Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Virtual pc- Questions

Virtual pc- Questions

Need help on MCP certification test

Good day:

The Virtual pc is interesting. Does it follow that a one can run XP
Professional as a Virtual O/S on a XP Home O/S? I didn't that question
addressed in the FAQs.
Secondly, at first glance it appears that the minimum requirements for the
Virtual pc are requirements that are in addition to the requirements
associated with the current O/S that is already running on the subject pc. Is
that a correct understanding?

Finally, other than time, is there any advantage to using the XP 90 Day
Evaluation CD- the one that comes with the Press book, over using the Virtual
pc? Does anyone know of possible issues that could arise with the use of the
Virtual pc? Bill

Michael D. Alligood

Yes you can install a virtual image of Windows XP Professional on a
Windows XP Home PC. I did not follow your second question, so I will go
to your third. There are no advantages to install a 90 day evaluation
copy of Windows XP Professional over installing it virtually. Here are a
few reason:
1.) It is a 90 day evaluation operating system
2.) You need a second pc to install the 90 day evaluation software.
This is because it does not make any sense to blow away your only
production machine to install a evaluation operating system.
3.) There is no fail safe if you corrupt your evaluation operating
system with the exception of reloading. With Virtual PC, you can totally
screw up your virtual system and rebuild it virtually while your
production machine remains unharmed.

You are more than welcome to post further question concerning virtual pc
here; however there is a newsgroup dedicated to the technology. It can
be found at Microsoft.public.virtualpc

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Need help on MCP certification test"
<(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Good day:
>
> The Virtual pc is interesting. Does it follow that a one can run XP
> Professional as a Virtual O/S on a XP Home O/S? I didn't that question
> addressed in the FAQs.
> Secondly, at first glance it appears that the minimum requirements for the
> Virtual pc are requirements that are in addition to the requirements
> associated with the current O/S that is already running on the subject pc. Is
> that a correct understanding?
>
> Finally, other than time, is there any advantage to using the XP 90 Day
> Evaluation CD- the one that comes with the Press book, over using the Virtual
> pc? Does anyone know of possible issues that could arise with the use of the
> Virtual pc? Bill

Need help on MCP certification test

Good day:
Michael, thank you, your answers are helpful. The second question is this
..... what are the system requirements for addiing the Virtual pc. Say for
example, one has 2.8 GHz and 512 Ram and is already running XP Home, are
there requirements for additional Ram and GHz, or is that which is running
the XP Home sufficient ? Bill
I also have a older Dell computer with XP Professional on it, but I'm
interested in knowing about the Virtual pc. I can visit the other web site
but I thought you might know. And you are very correct, sometime ago I did
blow away the machine on which I loaded on the evaluation cd. I don't want to
use another evaulation cd. Bill

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Yes you can install a virtual image of Windows XP Professional on a
> Windows XP Home PC. I did not follow your second question, so I will go
> to your third. There are no advantages to install a 90 day evaluation
> copy of Windows XP Professional over installing it virtually. Here are a
> few reason:
> 1.) It is a 90 day evaluation operating system
> 2.) You need a second pc to install the 90 day evaluation software.
> This is because it does not make any sense to blow away your only
> production machine to install a evaluation operating system.
> 3.) There is no fail safe if you corrupt your evaluation operating
> system with the exception of reloading. With Virtual PC, you can totally
> screw up your virtual system and rebuild it virtually while your
> production machine remains unharmed.
>
> You are more than welcome to post further question concerning virtual pc
> here; however there is a newsgroup dedicated to the technology. It can
> be found at Microsoft.public.virtualpc
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Need help on MCP certification test"
> <(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Good day:
> >
> > The Virtual pc is interesting. Does it follow that a one can run XP
> > Professional as a Virtual O/S on a XP Home O/S? I didn't that question
> > addressed in the FAQs.
> > Secondly, at first glance it appears that the minimum requirements for the
> > Virtual pc are requirements that are in addition to the requirements
> > associated with the current O/S that is already running on the subject pc. Is
> > that a correct understanding?
> >
> > Finally, other than time, is there any advantage to using the XP 90 Day
> > Evaluation CD- the one that comes with the Press book, over using the Virtual
> > pc? Does anyone know of possible issues that could arise with the use of the
> > Virtual pc? Bill

Michael D. Alligood

Here is a great link that will provide the information you requested. I
would put it down in the post; but why recreate the wheel right?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Need help on MCP certification test"
<(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Good day:
> Michael, thank you, your answers are helpful. The second question is this
> .... what are the system requirements for addiing the Virtual pc. Say for
> example, one has 2.8 GHz and 512 Ram and is already running XP Home, are
> there requirements for additional Ram and GHz, or is that which is running
> the XP Home sufficient ? Bill
> I also have a older Dell computer with XP Professional on it, but I'm
> interested in knowing about the Virtual pc. I can visit the other web site
> but I thought you might know. And you are very correct, sometime ago I did
> blow away the machine on which I loaded on the evaluation cd. I don't want to
> use another evaulation cd. Bill
>

> "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
>
> > Yes you can install a virtual image of Windows XP Professional on a
> > Windows XP Home PC. I did not follow your second question, so I will go
> > to your third. There are no advantages to install a 90 day evaluation
> > copy of Windows XP Professional over installing it virtually. Here are a
> > few reason:
> > 1.) It is a 90 day evaluation operating system
> > 2.) You need a second pc to install the 90 day evaluation software.
> > This is because it does not make any sense to blow away your only
> > production machine to install a evaluation operating system.
> > 3.) There is no fail safe if you corrupt your evaluation operating
> > system with the exception of reloading. With Virtual PC, you can totally
> > screw up your virtual system and rebuild it virtually while your
> > production machine remains unharmed.
> >
> > You are more than welcome to post further question concerning virtual pc
> > here; however there is a newsgroup dedicated to the technology. It can
> > be found at Microsoft.public.virtualpc
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Need help on MCP certification test"
> > <(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > Good day:
> > >
> > > The Virtual pc is interesting. Does it follow that a one can run XP
> > > Professional as a Virtual O/S on a XP Home O/S? I didn't that question
> > > addressed in the FAQs.
> > > Secondly, at first glance it appears that the minimum requirements for the
> > > Virtual pc are requirements that are in addition to the requirements
> > > associated with the current O/S that is already running on the subject pc. Is
> > > that a correct understanding?
> > >
> > > Finally, other than time, is there any advantage to using the XP 90 Day
> > > Evaluation CD- the one that comes with the Press book, over using the Virtual
> > > pc? Does anyone know of possible issues that could arise with the use of the
> > > Virtual pc? Bill

virtual pc won't run on xp home

Ummm, Although XP home can be a 'guest' operating system, Virtual PC will not
run on XP home. Virtual PC 2007 runs on Windows Vista Business, Windows
Vista Enterprise, Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Professional, or Windows
XP Tablet PC Edition. see
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx
Virtual PC 2004 runs on: Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional,
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.
see
Virtual PC 2004 vs. Virtual Server: Comparison of Features and Use

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Yes you can install a virtual image of Windows XP Professional on a
> Windows XP Home PC. I did not follow your second question, so I will go
> to your third. There are no advantages to install a 90 day evaluation
> copy of Windows XP Professional over installing it virtually. Here are a
> few reason:
> 1.) It is a 90 day evaluation operating system
> 2.) You need a second pc to install the 90 day evaluation software.
> This is because it does not make any sense to blow away your only
> production machine to install a evaluation operating system.
> 3.) There is no fail safe if you corrupt your evaluation operating
> system with the exception of reloading. With Virtual PC, you can totally
> screw up your virtual system and rebuild it virtually while your
> production machine remains unharmed.
>
> You are more than welcome to post further question concerning virtual pc
> here; however there is a newsgroup dedicated to the technology. It can
> be found at Microsoft.public.virtualpc
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Need help on MCP certification test"
> <(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Good day:
> >
> > The Virtual pc is interesting. Does it follow that a one can run XP
> > Professional as a Virtual O/S on a XP Home O/S? I didn't that question
> > addressed in the FAQs.
> > Secondly, at first glance it appears that the minimum requirements for the
> > Virtual pc are requirements that are in addition to the requirements
> > associated with the current O/S that is already running on the subject pc. Is
> > that a correct understanding?
> >
> > Finally, other than time, is there any advantage to using the XP 90 Day
> > Evaluation CD- the one that comes with the Press book, over using the Virtual
> > pc? Does anyone know of possible issues that could arise with the use of the
> > Virtual pc? Bill

Michael D. Alligood

Apologize I misread the question. I thought I saw Windows XP Home as the
quest on a Windows XP Professional.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,