Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: OT: Interesting discovery

Re: OT: Interesting discovery

Michael D. Alligood

WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST
newsgroup. See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I ran into an interesting computer issue today. One that I have never
> witnessed before in 13 years -- or as long as DVI input/output has been
> around. check it out on my blog and email/post/or comment if you
> have ever heard of this. Just thought I would share with my fellow
> MCDSTs.
>
> MotS: Check everything!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

Keith Chilton

Did her video card have VGA and DVI on it? or just DVI? Where was the VGA
connection located?

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST newsgroup.
> See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I ran into an interesting computer issue today. One that I have never
>> witnessed before in 13 years -- or as long as DVI input/output has been
>> around. check it out on my blog and email/post/or comment if you
>> have ever heard of this. Just thought I would share with my fellow
>> MCDSTs.
>>
>> MotS: Check everything!
>>
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood
>> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> CIW Certified Instructor
>>
>> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

Keith Chilton

I assume you updated the DVI cards drivers..........

Maybe the connection for the DVI card had a cable loose or the graphics card
Fan was clogged with dirt or something physical like that. Or maybe the DVI
just blew up and had fried circuits.. lol I'm not sure on that one

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST newsgroup.
> See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I ran into an interesting computer issue today. One that I have never
>> witnessed before in 13 years -- or as long as DVI input/output has been
>> around. check it out on my blog and email/post/or comment if you
>> have ever heard of this. Just thought I would share with my fellow
>> MCDSTs.
>>
>> MotS: Check everything!
>>
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood
>> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> CIW Certified Instructor
>>
>> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

Michael D. Alligood

The card had both DVI and VGA. I switched out the DVI cable from the PC
to the monitor. Still BSoD/auto reboot. It just would not boot while
plugged into the DVI port. Only the VGA.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> I assume you updated the DVI cards drivers..........
>
> Maybe the connection for the DVI card had a cable loose or the graphics card
> Fan was clogged with dirt or something physical like that. Or maybe the DVI
> just blew up and had fried circuits.. lol I'm not sure on that one
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST newsgroup.
> > See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I ran into an interesting computer issue today. One that I have never
> >> witnessed before in 13 years -- or as long as DVI input/output has been
> >> around. check it out on my blog and email/post/or comment if you
> >> have ever heard of this. Just thought I would share with my fellow
> >> MCDSTs.
> >>
> >> MotS: Check everything!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael D. Alligood
> >> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> >> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> >> CIW Certified Instructor
> >>
> >> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom

Jeff

You probably should try an older graphic card driver. I bet on the new
install you are using the newest drivers.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The card had both DVI and VGA. I switched out the DVI cable from the PC to
> the monitor. Still BSoD/auto reboot. It just would not boot while plugged
> into the DVI port. Only the VGA.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I assume you updated the DVI cards drivers..........
>>
>> Maybe the connection for the DVI card had a cable loose or the graphics
>> card
>> Fan was clogged with dirt or something physical like that. Or maybe the
>> DVI
>> just blew up and had fried circuits.. lol I'm not sure on that one
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > WARNING MUTI POST. I am done for the night! Meant for the MCDST
>> > newsgroup.
>> > See below. Happy St. Patrick's day!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >
>> > http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>> >

>> > "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Michael D. Alligood

I used the original OEM driver disks that came with the PC. And when I
did the Microsoft Updates, I always make sure not to download the
optional hardware updates, just the critical updates. It really is a
mystery.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You probably should try an older graphic card driver. I bet on the new
> install you are using the newest drivers.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The card had both DVI and VGA. I switched out the DVI cable from the PC to
> > the monitor. Still BSoD/auto reboot. It just would not boot while plugged
> > into the DVI port. Only the VGA.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I assume you updated the DVI cards drivers..........
> >>
> >> Maybe the connection for the DVI card had a cable loose or the graphics
> >> card
> >> Fan was clogged with dirt or something physical like that. Or maybe the
> >> DVI
> >> just blew up and had fried circuits.. lol I'm not sure on that one
> >>
> >> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

There are duds in everything you buy and computers are no exception. It
wouldn't suprise me if the VGA part of the card that was bought kicked the
bucket too in the near future. I wonder how this card would act in a
different computer's motherboard and monitor hooked up to it? If it acted
identically, it's the card and it should be returned and refunded to the
customer as being sold to the customer defective.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23mkp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I used the original OEM driver disks that came with the PC. And when I did
>the Microsoft Updates, I always make sure not to download the optional
>hardware updates, just the critical updates. It really is a mystery.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> You probably should try an older graphic card driver. I bet on the new
>> install you are using the newest drivers.
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > The card had both DVI and VGA. I switched out the DVI cable from the PC
>> > the monitor. Still BSoD/auto reboot. It just would not boot while
>> > plugged
>> > into the DVI port. Only the VGA.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >
>> > http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>> >

>> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:#(E-Mail Removed):

Jeff

Then download and use some newer drivers. Something isn't the same.
You may want to reseat the graphics card too. Maybe you have some classic
"chip creep".

>"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:%23mkp$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I used the original OEM driver disks that came with the PC. And when I did
>the Microsoft Updates, I always make sure not to download the optional
>hardware updates, just the critical updates. It really is a mystery.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> You probably should try an older graphic card driver. I bet on the new
>> install you are using the newest drivers.
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > The card had both DVI and VGA. I switched out the DVI cable from the PC
>> > the monitor. Still BSoD/auto reboot. It just would not boot while
>> > plugged
>> > into the DVI port. Only the VGA.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >
>> > http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>> >

>> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:#(E-Mail Removed):

Michael D. Alligood

Oh man this is a 5 year old Gateway running Windows XP. It is a play
around computer that the family uses. The ironic part of this whole
thing is that it worked prior to the reload. I used the OEM CD and
driver disks that originally came with the computer. The monitor is the
same that was purchased with the computer. The flat panel monitor itself
has two ports, DVI and VGA. When plugged in the computer with DVI; BSoD.
VGA, works perfectly.

It is not a big deal and I am not trying to find a solution because the
client does not care one bit. I thought I would share and try to make
sense of the issue.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> There are duds in everything you buy and computers are no exception. It
> wouldn't suprise me if the VGA part of the card that was bought kicked the
> bucket too in the near future. I wonder how this card would act in a
> different computer's motherboard and monitor hooked up to it? If it acted
> identically, it's the card and it should be returned and refunded to the
> customer as being sold to the customer defective.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23mkp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I used the original OEM driver disks that came with the PC. And when I did
> >the Microsoft Updates, I always make sure not to download the optional
> >hardware updates, just the critical updates. It really is a mystery.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> You probably should try an older graphic card driver. I bet on the new
> >> install you are using the newest drivers.
> >>
> >> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Michael D. Alligood

I performed all your suggestions. Reset the card and downloaded the
latest drivers. When the newly installed drivers did not work, I rolled
back to the original drivers.

It just likes VGA I guess. But I have never seen a computer BSoD when
you plug a monitor into it! Well just the DVI port anyway. But still,
never seen it in 13 years.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,