Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > DNS servers

DNS servers

Keith Chilton

Thanks for the great advice catwalker63 It is appreciated. Hopefully I can
help you sometime..

I figured out why i was having problems with the "Computer Brower" for
network neighborhood. The problem was in our group policy we disable the
Internet Connection Firewall. Apparently "Computer Browser" (browser.dll in
system32) is too dependent on the ICF. After 5 minutes if the firewalls not
there, it decides to quit on you. There is a hotfix from MS out there where
you just replace the browser.dll file. You have to replace it in safe mode
in the system32 directory and the i386 directory if there... (if you dont do
it in safe, Windows replaces it back to the original because of Windows File
Protection)

It's working much nicer now that I did all that!

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:
>
>> Thanks John that all makes sense. I have seen the root hints before in
>> the DNS setup. Is recursion not used by default though? If it were, why
>> would we ever fail finding our internet sites when these forwarder sites
>> are
>> not working? We wouldnt! So it must not be enabled by default. I will go
>> back to the root hints and check that out shortly. I would be glad to get
>> rid of the forwarders altogether. I will also be very glad to enhance my
>> knowledge on DNS servers in the future.
>>
>> What is really kicking my butt at work right now is all of our branches
>> different subnets. That coupled with the Computer Browser service seeing
>> PCs
>> in Network Neighborhood. ugh. I need to be more educated in these areas.
>> Especially the Computer Browser thing. I know it's a service that can be
>> enabled and you can designate Master browsers but it still doesnt seem to
>> work. I even found it's settings in the registry to modify but to no
>> avail.
>> Certain PCs see others on the Network neighborhood and others "just dont"
>> see anything but themselves. Stupid things haha
>>

> Actually, forwarders and caching servers make things more secure and
> reduce DNS traffic, so you don't wanna get rid of them. You shouldn't
> need to check your root hints either. Recursion is the default for DNS
> servers, usually.
>
> Network browsing, however, depends on NETBIOS which is a broadcast based
> resolution process by default. If your clients are on other subnets and
> you are not using WINS or some other NBNS on every subnet with
> replication going across the routers, you will have trouble seeing stuff
> in Network Neighborhood. Also, browser elections can create all sorts
> of heavy traffic so you need to make sure all your clients are not
> initiating browser elections every time they boot.
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

catwalker63

Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

> Thanks for the great advice catwalker63 It is appreciated. Hopefully I can
> help you sometime..
>
> I figured out why i was having problems with the "Computer Brower" for
> network neighborhood. The problem was in our group policy we disable the
> Internet Connection Firewall. Apparently "Computer Browser" (browser.dll in
> system32) is too dependent on the ICF. After 5 minutes if the firewalls not
> there, it decides to quit on you. There is a hotfix from MS out there where
> you just replace the browser.dll file. You have to replace it in safe mode
> in the system32 directory and the i386 directory if there... (if you dont do
> it in safe, Windows replaces it back to the original because of Windows File
> Protection)
>
> It's working much nicer now that I did all that!

Bonus. There's something I didn't know.