properly. The policy is being applied to the appropriate OU,
> computer and usr account. help!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> R.

Are you logging in as the administrator on the VPC? When I first
deployed GPOs in our network here I kept getting fustrated since they
never seemed to take. I later realized that if you are logged in as
the admin some of the setting don't take. The Admin will always have
access to the control panel.

Log in twice, once as a user added locally to the user group and then
again as a user added to the local power user groups and see the
differences. You can further test as local admin group too and you can
see that by granting local admin status to basic network users negates
all the point of making GPOs in the first place. It is a hard lesson
to learn. In our domain, I try to grant Power User local group
membership to network users as the highest possible membership just so
all our cool little scripts and GPOs work properly.

Also from what I have tested, there should be no difference in how GPO
work in VPC or VServer.