Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Study Time for MCDST

Study Time for MCDST

Razov09

Hello,

I am currently studying for the 70-271 using the Msoft Training Kit and
would like to know on average how much time I should allocate to my studies
before sitting for the exam? I have certs in other non-tech areas but this
is my first Msoft exam and I want to make sure I give myself enough time.

I plan to read the entire text and then use the Readiness Review CD to prep
for the exam.

I am a Level 2 Tech Support Rep for a Tax Software Vendor and our apps run
on XP and I've been doing this for just over a year now. Our apps will be
supported on Vista come next year so long-term I want to get Vista certified
using the upgrade path after getting the MCDST.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Maincat

"Razov09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am currently studying for the 70-271 using the Msoft Training Kit and
> would like to know on average how much time I should allocate to my
> studies
> before sitting for the exam? I have certs in other non-tech areas but
> this
> is my first Msoft exam and I want to make sure I give myself enough time.
>
> I plan to read the entire text and then use the Readiness Review CD to
> prep
> for the exam.
>
> I am a Level 2 Tech Support Rep for a Tax Software Vendor and our apps run
> on XP and I've been doing this for just over a year now. Our apps will be
> supported on Vista come next year so long-term I want to get Vista
> certified
> using the upgrade path after getting the MCDST.
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.

How long is a piece of string?
I took about three weeks to do my 70-271, using the resources that you
outlined. I already had 70-270 and experience in my home network to help
me. Some may take a shorter time, some much longer. The only person who
can judge this is you.

Given your experience, you may find the early chapters of the MS book not
particularly useful.

In my view, the 70-271 Readiness Review CD is not the best MS ever produced,
but I kept getting over 90% in my review tests so I went for the exam.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE BRAIN DUMPS!!

pete h

hi.
I have no formal qualifications at all, I have been studying for 4 months
and am now waiting for my test date.
"Maincat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23TV%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Razov09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently studying for the 70-271 using the Msoft Training Kit and
>> would like to know on average how much time I should allocate to my
>> studies
>> before sitting for the exam? I have certs in other non-tech areas but
>> this
>> is my first Msoft exam and I want to make sure I give myself enough time.
>>
>> I plan to read the entire text and then use the Readiness Review CD to
>> prep
>> for the exam.
>>
>> I am a Level 2 Tech Support Rep for a Tax Software Vendor and our apps
>> run
>> on XP and I've been doing this for just over a year now. Our apps will
>> be
>> supported on Vista come next year so long-term I want to get Vista
>> certified
>> using the upgrade path after getting the MCDST.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your reply.

> How long is a piece of string?
> I took about three weeks to do my 70-271, using the resources that you
> outlined. I already had 70-270 and experience in my home network to help
> me. Some may take a shorter time, some much longer. The only person who
> can judge this is you.
>
> Given your experience, you may find the early chapters of the MS book not
> particularly useful.
>
> In my view, the 70-271 Readiness Review CD is not the best MS ever
> produced, but I kept getting over 90% in my review tests so I went for the
> exam.
>
> Whatever you do, DO NOT USE BRAIN DUMPS!!

Akki3

Hi There,

I think you cannot compare other students with yourself. F.e. a friend of
mine passed the test after 3 times, and then it was almost 1 year later, but
I passed the test the first time and I've studied for about 15 minutes :$ ..

I think the best thing you can do first is to read through the whole book
once, and mark the cases you aren't skilled in yet.

Good luck ..!

Akkie

hi.
I have no formal qualifications at all, I have been studying for 4 months
and am now waiting for my test date.
"Maincat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23TV%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Razov09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently studying for the 70-271 using the Msoft Training Kit and
>> would like to know on average how much time I should allocate to my
>> studies
>> before sitting for the exam? I have certs in other non-tech areas but
>> this
>> is my first Msoft exam and I want to make sure I give myself enough time.
>>
>> I plan to read the entire text and then use the Readiness Review CD to
>> prep
>> for the exam.
>>
>> I am a Level 2 Tech Support Rep for a Tax Software Vendor and our apps
>> run
>> on XP and I've been doing this for just over a year now. Our apps will
>> be
>> supported on Vista come next year so long-term I want to get Vista
>> certified
>> using the upgrade path after getting the MCDST.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your reply.

> How long is a piece of string?
> I took about three weeks to do my 70-271, using the resources that you
> outlined. I already had 70-270 and experience in my home network to help
> me. Some may take a shorter time, some much longer. The only person who
> can judge this is you.
>
> Given your experience, you may find the early chapters of the MS book not
> particularly useful.
>
> In my view, the 70-271 Readiness Review CD is not the best MS ever
> produced, but I kept getting over 90% in my review tests so I went for the
> exam.
>
> Whatever you do, DO NOT USE BRAIN DUMPS!!

TJ

I took 5 months, while working full time to write and pass both the 70-271 and 70-272....I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm glad I took my time and wrote the exams when I felt ready.......

--

TJ, MCDST
"Akki3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi There,

I think you cannot compare other students with yourself. F.e. a friend of
mine passed the test after 3 times, and then it was almost 1 year later, but
I passed the test the first time and I've studied for about 15 minutes :$ ..

I think the best thing you can do first is to read through the whole book
once, and mark the cases you aren't skilled in yet.

Good luck ..!

Akkie

hi.
I have no formal qualifications at all, I have been studying for 4 months
and am now waiting for my test date.
"Maincat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23TV%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Razov09" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently studying for the 70-271 using the Msoft Training Kit and
>> would like to know on average how much time I should allocate to my
>> studies
>> before sitting for the exam? I have certs in other non-tech areas but
>> this
>> is my first Msoft exam and I want to make sure I give myself enough time.
>>
>> I plan to read the entire text and then use the Readiness Review CD to
>> prep
>> for the exam.
>>
>> I am a Level 2 Tech Support Rep for a Tax Software Vendor and our apps
>> run
>> on XP and I've been doing this for just over a year now. Our apps will
>> be
>> supported on Vista come next year so long-term I want to get Vista
>> certified
>> using the upgrade path after getting the MCDST.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your reply.

> How long is a piece of string?
> I took about three weeks to do my 70-271, using the resources that you
> outlined. I already had 70-270 and experience in my home network to help
> me. Some may take a shorter time, some much longer. The only person who
> can judge this is you.
>
> Given your experience, you may find the early chapters of the MS book not
> particularly useful.
>
> In my view, the 70-271 Readiness Review CD is not the best MS ever
> produced, but I kept getting over 90% in my review tests so I went for the
> exam.
>
> Whatever you do, DO NOT USE BRAIN DUMPS!!

Ronald

Hi,

I would suggest studying for at least an hour per day. Or perhaps you are a
quick learner and require a little less time. My point is that you will have
to set aside some quality time for studying and absorb as much knowledge as
you can so you can do well on your exam..you know?

Best Regards