Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Question on Virtual memory

Question on Virtual memory

Mary Thomas

Is it possible to defrag virtual memory pages? I don't have another disc to
use for the page file.

Thanks for any advice

catwalker63

Mary Thomas piffled away vaguely:

> Is it possible to defrag virtual memory pages? I don't have another disc to
> use for the page file.
>
> Thanks for any advice

The only way I know is to delete it, reboot, and recreate it. A
very risky procedure. Try the MS Knowledge Base.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

JaR

Mary Thomas wrote:
> Is it possible to defrag virtual memory pages? I don't have another disc to
> use for the page file.
>
> Thanks for any advice

Not with Windows built in defragger, you will need a third-party defrag
like Diskeeper. The only other solution is to delete your virtual
memory, then defrag, then recreate the page file. This works, but make
sure you close all unnecessary running processes.

Why Windows doen't do this natively, I have no idea.

--
JaR
What else is new

Neil

did you hear JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:uxBWcr6eHHA.1240
@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

> Why Windows doen't do this natively, I have no idea.

because messing with open files while defragging is a bad idea. M$ has
other fires to fight prior to that. Even the 3rd party stuff (such as
Diskeeper - which I lurv) does the swap file on a reboot.

Now a better question is why M$ just doesn't BUY executive software and
get it over with. (unless of course, they are busy snapping up other
companies such as Sysinternals, UMT, Proclarity and (jeez, how I wish)
Dundas...)

--
The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X

- Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell
him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.

JaR

Neil wrote:
> did you hear JaR <(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:uxBWcr6eHHA.1240
> @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
>
>> Why Windows doen't do this natively, I have no idea.

> because messing with open files while defragging is a bad idea. M$ has
> other fires to fight prior to that.

Yes it is. But MS has had this issue with the page file for how long?
And how long have third party solutions been available that were able to
handle defrag completely?

Even the 3rd party stuff (such as
> Diskeeper - which I lurv) does the swap file on a reboot.

If I understand correctly, the newest version of DK does not require a
reboot. In fact they claim operation is now "transparent" and does not
require scheduling.

> Now a better question is why M$ just doesn't BUY executive software and
> get it over with. (unless of course, they are busy snapping up other
> companies such as Sysinternals, UMT, Proclarity and (jeez, how I wish)
> Dundas...)

Oh, cmon now. Ya think Bill is rich or sumpin?

--
JaR
Sarcasm r us

Thor

Problem seems not to go away in Vista.

<snip src="http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pages/447168.aspx">
[[
Defrag Team [MSFT] (Expert):
Q: Does Vista defrag defrag the swap file? If not, is there a workaround so
we can get it defraged without "outside" utilities?
A: No Defrag cannot defragment the swap file, since it is written to
directly and locked by the memory manager. However the strategies for
allocating the swap file have been improved on Vista and you should see less
file fragments in it.
]]
</snip>

I'm thinking (resets not included)...

1) defrag (I think)
2) shrink/remove swap
3) defrag
4) grow swap

....or...

1) defrag (I think)
2) shrink partition
3) create new partition
4) move swap to new part
5) defrag old part
6) move swap to old part
7) grow part

....and, anyway, buy more RAM. Sorry.

53

"Mary Thomas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:##(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to defrag virtual memory pages? I don't have another disc
> to use for the page file.
>
> Thanks for any advice

catwalker63

Thor piffled away vaguely:

<snip>

> ...and, anyway, buy more RAM. Sorry.
>
> 53

<snip>

TMML. Also the answer to any performance issue in Windows.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

Keith Chilton

How about just preventing access to the swap file in the first place by
using a group policy user right (referred to as a paged file)? If your
system is depending on swapping files between the memory and hard drive,
it's performance is slow and you obviously need more memory in your system!

Thor

I hear you can get QNX (my first UNIX) to run all in the processor cache. I
guess that is an even better idea. Jokes aside, the swap is here to stay. I
think you will see memory treated as disk before you see swap file go away.
Performance of the swap file is good. I see it as "using disk as memory" not
"swapping files between memory and drive".

news:(E-Mail Removed)...