Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > DNS servers

DNS servers

Keith Chilton

I was curious if anyone knew of any legality articles concerning DNS servers
out there on the Internet? If your ISP gives you a DNS server but you use a
different one? Is that so wrong?

--
Keith Chilton - MCDST, MCP
Data Services Technician

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
representative independent of this message.

catwalker63

Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

> I was curious if anyone knew of any legality articles concerning DNS servers
> out there on the Internet? If your ISP gives you a DNS server but you use a
> different one? Is that so wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean by your ISP giving you one. Weird. I don't
reference my ISP's DNS server from my workstation if that's what you
mean. I have my own. And that's not wrong. Micrsoft's DNS client,
that's another story. That's a crime, that's what that is.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

Keith Chilton

If you have a "sticky" IP address given to you (because you requested it),
you will also be given DNS servers to use because you're not DHCP enabled.
Just checking out your own IP configuration will show you the DNS servers
you have been assigned by your ISP. My question is if you manually set those
to other DNS servers out there on the internet, is that "wrong"? DNS is a
distributed database so I don't see that much wrong with it. Especially if
the DNS server you have been given tends to get "maintenanced" quite a bit
by your ISP. It's always fun not being told about the "maintenance" and not
having Internetion connectivity.

news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:
>
>> I was curious if anyone knew of any legality articles concerning DNS
>> servers
>> out there on the Internet? If your ISP gives you a DNS server but you use
>> different one? Is that so wrong?
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by your ISP giving you one. Weird. I don't
> reference my ISP's DNS server from my workstation if that's what you
> mean. I have my own. And that's not wrong. Micrsoft's DNS client,
> that's another story. That's a crime, that's what that is.
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

catwalker63

Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:

> If you have a "sticky" IP address given to you (because you requested it),
> you will also be given DNS servers to use because you're not DHCP enabled.
> Just checking out your own IP configuration will show you the DNS servers
> you have been assigned by your ISP. My question is if you manually set those
> to other DNS servers out there on the internet, is that "wrong"? DNS is a
> distributed database so I don't see that much wrong with it. Especially if
> the DNS server you have been given tends to get "maintenanced" quite a bit
> by your ISP. It's always fun not being told about the "maintenance" and not
> having Internetion connectivity.

Turn off the ones the ISP gave you and build your own. Lock 'em out.

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

Keith Chilton

I wouldnt have the foggiest about doing that. Nor would I probably have the
time to do that... haha

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Keith Chilton piffled away vaguely:
>
>> If you have a "sticky" IP address given to you (because you requested
>> it),
>> you will also be given DNS servers to use because you're not DHCP
>> enabled.
>> Just checking out your own IP configuration will show you the DNS servers
>> you have been assigned by your ISP. My question is if you manually set
>> those
>> to other DNS servers out there on the internet, is that "wrong"? DNS is a
>> distributed database so I don't see that much wrong with it. Especially
>> if
>> the DNS server you have been given tends to get "maintenanced" quite a
>> bit
>> by your ISP. It's always fun not being told about the "maintenance" and
>> not
>> having Internetion connectivity.

> Turn off the ones the ISP gave you and build your own. Lock 'em out.
>
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

John R

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have a "sticky" IP address given to you (because you requested it),
> you will also be given DNS servers to use because you're not DHCP enabled.
> Just checking out your own IP configuration will show you the DNS servers
> you have been assigned by your ISP. My question is if you manually set
> those to other DNS servers out there on the internet, is that "wrong"? DNS
> is a distributed database so I don't see that much wrong with it.
> Especially if the DNS server you have been given tends to get
> "maintenanced" quite a bit by your ISP. It's always fun not being told
> about the "maintenance" and not having Internetion connectivity.

As I recall, when we setup one of our WAN connections, the ISP gave us the
addresses of a couple of their DNS servers that we could use if we wanted.
But, like most companies, we had our own. We didn't want to have to get
them involved everytime we wanted to put a new hostname up, or change the
address of our mail server. Once your registered name (if you have one) is
associated with your IP, the ISPs DNSs are simply a freebee, not a
requirement. Your DNS servers are more than capable of recursive
resolution, there is nothing special about the ISPs. If you want, point
your DNS forwarders to their servers and let their servers do the work.
However, that is considered impolite by most people, even if it does
conserver a little bandwidth on your end.

John

Keith Chilton

We just use the DNS servers given to us because that is what works, not
because we're being impolite. If nothing is in the DNS forwarders, how do
you get your DNS requests to access the Internet? You said something about
recursive resolution so I'm sure that has to do with it. Do you just put the
IP address of yourself in the forwarder section? I've never attempted that.
I just don't know DNS in great detail but I plan on learning it much more
thoroughly pretty soon. Thanks John!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have a "sticky" IP address given to you (because you requested
>> it), you will also be given DNS servers to use because you're not DHCP
>> enabled. Just checking out your own IP configuration will show you the
>> DNS servers you have been assigned by your ISP. My question is if you
>> manually set those to other DNS servers out there on the internet, is
>> that "wrong"? DNS is a distributed database so I don't see that much
>> wrong with it. Especially if the DNS server you have been given tends to
>> get "maintenanced" quite a bit by your ISP. It's always fun not being
>> told about the "maintenance" and not having Internetion connectivity.
>>

> As I recall, when we setup one of our WAN connections, the ISP gave us the
> addresses of a couple of their DNS servers that we could use if we wanted.
> But, like most companies, we had our own. We didn't want to have to get
> them involved everytime we wanted to put a new hostname up, or change the
> address of our mail server. Once your registered name (if you have one)
> is associated with your IP, the ISPs DNSs are simply a freebee, not a
> requirement. Your DNS servers are more than capable of recursive
> resolution, there is nothing special about the ISPs. If you want, point
> your DNS forwarders to their servers and let their servers do the work.
> However, that is considered impolite by most people, even if it does
> conserver a little bandwidth on your end.
>
> John

John R

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> We just use the DNS servers given to us because that is what works, not
> because we're being impolite. If nothing is in the DNS forwarders, how do
> you get your DNS requests to access the Internet? You said something about
> recursive resolution so I'm sure that has to do with it. Do you just put
> the IP address of yourself in the forwarder section? I've never attempted
> that. I just don't know DNS in great detail but I plan on learning it much
> more thoroughly pretty soon. Thanks John!
>

>> As I recall, when we setup one of our WAN connections, the ISP gave us
>> the addresses of a couple of their DNS servers that we could use if we
>> wanted. But, like most companies, we had our own. We didn't want to have
>> to get them involved everytime we wanted to put a new hostname up, or
>> change the address of our mail server. Once your registered name (if you
>> have one) is associated with your IP, the ISPs DNSs are simply a freebee,
>> not a requirement. Your DNS servers are more than capable of recursive
>> resolution, there is nothing special about the ISPs. If you want, point
>> your DNS forwarders to their servers and let their servers do the work.
>> However, that is considered impolite by most people, even if it does
>> conserver a little bandwidth on your end.
>>
>> John

When you setup DNS, you can have it do recursive resolution, or you can have
it forward the request to another DNS server. Let's look at each.
(Learning DNS can take a whole book, this is the reader's digest condensed
version, with a lot of points left out).

If your DNS does recursion, and your client submits a request for
'www.xyz.com', your DNS will check it's cache to see if it has cached the
address for that. If not, then your DNS will have something called "root
hints" to contact a root server who is authorative for the ".com" domain.
Your DNS will then contact that DNS to find out where xyz.com is. Your DNS
will then contact that DNS for the host record for 'www.xyz.com'. Then,
your DNS will cache the result and return that result to you so that your
client can contact the host. This process of finding the desired host is
called recursion.

If you like, you can setup your DNS to point to a 'forwarder'. So, if your
DNS is not authorative for 'xyz.com' and does not have 'xyz.com' or
'www.xyz.com' cached, it will forward the request to another DNS server who
will go through the recursion process for you and return the resolution of
'www.xyz.com' to your DNS server, who then caches it and returns it to the
client..

Sometimes, if you have multiple DNS servers in your organization, it would
not be unusual for all of them to forward requests to a single
well-connected DNS server (either your's, or someone else's) to do recursive
lookups and simply return the result. This minimizes the DNS traffic on
your LAN/WAN since you don't have multiple DNS servers doing recursive
lookups all over the place. In all cases, DNS servers will cache whatever
they find out (either through recursion or through the result of a forwarded
request) so that they don't have to do that again if they don't have to.
Now you get into TTL times, etc, but I digress.

In a nutshell, that is a brief outline of how DNS works. Again, there are
lots of other things about DNS such as zones, zone replications, yada yada,
but this should explain what I meant. When you get to the MCSA/MCSE core
tests, you will study this in much much more detail.

John

Keith Chilton

Thanks John that all makes sense. I have seen the root hints before in
the DNS setup. Is recursion not used by default though? If it were, why
would we ever fail finding our internet sites when these forwarder sites are
not working? We wouldnt! So it must not be enabled by default. I will go
back to the root hints and check that out shortly. I would be glad to get
rid of the forwarders altogether. I will also be very glad to enhance my
knowledge on DNS servers in the future.

What is really kicking my butt at work right now is all of our branches
different subnets. That coupled with the Computer Browser service seeing PCs
in Network Neighborhood. ugh. I need to be more educated in these areas.
Especially the Computer Browser thing. I know it's a service that can be
enabled and you can designate Master browsers but it still doesnt seem to
work. I even found it's settings in the registry to modify but to no avail.
Certain PCs see others on the Network neighborhood and others "just dont"
see anything but themselves. Stupid things haha

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> not working? We wouldnt! So it must not be enabled by default. I will go
> back to the root hints and check that out shortly. I would be glad to get
> rid of the forwarders altogether. I will also be very glad to enhance my
> knowledge on DNS servers in the future.
>
> What is really kicking my butt at work right now is all of our branches
> different subnets. That coupled with the Computer Browser service seeing PCs
> in Network Neighborhood. ugh. I need to be more educated in these areas.
> Especially the Computer Browser thing. I know it's a service that can be
> enabled and you can designate Master browsers but it still doesnt seem to
> work. I even found it's settings in the registry to modify but to no avail.
> Certain PCs see others on the Network neighborhood and others "just dont"
> see anything but themselves. Stupid things haha

Actually, forwarders and caching servers make things more secure and
reduce DNS traffic, so you don't wanna get rid of them. You shouldn't
need to check your root hints either. Recursion is the default for DNS
servers, usually.

Network browsing, however, depends on NETBIOS which is a broadcast based
resolution process by default. If your clients are on other subnets and
you are not using WINS or some other NBNS on every subnet with
replication going across the routers, you will have trouble seeing stuff
in Network Neighborhood. Also, browser elections can create all sorts
of heavy traffic so you need to make sure all your clients are not
initiating browser elections every time they boot.