Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Will MCDST for XP exam still be available after VISTA exams are ou

Will MCDST for XP exam still be available after VISTA exams are ou

TedLarsen

I'm just now looking into taking the MCDST tests, but I see that the VISTA
exams will be ready mid-May. Is this exam replacing the current exam, or
will we still be able to take the original (based on XP)?

Thanks in advance,

Ted

catwalker63

TedLarsen piffled away vaguely:

www.microsoft.com/learning

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

TedLarsen

Thanks, but that page is not really helping with my question.

This page comes closest to answering my question, but I'm still not sure.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...e/default.mspx

This talks about the additional test to become a MCITP from a MCDST, and
recommends that you take the MCDST tests in "early 2007" so you can take
advantage of the one-test upgrade to MCITP. I'm not going to be ready to
take any of the MCDST exams for a few months at least, and what I'm trying to
determine is, if I wait till August of this year to take them (after the
MCITP test is out) are they still going to be available to take? Or will I
have to know Vista up and down before I can take an exam to get any kind of
certification?

Ideally, I don't want to spend time learning Vista right now. I'd rather
focus on XP, getting my MCDST first, and then tacking Vista later (and take
the upgrade exam later). My question is, if I wait a few months, will I
still be able to do that? Or will knowing Vista be a prerequsite to getting
any kind of Desktop Administrator certification?

Thanks again,

Ted

"catwalker63" wrote:

> TedLarsen piffled away vaguely:
>
> > I'm just now looking into taking the MCDST tests, but I see that the VISTA
> > exams will be ready mid-May. Is this exam replacing the current exam, or
> > will we still be able to take the original (based on XP)?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Ted

> www.microsoft.com/learning
>
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

catwalker63

TedLarsen piffled away vaguely:

> Thanks, but that page is not really helping with my question.
>
> This page comes closest to answering my question, but I'm still not sure.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...e/default.mspx
>
> This talks about the additional test to become a MCITP from a MCDST, and
> recommends that you take the MCDST tests in "early 2007" so you can take
> advantage of the one-test upgrade to MCITP. I'm not going to be ready to
> take any of the MCDST exams for a few months at least, and what I'm trying to
> determine is, if I wait till August of this year to take them (after the
> MCITP test is out) are they still going to be available to take? Or will I
> have to know Vista up and down before I can take an exam to get any kind of
> certification?
>
> Ideally, I don't want to spend time learning Vista right now. I'd rather
> focus on XP, getting my MCDST first, and then tacking Vista later (and take
> the upgrade exam later). My question is, if I wait a few months, will I
> still be able to do that? Or will knowing Vista be a prerequsite to getting
> any kind of Desktop Administrator certification?

There are no exams slated to retire before early-mid 2008. I don't know
the link for exam retirement off the top of my head but you should be
able to search MS for it. They announce retirements a year in advance
and they do it in the spring. They still have Windows 2000 exams
available until 2008. You should have plenty of time.

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard]

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...storetire.mspx
--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

TedLarsen

Excellent, thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Ted