Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Career Advice

Career Advice

Leon Myerson

Hello everyone,

I'm in a somewhat unusual position career-wise and I'm hoping for some
advice. I'm going to take both MCDST exams next week, and I do expect to
pass. I'm a pretty experienced test taker.

The reason for that is that I was once an MCSE NT4. Back when the great
Internet bust occurred in 2001, I was laid off and got fed up with trying to
find another IT job in the NYC metro area. (One job faire at the time
literally had a line stretching around the block just to get in the door!)
So I left IT to try other things.

In the intervening years I've done a little website design, financial
services work, taught high school, and worked as a legal proofreader. Now
I've decided that I actually miss IT, and I want back in.

Any advice on getting a job? Will my former experience count for anything,
or should I expect to start from the bottom all over again? That's my
biggest concern. I will if I have to, but, urgh!

I left right around when Server 2000 came out, and have some familiarity
with it. I plan to be back up to MCSE within a year. I almost went back to
IT 3 years ago, and got A+ certified. I'm planning to take the new A+ exams
next just as a review.

I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks -Leon

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]

"Leon Myerson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> Any advice on getting a job? Will my former experience count for
> anything,
> or should I expect to start from the bottom all over again? That's my
> biggest concern. I will if I have to, but, urgh!
>
> I left right around when Server 2000 came out, and have some familiarity
> with it. I plan to be back up to MCSE within a year. I almost went
> back to
> IT 3 years ago, and got A+ certified. I'm planning to take the new A+
> exams
> next just as a review.
>
> I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks -Leon

Leon, my advice to you is start at the beginning. Windows 2000, 2003,
and especially 2008 are totally different beasts than that of NT4. I
would not concentrate on the MCSE certification right now. I would
advise you to get experience with the technology above anything else.
You have not the recommended experience to have your MCSE certification
be of any value to you. An ideal candidate for the MCSE certification
should have:

At least one year of experience implementing and administering a network
operating system in environments with the following characteristics:

.. 200 to 26,000 supported users

.. Five to 150 physical locations

.. Typical network services and applications including file and print,
database, messaging, proxy server or firewall, dial-in server, desktop
management, and Web hosting

.. Connectivity needs including connecting individual offices and users
at remote locations to the corporate network and connecting corporate
networks to the Internet

In addition, an MCSE candidate should have at least one year of
experience in the following areas:

.. Implementing and administering a desktop operating system

.. Designing a network infrastructure

Currently you do not have this. Tell us what exactly what duties in the
I.T. field do you want to pursue?

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Leon Myerson

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%23cIXG$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Leon Myerson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Any advice on getting a job? Will my former experience count for
>> anything,
>> or should I expect to start from the bottom all over again? That's my
>> biggest concern. I will if I have to, but, urgh!
>>
>> I left right around when Server 2000 came out, and have some familiarity
>> with it. I plan to be back up to MCSE within a year. I almost went
>> back to
>> IT 3 years ago, and got A+ certified. I'm planning to take the new A+
>> exams
>> next just as a review.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate any comments or suggestions.
>>
>> Thanks -Leon

> Leon, my advice to you is start at the beginning. Windows 2000, 2003, and
> especially 2008 are totally different beasts than that of NT4. I would not
> concentrate on the MCSE certification right now. I would advise you to get
> experience with the technology above anything else. You have not the
> recommended experience to have your MCSE certification be of any value to
> you. An ideal candidate for the MCSE certification should have:
>
> At least one year of experience implementing and administering a network
> operating system in environments with the following characteristics:
>
> . 200 to 26,000 supported users
>
> . Five to 150 physical locations
>
> . Typical network services and applications including file and print,
> database, messaging, proxy server or firewall, dial-in server, desktop
> management, and Web hosting
>
> . Connectivity needs including connecting individual offices and users at
> remote locations to the corporate network and connecting corporate
> networks to the Internet
>

> In addition, an MCSE candidate should have at least one year of experience
> in the following areas:
>
> . Implementing and administering a desktop operating system
>
> . Designing a network infrastructure
>
> Currently you do not have this. Tell us what exactly what duties in the
> I.T. field do you want to pursue?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Leon Myerson

Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I think something glitched when I tried to respond,
there's a blank message from me on the newsgroup, not even under your
message.

Anyway, my last IT job did encompass pretty much everything you listed, but
of course, that was 6 years ago. And I certainly agree about "paper"
MCSE's. I was hoping that a year from now, I wouldn't be, though it will
depend on getting to work with the actual environment.

Right now I'd like a medium-sized central office, 200 to 300 users, in a
company with other branch offices, where I can combine the MCDST and A+
roles, and work closely with whoever is running the network. What I really
don't want is to be tied down to a phone in a call center all day. I like
to interact with the users, and I'm very good at calming them down and
explaining what's happening.

I've done some formal classroom instruction in various computer topics over
the years, as well as help document systems and procedures I worked on. I
think I'd be very useful during any type of rollout project. That should be
very relevant as companies start moving to Vista and Office 2007. (which I
doubt will happen until at least the first service pack. <smile>)

What scares me is comments in this newsgroup about new MCDSTs getting $10/12
hr. at CompUSA. I think I'm worth more than that, or am I? Any ideas as to
what sort of employer might agree?

Leon

"Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:%23cIXG$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Leon, my advice to you is start at the beginning. Windows 2000, 2003, and
> especially 2008 are totally different beasts than that of NT4. I would not
> concentrate on the MCSE certification right now. I would advise you to get
> experience with the technology above anything else. You have not the
> recommended experience to have your MCSE certification be of any value to
> you. An ideal candidate for the MCSE certification should have:
>
> At least one year of experience implementing and administering a network
> operating system in environments with the following characteristics:
>
> . 200 to 26,000 supported users
>
> . Five to 150 physical locations
>
> . Typical network services and applications including file and print,
> database, messaging, proxy server or firewall, dial-in server, desktop
> management, and Web hosting
>
> . Connectivity needs including connecting individual offices and users at
> remote locations to the corporate network and connecting corporate
> networks to the Internet
>

> In addition, an MCSE candidate should have at least one year of experience
> in the following areas:
>
> . Implementing and administering a desktop operating system
>
> . Designing a network infrastructure
>
> Currently you do not have this. Tell us what exactly what duties in the
> I.T. field do you want to pursue?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Advance Your Career & Achieve Your IT Career Goals with our Online Phil Tennison C++ 0 01-02-2009 06:22 PM
career advice francis MCSD 6 05-18-2005 12:20 AM
career advice needed =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbms=?= MCSD 2 05-16-2004 07:46 PM
MCSE career advice WaterBarleyHopsYeast MCSE 22 12-09-2003 12:51 AM
Re: advice needed for career vs certification pietpuk MCSD 0 06-29-2003 08:57 AM

Advertisments