Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Received MCP Welcome Kit

Received MCP Welcome Kit

Chachi

I just received my welcome kit in the mail today. It took about six
weeks from the time I requested it. It includes a nice little lapel
pin, an ID card and my MCDST certificate with Bill Gates' signature,
hehe.

I must say that I'm disappointed by the look of the certificate. From
the images I've seen online, the certs used to have a nice multi-color
counterfeit-proof look to them. Mine is just black text on plain
white, with a blue border. Looks like something I could've printed
from my ink jet. Anyone else agree?

-Chachi

Robert Williams [CertGuard]

My only guess as to the reason the certificate is of such poor quality is
because there are so many certified professionals now. Of which, only a fraction
should actually be certified. I see those certificates as a reflection of the
quality of the certification itself. Would you agree?

How do you feel now that you have the certificate in-hand?

Do you feel more superior?

Or do you just feel like you've accomplished something that any old braindumper
could accomplish?

Help raise the value of your certifications.
http://www.certguard.com

--
CertGuard

"Chachi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just received my welcome kit in the mail today. It took about six
> weeks from the time I requested it. It includes a nice little lapel
> pin, an ID card and my MCDST certificate with Bill Gates' signature,
> hehe.
>
> I must say that I'm disappointed by the look of the certificate. From
> the images I've seen online, the certs used to have a nice multi-color
> counterfeit-proof look to them. Mine is just black text on plain
> white, with a blue border. Looks like something I could've printed
> from my ink jet. Anyone else agree?
>
> -Chachi

Montreal MCT

Hi Chachi,

You are right, the certificates have changed a number of times over the
years, and the scuttlebutt is they are going to change again shortly. The
current iteration - the white paper with blue border - came about at the
beginning of July 2006, and it did not happen without a fair amount of
outcry. I know that MSL has heard it and suspect they will do something
shortly. In the meantime frame it... and be proud of it! It is not the
certificate that means something, it is the achievement. With one exception
I have them all framed... and will frame the MCTS when I get my MCITP
shortly.

"Chachi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just received my welcome kit in the mail today. It took about six
> weeks from the time I requested it. It includes a nice little lapel
> pin, an ID card and my MCDST certificate with Bill Gates' signature,
> hehe.
>
> I must say that I'm disappointed by the look of the certificate. From
> the images I've seen online, the certs used to have a nice multi-color
> counterfeit-proof look to them. Mine is just black text on plain
> white, with a blue border. Looks like something I could've printed
> from my ink jet. Anyone else agree?
>
> -Chachi

Chachi

On May 16, 1:59 pm, "Robert Williams [CertGuard]"
<NewsGroups[at[CertGuard[dot]co_> wrote:
> My only guess as to the reason the certificate is of such poor quality is
> because there are so many certified professionals now. Of which, only a fraction
> should actually be certified. I see those certificates as a reflection of the
> quality of the certification itself. Would you agree?

I don't think it's quite that deep. Why would Microsoft deliberately
want to contribute to the pessimistic idea that most, if not all, of
their newly certified are cheaters, and therefore deserve an ugly
looking certificate? I just think Microsoft is being cheap when they
shouldn't. Simple as that. I studied hard and paid good money to sit
the exams -- I would've liked something more attractive and frame
worthy.

I think that most certified pros earned their credentials through hard
work and lots of studying, like myself. Does CertGuard really hold
the opposite idea, that only an elite few actually deserve their cert,
and the remaining majority cheated their way to a passing score?

> How do you feel now that you have the certificate in-hand?

I feel great that I followed through with my goal of earning an MCDST
certificate, but disappointed that it looks so boring and cheap.

> Do you feel more superior?

I feel superior to the person I was two months ago. Accomplishment
does that to me

> Or do you just feel like you've accomplished something that any old braindumper
> could accomplish?

Because I passed my tests legitimately, I feel I've accomplished much
more than a braindumper ever could. I still see plenty of value in my
certs, and so do the companies I'm interviewing with.

> Help raise the value of your certifications.http://www.certguard.com

OK... Anyway, I still like the old certificate design better. I
should have done this back in 2004!

catwalker63

Montreal MCT piffled away vaguely:
> "Chachi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I must say that I'm disappointed by the look of the certificate. From
>> the images I've seen online, the certs used to have a nice multi-color
>> counterfeit-proof look to them. Mine is just black text on plain
>> white, with a blue border. Looks like something I could've printed
>> from my ink jet. Anyone else agree?

> In the meantime frame it... and be proud of it! It is not the
> certificate that means something, it is the achievement. With one exception
> I have them all framed... and will frame the MCTS when I get my MCITP
> shortly.

I don't even have mine out of the envelopes they came in. For the most
part, they don't mean anything to anyone but me.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

CBIC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

For the most
> part, they don't mean anything to anyone but me.

So they are like pictures of pets and kids then?

Robert Williams [CertGuard]

"Chachi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On May 16, 1:59 pm, "Robert Williams [CertGuard]"
> <NewsGroups[at[CertGuard[dot]co_> wrote:
>> My only guess as to the reason the certificate is of such poor quality is
>> because there are so many certified professionals now. Of which, only a
>> fraction
>> should actually be certified. I see those certificates as a reflection of the
>> quality of the certification itself. Would you agree?

> I don't think it's quite that deep. Why would Microsoft deliberately
> want to contribute to the pessimistic idea that most, if not all, of
> their newly certified are cheaters, and therefore deserve an ugly
> looking certificate? I just think Microsoft is being cheap when they
> shouldn't. Simple as that. I studied hard and paid good money to sit
> the exams -- I would've liked something more attractive and frame
> worthy.
>
> I think that most certified pros earned their credentials through hard
> work and lots of studying, like myself. Does CertGuard really hold
> the opposite idea, that only an elite few actually deserve their cert,
> and the remaining majority cheated their way to a passing score?

I feel you've misunderstood what I originally meant.

There are roughly two million Microsoft Certified Professionals out there, of
which it's been estimated that up to 250K of them are cheaters. I did not state
that MOST of the certified professionals cheated on their certs, only that a
fraction of them deserve the certification they have. Last time I checked, 7/8
was still a fraction.

Not that I believe ALL of them need to be certified, but at least they didn't
cheat to achieve those certs. I do not agree with individuals getting certified
just to get certified. I refuse to get certified for that very reason.

If a person has been working on a specific technology for a while and wants to
reinforce their knowledge by getting certified in that technology, then so be
it, but certifications have been abused over the years. Many people see
certifications as a way "to get your foot in the door", so they get certified,
then realize that it didn't do them any good, because they still don't have the
experience (or knowledge) to hold a position that requires someone that's
actually done the work.

People come in here every day asking "I got my MCSA...now What?" (or something
similarly lame) and it bugs many of the professionals here. "What do you mean
you have your MCSA, but don't know where to go with it? Are you serious, you're
a Systems Architect and you don't know what to do?"

As for an elite few? No, an elite few would be the number of MCNGP in existence.
I think 1.75M is quite a bit more than an elite few.

>> How do you feel now that you have the certificate in-hand?

> I feel great that I followed through with my goal of earning an MCDST
> certificate, but disappointed that it looks so boring and cheap.

I'm glad you do and I'm happy that you've accomplished the feat without cheating
or otherwise being immoral about it, but what were you expecting them to send
you? A collegiate degree? I'm sorry, but if you did it for the paper, you're in
the wrong field. If you have a college degree on the wall, you'll understand
that the quality of the certificate reflects what you have put into it,
comparatively of course.

>> Do you feel more superior?

> I feel superior to the person I was two months ago. Accomplishment
> does that to me

Great!! You should feel much better about yourself, I know I do whenever I
accomplish a task that I've been wanting to get done.

>> Or do you just feel like you've accomplished something that any old
>> braindumper
>> could accomplish?

> Because I passed my tests legitimately, I feel I've accomplished much
> more than a braindumper ever could. I still see plenty of value in my
> certs, and so do the companies I'm interviewing with.

They can pass the same tests you do. What makes you better than them is the fact
that you did study legitimately. But how does the employer know that?

>> Help raise the value of your certifications.http://www.certguard.com
>>

> OK... Anyway, I still like the old certificate design better. I
> should have done this back in 2004!

Hindsight is always 20/20.

I have to be honest, when I started researching certifications (around 2003) I
really looked up to the people that held the MCSA and MCSE certifications. Now,
however, I find it hard to look up to some of the MCTs that I know.

Anyways, congrats on your previous accomplishments and good luck on your future
ones.

--
CertGuard
www.CertGuard.com

CBIC

"Robert Williams [CertGuard]" <NewsGroups[at[CertGuard[dot]co_> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> As for an elite few? No, an elite few would be the number of MCNGP in
> existence.

An even more elite few would be the number of MCNGP still posting in these
NGs.

catwalker63

CBIC piffled away vaguely:

> "catwalker63" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> For the most part, they don't mean anything to anyone
>> but me.

> So they are like pictures of pets and kids then?

Good analogy.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

RemoteShark

I am still waiting for my cert. I requested it about 5 weeks ago, so I am
hopeing to get it next week and frame it also. I don't care if Microsoft
prints my credential on toilet paper, the fact is I achieve the requirement
to be an MCP and I can backup with experience, any objective that I have
learned in order to justify my MCP.

The lapel pin and credit card. They are just forms of an identity. I don't
need these things to show-off my MCP. What is more important is what my
paycheck says and that the people I work with realise that I know what I am
talking about. The rest is just Microsoft merchandise!

RemoteShark MCP

Received MCP Welcome Kit Chachi MCDST 0 05-16-2007 09:24 PM
MCP Welcome Kit =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?= Microsoft Certification 2 04-06-2005 05:21 PM
received my Welcome Kit abdul hakim MCSA 9 05-14-2004 01:20 PM
Welcome kit received! Steve M MCDST 2 03-05-2004 11:59 PM
I haven't received MCP welcome kit mail Peter MCSD 1 10-08-2003 07:20 PM

Advertisments