Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > RE: Pre Exam Nerves....

RE: Pre Exam Nerves....

LarryWestMCSD

Are you satisfied that you understand ALL of the items listed in the "skills
being measured" section of the Preparation Guide?
If so, and you actually only understand 80% or so, you will still pass.
If you don't understand enough to answer the question "How do I [skill being
measured]?" for each skill, then perhaps you need to postpone the exam until
you do. It doesn't cost anything to reschedule (if at least a day in
advance). I've done it so many times that the lady at the testing center said
"glad you finally made it" when I show up.

Otherwise, go for it and best wishes.

"Irish_IT_hopeful" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm new to this newsgroup and have found it useful so far...I've got my
> first MCP exam in a few days and I'm starting to get a bit nervous...I'm
> going for the 70-271. I know that you can't tell me what to expect,
> but...umm...what can I expect?! I've been working in a public sector
> organisation for a few years supporting NT servers, Win 2k/XP desktops and
> Win2k/2k3 servers...I've got some good hands-on experience but have never
> taken any computer hardware/software classes...am I mad?!
> --
> ===
> I''ve never taken any computer classes...I''m a musician!

catwalker63

Irish_IT_hopeful piffled away vaguely:

> I feel happy enough with what is required...I've installed and setup XP on
> maybe 30 live machines, had to deal with all sorts of end-user problems
> (connectivity, hardware, OS, apps), I've also done a lot of server side work
> - NT4, Win2k/2k3 so I think I've got enough real world experience to think my
> way through any question...if I fail then I'm sure it's because I'm not quite
> ready. I think the experience of the exam is more daunting than the content!

Most people agree that the hardest part of the exam is that last button
to end the exam.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

TheITGirl

"catwalker63" wrote:

> Irish_IT_hopeful piffled away vaguely:
>
> > I feel happy enough with what is required...I've installed and setup XP on
> > maybe 30 live machines, had to deal with all sorts of end-user problems
> > (connectivity, hardware, OS, apps), I've also done a lot of server side work
> > - NT4, Win2k/2k3 so I think I've got enough real world experience to think my
> > way through any question...if I fail then I'm sure it's because I'm not quite
> > ready. I think the experience of the exam is more daunting than the content!

Hi Hopeful Irish Guy

I'm a recently qualified MCDST - I quite understand your apprehension - I
was SOOOO nervous when I took my first exam that half an hour into the exam I
really needed the loo and had to sit with my legs crossed until I finished!

You certainly seem to have plenty of real-world experience. You certainly
have more experience installing XP than me - at my firm I use Altiris to
image computers, and all I do is right click the computer, choose the Job
Scheduling Wizard, and away I go!

It may be worth getting one of the Exam Cram books to supplement your
experience (IMO the one for the 70-271 exam is especially good) - here in
England they are around £21 (about 30-35 euro?). With these you get a CD-ROM
with 50 Measure Up questions on.

Here is a link to CertGuard's "Cheapskate's Guide to Guilt-Free Practice
Questions",
http://certcities.com/editorial/feat...ditorialsID=26. This
contains links to some free non-braindump practice questions (though one of
the sites does contain advertisements for braindump sites).

> Most people agree that the hardest part of the exam is that last button
> to end the exam.
> --
>
> Catwalker
> MCNGP #43
> www.mcngp.com
> "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

Catwalker is so right - the 30 seconds or so that the system takes to score
your exam seems to last forever!

Best of luck, and don't forget to post here and let us know how you got on!

BTW I lurrve the Irish accent ...

IT Girl MCDST