Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Suggestions on how to get started on studying for the MCDST

Reply
Thread Tools

Suggestions on how to get started on studying for the MCDST

 
 
Dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2007
Im looking to get some certifications under the belt, and wanted to know
whats the best place to start studying for it. I have a two year degree in
computer networking, recently got my A+ certification. And looking to get my
Network+ and possibly the MCDST cert. I dont have too much work experience, I
just started working as a technical support agent for a software management
company about 6 months ago. Im thinking of just buying both MCDST Self-Paced
Training Books, read and study that for awhile then take some practice exams.
Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just even
A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2007
"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Im looking to get some certifications under the belt, and wanted to know
> whats the best place to start studying for it. I have a two year degree
> in
> computer networking, recently got my A+ certification. And looking to
> get my
> Network+ and possibly the MCDST cert. I dont have too much work
> experience, I
> just started working as a technical support agent for a software
> management
> company about 6 months ago. Im thinking of just buying both MCDST
> Self-Paced
> Training Books, read and study that for awhile then take some practice
> exams.
> Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
> certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just
> even
> A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.


Do not concentrate on achieving the certifications. Concentrate on
learning the technology. Experience leads to certifications.

Hopefully the employers you are seeing that list a recommended or
required an MCSE will utilize the person who holds one instead of having
them remove spyware from computers and troubleshoot in the desktop
environment.

To answer your question, yes the MCDST is a well known certification and
earning this certification also lists you as an MCP as well.

I recommend you visiting http://certguard.com/articles.asp and reading
some of our articles. I believe you will find them educational. Good
luck.

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
The I.T. Classroom - http://www.theitclassroom.com/
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-01-2007
Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard] piffled away vaguely:

> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Im looking to get some certifications under the belt, and wanted to know
>> whats the best place to start studying for it. I have a two year degree
>> in
>> computer networking, recently got my A+ certification. And looking to
>> get my
>> Network+ and possibly the MCDST cert. I dont have too much work
>> experience, I
>> just started working as a technical support agent for a software
>> management
>> company about 6 months ago. Im thinking of just buying both MCDST
>> Self-Paced
>> Training Books, read and study that for awhile then take some practice
>> exams.
>> Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
>> certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just
>> even
>> A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

>
> Do not concentrate on achieving the certifications. Concentrate on
> learning the technology. Experience leads to certifications.
>
> Hopefully the employers you are seeing that list a recommended or
> required an MCSE will utilize the person who holds one instead of having
> them remove spyware from computers and troubleshoot in the desktop
> environment.
>
> To answer your question, yes the MCDST is a well known certification and
> earning this certification also lists you as an MCP as well.
>
> I recommend you visiting http://certguard.com/articles.asp and reading
> some of our articles. I believe you will find them educational. Good
> luck.
>

You might want to pick up an extra machine (the beginnings of a lab)
that you can mess with to study concepts and try things out on.
Don't use one you are already using for regular stuff (bills,
browsing, etc.) and definitely don't use the ones in the production
environment at work to experiment on. This machine will be the first
of many as you continue with your career.

www.microsoft.com/learning has a list of current certifications,
including audience (who should pursue them) and requirements.

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2007
Thanks for the advice. In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
experience that I would like. I do plan on studying hard and not just picking
up an exam cram book and pray I pass the test. I plan on using the two self
paced training books to help me learn. I just recently build a budget
computer that I can "test" or mess with like catwalker suggested. So I think
I should be good to go. I think this method is best since Im not in a current
position where I do desktop experience. I just basically troubleshoot company
designed software for users.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Hensley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2007
"Dan" wrote:
> In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
> experience that I would like.


No one said it had to be PAID experience. I'm sure there are many charitible
organizations (at least one of which is involved in some cause you can agree
with) that would love to have volunteer support. Best is if you can find one
with an experienced support person who needs some apprentice-level help.

Or, try helping people via newsgroups or other online forums. Don't tell
them to do something that you aren't sure about, but most problems can be
solved via a little research -- which most people seem to not be very good
at. Develop your "Google" skills. Tell pople "I'm not sure, but maybe this
will help...".

Good luck, and have fun!

 
Reply With Quote
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2007
Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

> "Dan" wrote:
>> In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
>> experience that I would like.

>
>
> Or, try helping people via newsgroups or other online forums. Don't tell
> them to do something that you aren't sure about, but most problems can be
> solved via a little research -- which most people seem to not be very good
> at. Develop your "Google" skills. Tell pople "I'm not sure, but maybe this
> will help...".
>
> Good luck, and have fun!


Oh gawd! Now the siren's busted. Awooga, awooga! Abandon ship!
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Hensley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2007
"Dan" wrote:
> In my currenty position, Im not able to gain the
> experience that I would like.


To which I "piffled away vaguely":
>> Or, try helping people via newsgroups or other online forums. Don't tell
>> them to do something that you aren't sure about, but most problems can be
>> solved via a little research -- which most people seem to not be very
>> good
>> at. Develop your "Google" skills. Tell people "I'm not sure, but maybe
>> this
>> will help...".


And Catwalker then supplied the comedy gold:
> Oh gawd! Now the siren's busted. Awooga, awooga! Abandon ship!


This is why I hang out here; it's like the (very) old days on AFU. I've been
laughing at that response (out loud) long enough that my my family has
stopped
giving me strange looks and is now creeping up behind me with a butterfly
net.

(You owe me a new laptop.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2007
Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

>
> (You owe me a new laptop.)


You can have Midge. She's heavy and she glares even when she's
purring. If she bites you it means she likes you. You may have
difficulty keeping her on your lap but as long as she's not hissing,
it's safe to keep holding her. Don't get your face too close.
Really.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chance Webster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007
> You might want to pick up an extra machine (the beginnings of a lab)
> that you can mess with to study concepts and try things out on.


Yep!!! Ebay is a great place to go to pick up a decent machine cheap. At
the risk of a cheap plug, I usually buy my lab machines from epcusa.com.
They sell all thier off lease stuff for around 100 - 200 bucks and it's in
decent enough shape for a test machine. Most of the time you even get a HDD
with the machine. Check them out some time!

--
Chance Webster
A+, Network+, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS


"catwalker63" wrote:

> Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard] piffled away vaguely:
>
> > "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Im looking to get some certifications under the belt, and wanted to know
> >> whats the best place to start studying for it. I have a two year degree
> >> in
> >> computer networking, recently got my A+ certification. And looking to
> >> get my
> >> Network+ and possibly the MCDST cert. I dont have too much work
> >> experience, I
> >> just started working as a technical support agent for a software
> >> management
> >> company about 6 months ago. Im thinking of just buying both MCDST
> >> Self-Paced
> >> Training Books, read and study that for awhile then take some practice
> >> exams.
> >> Anything else I might want to add? Also, is the MCDST a well known
> >> certification? These days I see employers looking for MCSE, MCP, or just
> >> even
> >> A+. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

> >
> > Do not concentrate on achieving the certifications. Concentrate on
> > learning the technology. Experience leads to certifications.
> >
> > Hopefully the employers you are seeing that list a recommended or
> > required an MCSE will utilize the person who holds one instead of having
> > them remove spyware from computers and troubleshoot in the desktop
> > environment.
> >
> > To answer your question, yes the MCDST is a well known certification and
> > earning this certification also lists you as an MCP as well.
> >
> > I recommend you visiting http://certguard.com/articles.asp and reading
> > some of our articles. I believe you will find them educational. Good
> > luck.
> >

> You might want to pick up an extra machine (the beginnings of a lab)
> that you can mess with to study concepts and try things out on.
> Don't use one you are already using for regular stuff (bills,
> browsing, etc.) and definitely don't use the ones in the production
> environment at work to experiment on. This machine will be the first
> of many as you continue with your career.
>
> www.microsoft.com/learning has a list of current certifications,
> including audience (who should pursue them) and requirements.
>
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Studying for the MCDST Jamie Wenner MCDST 6 03-28-2007 06:13 AM
Started Studying - any tips Karl Lankford MCDST 1 11-27-2006 10:29 PM
Studying for MCDST kwallity MCDST 3 08-29-2006 07:19 PM
Studying for MCDST exam oscar MCDST 2 03-18-2006 09:43 PM



Advertisments