Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > OT: Recommendation on Imaging Software

OT: Recommendation on Imaging Software

Michael D. Alligood

Suffice to say I am out of the loop with drive imaging software
nowadays. I am doing research on the major brands on the market, but
wanted your feedback on what you use -- advantages / disadvantages.

Situation: 4 PC SMB that requires very minimal downtime due to its
promised deadlines. I need imaging software that will restore the PC
back to its original state before the failure. This software also needs
to perform a daily snapshot (image backup) automatically.

Any recommendation?

--
Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Keith Chilton

you caught my attention by saying imaging software... I was thinking in
terms of banking though.. haha Imaging software for processing checks and
financial intstruments... You aren't talking about that though so my
response to this was pointless. haha

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suffice to say I am out of the loop with drive imaging software nowadays.
> I am doing research on the major brands on the market, but wanted your
> feedback on what you use -- advantages / disadvantages.
>
> Situation: 4 PC SMB that requires very minimal downtime due to its
> promised deadlines. I need imaging software that will restore the PC back
> to its original state before the failure. This software also needs to
> perform a daily snapshot (image backup) automatically.
>
> Any recommendation?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

LRM

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suffice to say I am out of the loop with drive imaging software nowadays.
> I am doing research on the major brands on the market, but wanted your
> feedback on what you use -- advantages / disadvantages.
>
> Situation: 4 PC SMB that requires very minimal downtime due to its
> promised deadlines. I need imaging software that will restore the PC back
> to its original state before the failure. This software also needs to
> perform a daily snapshot (image backup) automatically.
>
> Any recommendation?

In a small environment like that, try Acronis or BEX from symantec/veritas
with intelligent recovery disk and see which suits your needs best.

I've used both and Acronis might work best for you but check out the specs
on their websites to make your own choice.

kpg

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> you caught my attention by saying imaging software... I was thinking
> in terms of banking though.. haha Imaging software for processing
> checks and financial intstruments... You aren't talking about that
> though so my response to this was pointless. haha

So you hit the send button becuase...?

Done_Dirt_Cheap

Back in the day, 2001-2002, Symantec had a Ghost Server with a agent managed
deployement which would take snap shots at scheduled days or times. It worked
very well. That product is now called the Ghost Solution Suite.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Suffice to say I am out of the loop with drive imaging software
> nowadays. I am doing research on the major brands on the market, but
> wanted your feedback on what you use -- advantages / disadvantages.
>
> Situation: 4 PC SMB that requires very minimal downtime due to its
> promised deadlines. I need imaging software that will restore the PC
> back to its original state before the failure. This software also needs
> to perform a daily snapshot (image backup) automatically.
>
> Any recommendation?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

MJV

My firm uses Altiris (now owned by Symantec) which does have a snapshot
module. You can setup a task to run at a set time daily, on any or all of
your machines. Another one to look at is an IBM product called Tivoli, same
feature set as Altiris, they are both built on SMS. The major differences
between Altiris/Tivoli and SMS is that Altiris/Tivoli is pretty complete out
of the box, while with SMS. most of the actions you want to run you need to
write scripts for.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Suffice to say I am out of the loop with drive imaging software
> nowadays. I am doing research on the major brands on the market, but
> wanted your feedback on what you use -- advantages / disadvantages.
>
> Situation: 4 PC SMB that requires very minimal downtime due to its
> promised deadlines. I need imaging software that will restore the PC
> back to its original state before the failure. This software also needs
> to perform a daily snapshot (image backup) automatically.
>
> Any recommendation?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood, MCSA, MCDST
> CertGuard - http://www.certguard.com

Andrew

Since Ghost 10 stuffing up my backup and me spending hours on the phone to
Symantic I have lost all faith in Symantic and I tried Acronis and it was the
same poor service.

I have now replaced the Symantic firewall with Avira a German company and
have had no problems and now I am looking for a replacement for Ghost, it was
great when it was Norton Ghost.

I will have a look at BEX

any other sugestions appreciated

pity altiris is now owned by symantic