Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Controlling Access to Shared Folder

Controlling Access to Shared Folder

Jamie Wenner

ok guys, I really gave myself more credit than I was due in regards how
prepaired I thought I was for studing the 70-271. For the most part I feel
real confortable with what I have studied. But the combined access level with
Sharing and NTSF is driving me crazy. Has anyone come up with a simple way to
remember how to compare NTSF premission vs. Shared folder permissions to
quickly identify what level of access a users will be granted. My Active
directory group policies is not helping the way we have it set up.

Thanks

--
Jamie Wenner
Radio Holland USA, INC.

catwalker63

Jamie Wenner piffled away vaguely:

> ok guys, I really gave myself more credit than I was due in regards how
> prepaired I thought I was for studing the 70-271. For the most part I feel
> real confortable with what I have studied. But the combined access level with
> Sharing and NTSF is driving me crazy. Has anyone come up with a simple way to
> remember how to compare NTSF premission vs. Shared folder permissions to
> quickly identify what level of access a users will be granted. My Active
> directory group policies is not helping the way we have it set up.
>
> Thanks

Try it out and keep working at it and it will suddenly click. One way
is to make two columns and label one NTFS and the other Share. Put the
appropriate permissions for the user and each group they belong to in
the appropriate column. For NTFS, the effective permission is the LEAST
restrictive of all for the user and all of the groups unless there is an
explicit deny, so write that down at the bottom of the column. Same for
Share permissions. Now, look at the permissions at the bottom of each
column and compare them. The effective permissions over the network are
the MOST restrictive permissions between Share and NTFS.

When you go to try this in the real world, setup the share as open to
all Authenticated Users for the Share permissions and then set your
actual restrictions with NTFS. NTFS permissions affect the user whether
they log in locally or access files over the network. Share permissions
will only affect a user accessing a share. NTFS permissions are also
more granular, giving you more control and, potentially, really
confusing you.

--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

catwalker63

Jamie Wenner piffled away vaguely:

> ok guys, I really gave myself more credit than I was due in regards how
> prepaired I thought I was for studing the 70-271. For the most part I feel
> real confortable with what I have studied. But the combined access level with
> Sharing and NTSF is driving me crazy. Has anyone come up with a simple way to
> remember how to compare NTSF premission vs. Shared folder permissions to
> quickly identify what level of access a users will be granted. My Active
> directory group policies is not helping the way we have it set up.
>
> Thanks

Also, group policy and permissions are completely different things.