Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: upgrade path from 95 to xp

Re: upgrade path from 95 to xp

Michael D. Alligood

I would stick with Windows 95 over ME.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Keith Chilton wrote:
> > exactly like michael said
> >
> > You can upgrade to windows 98 and then you can upgrade to windows xp (whats
> > the point of this? you'll just run into problems eventually with this
> > method)
> >
> > Save yourself a headache and do a clean install of XP (if your hardware is
> > capable of course)

> Or... install Windows ME first!
>
> --
> Jonathan Roberts
> MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCP
>
> Information on MS VHD Images: http://tinyurl.com/y5bozl
> Great MS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/default.aspx
> Feedback on 70-431 Exam: http://www.jonathanroberts.eu/?p=6

Lnkwizard2

You know, I must have gotten stuck with a mislabeled copy
of ME. I received it preinstalled on a Dell PC and never had
any unusual problems (beyond the normal amount of
windows don't do that issues) with it and was always able to
recover gracefully from any issues that did arise. I used it
all through college and never lost a paper or a program that
I was writing the whole time I was there.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would stick with Windows 95 over ME.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Keith Chilton wrote:
>> > exactly like michael said
>> >
>> > You can upgrade to windows 98 and then you can upgrade to windows xp
>> > (whats
>> > the point of this? you'll just run into problems eventually with this
>> > method)
>> >
>> > Save yourself a headache and do a clean install of XP (if your hardware
>> > is
>> > capable of course)

>> Or... install Windows ME first!
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Roberts
>> MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCP
>>
>> Information on MS VHD Images: http://tinyurl.com/y5bozl
>> Great MS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/default.aspx
>> Feedback on 70-431 Exam: http://www.jonathanroberts.eu/?p=6

Keith Chilton

my parents had ME forever and just got rid of it a couple weeks ago.. i
hated it

what i hated most was it's problems with reading the file sizes of
objects...it seemed to have trouble with that a lot. On flash drives you
could put it into the computer and it would say 500mb ... go take it to a
comp with xp and delete all the files off of it... take it back to ME it
still says 500mb even though there is nothing on it... lol it would spot you
500 MB from then on... lol

so many probs with that OS but that was my most hated one

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would stick with Windows 95 over ME.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Keith Chilton wrote:
>> > exactly like michael said
>> >
>> > You can upgrade to windows 98 and then you can upgrade to windows xp
>> > (whats
>> > the point of this? you'll just run into problems eventually with this
>> > method)
>> >
>> > Save yourself a headache and do a clean install of XP (if your hardware
>> > is
>> > capable of course)

>> Or... install Windows ME first!
>>
>> --
>> Jonathan Roberts
>> MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCP
>>
>> Information on MS VHD Images: http://tinyurl.com/y5bozl
>> Great MS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/default.aspx
>> Feedback on 70-431 Exam: http://www.jonathanroberts.eu/?p=6

Michael D. Alligood

Regardless of its problems, there is no reason anyone should be using
any machine (especially a production machine) lower than Windows 2000
Professional. And I cringe a little when I see that. Here is the point:
No Microsoft operating system past Windows XP can hold a candle to
Windows XP or Vista. For that matter, Vista's biggest competitor is not
Mac. It is not Linux. It is Windows XP.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> my parents had ME forever and just got rid of it a couple weeks ago.. i
> hated it
>
> what i hated most was it's problems with reading the file sizes of
> objects...it seemed to have trouble with that a lot. On flash drives you
> could put it into the computer and it would say 500mb ... go take it to a
> comp with xp and delete all the files off of it... take it back to ME it
> still says 500mb even though there is nothing on it... lol it would spot you
> 500 MB from then on... lol
>
> so many probs with that OS but that was my most hated one
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I would stick with Windows 95 over ME.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> Or... install Windows ME first!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jonathan Roberts
> >> MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCP
> >>
> >> Information on MS VHD Images: http://tinyurl.com/y5bozl
> >> Great MS Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/default.aspx
> >> Feedback on 70-431 Exam: http://www.jonathanroberts.eu/?p=6

Keith Chilton

interesting

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Regardless of its problems, there is no reason anyone should be using any
> machine (especially a production machine) lower than Windows 2000
> Professional. And I cringe a little when I see that. Here is the point: No
> Microsoft operating system past Windows XP can hold a candle to Windows XP
> or Vista. For that matter, Vista's biggest competitor is not Mac. It is
> not Linux. It is Windows XP.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> my parents had ME forever and just got rid of it a couple weeks ago.. i
>> hated it
>>
>> what i hated most was it's problems with reading the file sizes of
>> objects...it seemed to have trouble with that a lot. On flash drives you
>> could put it into the computer and it would say 500mb ... go take it to a
>> comp with xp and delete all the files off of it... take it back to ME it
>> still says 500mb even though there is nothing on it... lol it would spot
>> you
>> 500 MB from then on... lol
>>
>> so many probs with that OS but that was my most hated one
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I would stick with Windows 95 over ME.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >
>> > http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>> >

>> > "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Keith Chilton

Windows 2000 is a good operating system I like it for the most part but I of
course like XP much better. The thing i like the most about 2000 is it's
stability. I do not get many calls from Windows 2000 users where I work.
Believe it or not we still have windows 98 stations here and there so I
still have to support those. They are slowly going into the closet though
haha

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Regardless of its problems, there is no reason anyone should be using any
> machine (especially a production machine) lower than Windows 2000
> Professional. And I cringe a little when I see that. Here is the point: No
> Microsoft operating system past Windows XP can hold a candle to Windows XP
> or Vista. For that matter, Vista's biggest competitor is not Mac. It is
> not Linux. It is Windows XP.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> my parents had ME forever and just got rid of it a couple weeks ago.. i
>> hated it
>>
>> what i hated most was it's problems with reading the file sizes of
>> objects...it seemed to have trouble with that a lot. On flash drives you
>> could put it into the computer and it would say 500mb ... go take it to a
>> comp with xp and delete all the files off of it... take it back to ME it
>> still says 500mb even though there is nothing on it... lol it would spot
>> you
>> 500 MB from then on... lol
>>
>> so many probs with that OS but that was my most hated one
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I would stick with Windows 95 over ME.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >
>> > http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>> >

>> > "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Michael D. Alligood

The probable reason why it is stable is due to the fact that it has four
full service packs and one rollup update package. I mean really if you
cannot get a stable operating system after essentially five upgrades, it
is time to cut bait.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Windows 2000 is a good operating system I like it for the most part but I of
> course like XP much better. The thing i like the most about 2000 is it's
> stability. I do not get many calls from Windows 2000 users where I work.
> Believe it or not we still have windows 98 stations here and there so I
> still have to support those. They are slowly going into the closet though
> haha
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Regardless of its problems, there is no reason anyone should be using any
> > machine (especially a production machine) lower than Windows 2000
> > Professional. And I cringe a little when I see that. Here is the point: No
> > Microsoft operating system past Windows XP can hold a candle to Windows XP
> > or Vista. For that matter, Vista's biggest competitor is not Mac. It is
> > not Linux. It is Windows XP.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> my parents had ME forever and just got rid of it a couple weeks ago.. i
> >> hated it
> >>
> >> what i hated most was it's problems with reading the file sizes of
> >> objects...it seemed to have trouble with that a lot. On flash drives you
> >> could put it into the computer and it would say 500mb ... go take it to a
> >> comp with xp and delete all the files off of it... take it back to ME it
> >> still says 500mb even though there is nothing on it... lol it would spot
> >> you
> >> 500 MB from then on... lol
> >>
> >> so many probs with that OS but that was my most hated one
> >>
> >> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

thats a good point too