Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Amazon for Press Books

Amazon for Press Books

Need help on MCP certification test

Good day:

FYI - one can purchase the Microsoft Press Books through Amazon.com and save
considerable money. Normally $15+ per book, plus there is a choice to have
the book sent without incurring any shipping cost.

Additionally, one can get a $30.00 credit on the first purchase if the
person applies for and qualifies for an Amazon Visa creit card, and then
charges the book purchase to the new card.

When it was all said and done, it cost me a total of about $3.50 for the
Press 70-272 Book, and that included the shipping. The shipping in this
example takes about 10 days; therefore, one should order in advance before
the book is needed. Bill

Keith Chilton

Thats where i get all my books.... i used that 30 dollar bonus a book i
never read though... Becoming java certified.... I bought some more java
books i never read too lol .. i know java but i decided i didnt want to know
know java and be a computer programmer after all. I majored in CS in
college. I dont care if the money is more for that field or not. I want to
do what makes me happy, not what places me in a cubby hole isolating lines
of buggy code all day long with strenous deadlines to keep. I like
programming, but dont think i want to do it on a full time basis.

"Need help on MCP certification test"
<(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good day:
>
> FYI - one can purchase the Microsoft Press Books through Amazon.com and
> save
> considerable money. Normally $15+ per book, plus there is a choice to have
> the book sent without incurring any shipping cost.
>
> Additionally, one can get a $30.00 credit on the first purchase if the
> person applies for and qualifies for an Amazon Visa creit card, and then
> charges the book purchase to the new card.
>
> When it was all said and done, it cost me a total of about $3.50 for the
> Press 70-272 Book, and that included the shipping. The shipping in this
> example takes about 10 days; therefore, one should order in advance before
> the book is needed. Bill

Need help on MCP certification test

Good day:

I know what you mean about buying a book and then not reading it. In order
to avoid making such a mistake I lean toward purchasing a video CD/course if
I want some knowledge but am uncertain about persuing a certification in the
subject.

I have purchased both CDs and streaming from CBT Nuggets and think the
company has quality presentations. I recommend getting on the email list and
then one will receive notice of the sales promotions. Purchasing at the sales
price allows one to build a library. Bill

my gI simply want to To get around that that ;

"Need help on MCP certification test" wrote:

> Good day:
>
> FYI - one can purchase the Microsoft Press Books through Amazon.com and save
> considerable money. Normally $15+ per book, plus there is a choice to have
> the book sent without incurring any shipping cost.
>
> Additionally, one can get a $30.00 credit on the first purchase if the
> person applies for and qualifies for an Amazon Visa creit card, and then
> charges the book purchase to the new card.
>
> When it was all said and done, it cost me a total of about $3.50 for the
> Press 70-272 Book, and that included the shipping. The shipping in this
> example takes about 10 days; therefore, one should order in advance before
> the book is needed. Bill

Michael D. Alligood

Bill, I subscribe to CBT Nugget as well. But I find it hard to follow
your logic. An average book costs between $30 to $60. Many CBT Nugget
video start at $99 and go over $1000 for suites of videos (MCSE). How do
you justify $99+ over $60? Just curious...

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Need help on MCP certification test"
<(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Good day:
>
> I know what you mean about buying a book and then not reading it. In order
> to avoid making such a mistake I lean toward purchasing a video CD/course if
> I want some knowledge but am uncertain about persuing a certification in the
> subject.
>
> I have purchased both CDs and streaming from CBT Nuggets and think the
> company has quality presentations. I recommend getting on the email list and
> then one will receive notice of the sales promotions. Purchasing at the sales
> price allows one to build a library. Bill
>

> my gI simply want to To get around that that ;
>

> "Need help on MCP certification test" wrote:
>
> > Good day:
> >
> > FYI - one can purchase the Microsoft Press Books through Amazon.com and save
> > considerable money. Normally $15+ per book, plus there is a choice to have
> > the book sent without incurring any shipping cost.
> >
> > Additionally, one can get a $30.00 credit on the first purchase if the
> > person applies for and qualifies for an Amazon Visa creit card, and then
> > charges the book purchase to the new card.
> >
> > When it was all said and done, it cost me a total of about $3.50 for the
> > Press 70-272 Book, and that included the shipping. The shipping in this
> > example takes about 10 days; therefore, one should order in advance before
> > the book is needed. Bill

Need help on MCP certification test

Good day:
Michael, my reference was to a case in which the book was purchased and then
not read. The CBT Nugget video provides an alternative means of studying the
subject information and engages the use of two senses, sight and hearing,
rather than the use of a single sense, that of sight alone which is in play
when reading.

Also, I mentioned to be alert for items on sale. Though rare, some sales
items can be purchsed for as low as $49.00 for streaming, which is
essetially the cost of a book and the permanent DVD can be purchased for an
additional $10.00 This approach allows for the building of a library, and the
DVD is readily available if the need to refresh the information arises.

Then again, if one decides to work for the certification in a paricular
subject the DVD is an excellent supplement even at the cost of $149.00 Compre
that cost to the cost of taking a 36 hour bootcamp, and the DVD can be
replayed over and over in order to increase one's level of understanding.
This all comes down to simply another approach.

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Bill, I subscribe to CBT Nugget as well. But I find it hard to follow
> your logic. An average book costs between $30 to $60. Many CBT Nugget
> video start at $99 and go over $1000 for suites of videos (MCSE). How do
> you justify $99+ over $60? Just curious...
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Need help on MCP certification test"
> <(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Good day:
> >
> > I know what you mean about buying a book and then not reading it. In order
> > to avoid making such a mistake I lean toward purchasing a video CD/course if
> > I want some knowledge but am uncertain about persuing a certification in the
> > subject.
> >
> > I have purchased both CDs and streaming from CBT Nuggets and think the
> > company has quality presentations. I recommend getting on the email list and
> > then one will receive notice of the sales promotions. Purchasing at the sales
> > price allows one to build a library. Bill
> >

> > my gI simply want to To get around that that ;
> >

> > "Need help on MCP certification test" wrote:
> >
> > > Good day:
> > >
> > > FYI - one can purchase the Microsoft Press Books through Amazon.com and save
> > > considerable money. Normally $15+ per book, plus there is a choice to have
> > > the book sent without incurring any shipping cost.
> > >
> > > Additionally, one can get a $30.00 credit on the first purchase if the
> > > person applies for and qualifies for an Amazon Visa creit card, and then
> > > charges the book purchase to the new card.
> > >
> > > When it was all said and done, it cost me a total of about $3.50 for the
> > > Press 70-272 Book, and that included the shipping. The shipping in this
> > > example takes about 10 days; therefore, one should order in advance before
> > > the book is needed. Bill

Keith Chilton

Too bad we couldnt download it and then have it printed at a local printing
depot or something and then slap a hard cover on it to carry it around ...
lol

--
Keith Chilton - MCDST,MCP
Data Services Technician

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
"Need help on MCP certification test"
<(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good day:
> Michael, my reference was to a case in which the book was purchased and
> then
> not read. The CBT Nugget video provides an alternative means of studying
> the
> subject information and engages the use of two senses, sight and hearing,
> rather than the use of a single sense, that of sight alone which is in
> play
> when reading.
>
> Also, I mentioned to be alert for items on sale. Though rare, some sales
> items can be purchsed for as low as $49.00 for streaming, which is
> essetially the cost of a book and the permanent DVD can be purchased for
> an
> additional $10.00 This approach allows for the building of a library, and
> the
> DVD is readily available if the need to refresh the information arises.
>
> Then again, if one decides to work for the certification in a paricular
> subject the DVD is an excellent supplement even at the cost of $149.00
> Compre
> that cost to the cost of taking a 36 hour bootcamp, and the DVD can be
> replayed over and over in order to increase one's level of understanding.
> This all comes down to simply another approach.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
>
>> Bill, I subscribe to CBT Nugget as well. But I find it hard to follow
>> your logic. An average book costs between $30 to $60. Many CBT Nugget
>> video start at $99 and go over $1000 for suites of videos (MCSE). How do
>> you justify $99+ over $60? Just curious...
>>
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood
>> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> CIW Certified Instructor
>>
>> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>>

>> "Need help on MCP certification test"
>> <(E-Mail Removed) oft.com> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Good day:
>> >
>> > I know what you mean about buying a book and then not reading it. In
>> > order
>> > to avoid making such a mistake I lean toward purchasing a video
>> > CD/course if
>> > I want some knowledge but am uncertain about persuing a certification
>> > in the
>> > subject.
>> >
>> > I have purchased both CDs and streaming from CBT Nuggets and think the
>> > company has quality presentations. I recommend getting on the email
>> > list and
>> > then one will receive notice of the sales promotions. Purchasing at the
>> > sales
>> > price allows one to build a library. Bill
>> >

>> > my gI simply want to To get around that that ;

Michael D. Alligood

I thought of selling off my CBT Nugget video I have already used; but
CBT Nugget does not allow such a practice.

Bill, you are correct in that many people study different ways. Being a
technical instructor, I teach every concept using the at least 3 of the
5 senses; lecture, videos/examples, and hands-on. Some students are
great with hearing and understand concepts, while others need to touch a
physical device of some type.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

news:(E-Mail Removed):

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> [...]
> > > when reading.
> > >
> > > Also, I mentioned to be alert for items on sale. Though rare, some sales
> > > items can be purchsed for as low as $49.00 for streaming, which is
> > > essetially the cost of a book and the permanent DVD can be purchased for
> > > an
> > > additional $10.00 This approach allows for the building of a library, and
> > > the
> > > DVD is readily available if the need to refresh the information arises.
> > >
> > > Then again, if one decides to work for the certification in a paricular
> > > subject the DVD is an excellent supplement even at the cost of $149.00
> > > Compre
> > > that cost to the cost of taking a 36 hour bootcamp, and the DVD can be
> > > replayed over and over in order to increase one's level of understanding.
> > > This all comes down to simply another approach.

Michael, my point was that the intellect will likely comprehend more fully
if the material is received through multiple senses. The learning experience
becomes reinforced. For example, sometimes one will walk into a room or
restaurant and smell an aroma, the sense of smell, that will remind them of
something that happened years ago, the same with hearing an old song.

When presented the information verbally the student could intially grasp the
concept; however, if the same information is also presented through the use
of video the information can be reinforced and it can be apprehended to a
greater degree as it is absorbed by the use of a second sense. In this case
both sight and hearing. It also works the way you advised, I'm simply making
a subtle difference.

These days I'm coming from a wide variety of backgrounds, in one of my prior
lives I did OSP, that is, outside plant engineering for the design and
construction of fiber optic builds, Metro Area Networks where the streets are
all torn up. The intracity and intercity backbones and the loops into
buildings in order to bring the fiber to the desktop. Now I'm studying what
happens once the fiber reaches the desktop and attached to a computer. My
point is this, I find sometimes that I like to create a drawing of the
different concepts, it is a simple drawing but I find that when I reach the
point where I can reduce the concept to a drawing, that I really understand
interworkings on multiple levels. The base drawing can then be expanded to
include multiple concepts as the information data base grows. It's just
another approach and it makes room for a little creativity. Bill