Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCDST Pay Surveys?

MCDST Pay Surveys?

Michael D. Hensley

I have a friend considering a new career. He's pretty good with computers
(as evaluated by my 20+ years of I.T. experience), and I'm trying to find
out what pay range is available for and entry-level job. In particular, I
believe he can pretty easily obtain an MCDST cert, and start working toward
A+.

So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary surveys
covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking around at some
of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to include pay rates (they
seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

JaR

"Michael D. Hensley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary
> surveys covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking
> around at some of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to
> include pay rates (they seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

That's because CompUSA, Geek Squad, etc all start out at around $7 to $12
hr. Assuming you're in the USA. Inexperienced techs are a dime a dozen. I
actually talked with a Service Mgr at a CompUSA that was looking for an
entry level tech a couple of years ago, that wouldn't even call you for
an interview unless you had experience and a couple three certs. Starting
wage? $11 hr.

I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

--
JaR
And bite me

TheITGirl

"JaR" wrote:

> "Michael D. Hensley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary
> > surveys covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking
> > around at some of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to
> > include pay rates (they seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

> That's because CompUSA, Geek Squad, etc all start out at around $7 to $12
> hr. Assuming you're in the USA. Inexperienced techs are a dime a dozen. I
> actually talked with a Service Mgr at a CompUSA that was looking for an
> entry level tech a couple of years ago, that wouldn't even call you for
> an interview unless you had experience and a couple three certs. Starting
> wage? $11 hr.
>
> I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.
>
> --
> JaR
> And bite me
> Remove hat to reply

$11 an hour for a certified, experienced technician is taking the p*ss - I'm
not surprised you told CompUSA to shove it.

In the UK, at least we have a national minimum wage of £5.35 (approximately
$11) an hour for workers 22 and over, and £4.45 (around $9) for those between
18 and 21.

When I changed career to IT two years ago (I used to be a legal secretary),
I accepted a 3-month student placement with the NHS just to get experience,
but I had to take a huge drop in salary to do so. I had to start on £12,000
a year, pro rata. That placement was extended to 9 months, after which I was
fortunate enough to get a Help Desk position at a law firm (my experience as
a legal secretary was a major factor in my getting this job). I am now
working as a DST at another law firm and have doubled my initial NHS salary.

Michael, however good your friend is, he's almost certainly going to have to
do his time working for peanuts just to get something to put on his CV. If
he's as good as you say he is, with 6-12 months' experience under his belt he
should be able to more easily get a reasonably-paid position.

Wish him all the best from this fellow career changer.

IT Girl MCDST

Michael D. Alligood

> "Michael D. Hensley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary
> > surveys covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking
> > around at some of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to
> > include pay rates (they seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

> That's because CompUSA, Geek Squad, etc all start out at around $7 to $12
> hr. Assuming you're in the USA. Inexperienced techs are a dime a dozen. I
> actually talked with a Service Mgr at a CompUSA that was looking for an
> entry level tech a couple of years ago, that wouldn't even call you for
> an interview unless you had experience and a couple three certs. Starting
> wage? $11 hr.
>
> I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.
>
> --
> JaR
> And bite me
> Remove hat to reply

Yeah, about the same here in Florida. $10 an hour is the going
entry-level wage.
--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Michael D. Hensley

Just a quick note to say "thank you" to everyone who responded. It looks
like a concensus answer is that, for someone starting out with no
experience, somewhere around $10-$12/hour is typical. Since we live in the
SF Bay Area, it's likely to be on the high end, but it will be a pretty
large cut if he decides to go for it (he's making something over $30,000 as
a front-desk clerk at a large hotel).

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm too far seperated in time from "entry
level" to have any idea what current pay rates are. Very interesting.

catwalker63

Michael D. Hensley piffled away vaguely:

> Just a quick note to say "thank you" to everyone who responded. It looks
> like a concensus answer is that, for someone starting out with no
> experience, somewhere around $10-$12/hour is typical. Since we live in the
> SF Bay Area, it's likely to be on the high end, but it will be a pretty
> large cut if he decides to go for it (he's making something over $30,000 as
> a front-desk clerk at a large hotel).

On the plus side, if he turns out to be any good at IT support etc. he
could quickly surpass his $30K salary. As a hotel clerk, he's probably
peaked.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Jo

Michael:

I would have to agree with IT Girl. Unfortunately, in any profession, you
have to start at the bottom and work your way up. There are no guarantees in
any field. I would tell your friend that if he is that good, get his
experience, get his education and move from there. Yes, here in Maryland
it's about the same - $10 an hour. However, I got my A+, my MCP and am now
making over the $30,000 mark. And again, that figure is different for a tech
in banking, a tech in a law firm, or a tech in a corporate environment.
There are a lot of variables.

As I tech in a law firm I was making close to $40,000 with only an A+ and
had an hour subway ride. Got laid off and moved into the banking industry
where my pay is a bit lower, but I'm only 15 minutes from home. Again, a lot
of variables when it comes to the job environment.

I wish your friend luck in his quest.
--
Motochick

"Michael D. Hensley" wrote:

> I have a friend considering a new career. He's pretty good with computers
> (as evaluated by my 20+ years of I.T. experience), and I'm trying to find
> out what pay range is available for and entry-level job. In particular, I
> believe he can pretty easily obtain an MCDST cert, and start working toward
> A+.
>
> So, has anyone seen any web sites with relatively recent salary surveys
> covering entry-level support technicians? I've tried poking around at some
> of the "help wanted" sites, but they don't tend to include pay rates (they
> seem to all say "DOE" or "Market Rate").

Keith Chilton

You're in the banking industry too eh? nice! do you have imaging software to
process your checks? if so what is it's name? we have our software through a
company named "Imagestar" based in California. We have to do banking
training courses where I work on subjects I don't really use... Visit
www.bankerselearning.com to get bored... haha

news:(E-Mail Removed)...