Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WiFi card disconnects on logout (XP SP2)

WiFi card disconnects on logout (XP SP2)

Rick Jones

I have a strange problem withe one machine, in that when I logout of
Windows, the wireless link disconnects.

I have 3 machines running XP SP2, with the same 802.11g PCI cards, same
drivers and configurations etc. Only one of the machines behaves like this,
but I can't work out what is different. The cards are TI-based (Safecom
brand), using the TNET1130 driver, and Windows config enabled. 40-bit WEP is
turned on.

Monitoring the DHCP server, it actually seems to continually try to refresh
its lease when logged out, but when logged in it's fine, and the signal
strength reports as "good". The event log confirms DHCP renew attempts, but
they repeatedly fail until someone logs in.

It can be logged in as any user and works OK, just goes daft when there is
no-one logged in.

Apart from network shares not being available if logged out, the machines
are on a domain and using roaming profiles, so this behaviour means that
this one machine will either fail to authenticate, or fail to get the
profile if it does. If I switch to a wired link it works fine. The other
machines maintain their connections, and login fine over wireless.

Any ideas?

--
Rick Jones
www.activeservice.co.uk

NewPort

Try using the windows utility, not the one from the card

--

"Rick Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4292f620$0$302$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>I have a strange problem withe one machine, in that when I logout of
> Windows, the wireless link disconnects.
>
> I have 3 machines running XP SP2, with the same 802.11g PCI cards, same
> drivers and configurations etc. Only one of the machines behaves like
> this,
> but I can't work out what is different. The cards are TI-based (Safecom
> brand), using the TNET1130 driver, and Windows config enabled. 40-bit WEP
> is
> turned on.
>
> Monitoring the DHCP server, it actually seems to continually try to
> refresh
> its lease when logged out, but when logged in it's fine, and the signal
> strength reports as "good". The event log confirms DHCP renew attempts,
> but
> they repeatedly fail until someone logs in.
>
> It can be logged in as any user and works OK, just goes daft when there is
> no-one logged in.
>
> Apart from network shares not being available if logged out, the machines
> are on a domain and using roaming profiles, so this behaviour means that
> this one machine will either fail to authenticate, or fail to get the
> profile if it does. If I switch to a wired link it works fine. The other
> machines maintain their connections, and login fine over wireless.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> Rick Jones
> www.activeservice.co.uk

Rick Jones

Thanks, but I'm doing just that. Windows wireless config is enabled, and
managing the card (same on all machines). The card's utility is not even
installed, just the plain drivers.

--
Rick Jones
www.activeservice.co.uk

"NewPort" <@esPato.com> wrote in message
news:4292f835$0$11677$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try using the windows utility, not the one from the card
>
> --
>
> "Rick Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4292f620$0$302$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> >I have a strange problem withe one machine, in that when I logout of
> > Windows, the wireless link disconnects.
> >
> > I have 3 machines running XP SP2, with the same 802.11g PCI cards, same
> > drivers and configurations etc. Only one of the machines behaves like
> > this,
> > but I can't work out what is different. The cards are TI-based (Safecom
> > brand), using the TNET1130 driver, and Windows config enabled. 40-bit

WEP
> > is
> > turned on.
> >
> > Monitoring the DHCP server, it actually seems to continually try to
> > refresh
> > its lease when logged out, but when logged in it's fine, and the signal
> > strength reports as "good". The event log confirms DHCP renew attempts,
> > but
> > they repeatedly fail until someone logs in.
> >
> > It can be logged in as any user and works OK, just goes daft when there

is
> > no-one logged in.
> >
> > Apart from network shares not being available if logged out, the

machines
> > are on a domain and using roaming profiles, so this behaviour means that
> > this one machine will either fail to authenticate, or fail to get the
> > profile if it does. If I switch to a wired link it works fine. The other
> > machines maintain their connections, and login fine over wireless.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > --
> > Rick Jones
> > www.activeservice.co.uk

atec

Rick Jones wrote:
> Thanks, but I'm doing just that. Windows wireless config is enabled, and
> managing the card (same on all machines). The card's utility is not even
> installed, just the plain drivers.

check that the power down is not activated /energy saving .