Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > I think i need some help from you guys on this one....

I think i need some help from you guys on this one....

Michael D. Alligood

Double check your settings for DNS in your DHCP scope. When you
statically configure the machines and they work, what DNS address are
you using? When you dynamically assign them their IP address, perform a
ipconfig /all on one of the machines and take note of the DNS servers
listed.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I believe it points to the DNS Server PC itself Michael! The DNS Server has
> 3 DNS Servers set up in it's Forwarders section.....
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What DNS addresses do you have configured in your DHCP scope?
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Any ideas on what the problem is? Why is having DHCP configuration on
> >> this
> >> PC causing problems for this one website? When it's statically set it's
> >> fine....
> >> I tried 3 different DNS servers for statically setting it. The PC goes
> >> off
> >> of a DHCP and DNS Server on a Windows 2000 Server PC.
> >>
> >> help!
> >>

> >> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

For the static configuration i use the DNS Servers our ISP gave us... for
the DHCP configuration it points to our DNS server on the win 2k server like
it should... I am still at a complete loss why this is happening!

--
Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
River Valley Financial Bank
430 Clifty Drive
Madison, IN 47250

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Double check your settings for DNS in your DHCP scope. When you statically
> configure the machines and they work, what DNS address are you using? When
> you dynamically assign them their IP address, perform a ipconfig /all on
> one of the machines and take note of the DNS servers listed.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I believe it points to the DNS Server PC itself Michael! The DNS Server
>> has
>> 3 DNS Servers set up in it's Forwarders section.....
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > What DNS addresses do you have configured in your DHCP scope?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >
>> > http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>> >

>> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

Keith Chilton

This did not help me either Jeff. ugh What on earth is going on

--
Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
River Valley Financial Bank
430 Clifty Drive
Madison, IN 47250

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check DHCP and make sure you have the right DNS servers listed, Renew the
> lease and /flushdns resolver cache. You will get it worked out. You have
> made progress already.
>

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff - I did try that but I'll try it again!
>>
>> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On a client, try ipconfig /flushdns
>>>
>>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jeff

So, let me get this straight.
Your DHCP server sends out the correct IP address for your internal Win2K
DNS server.
You DNS server is set to forward to your ISP's DNS.
There are 3 DNS entries for the forwarding.

Ok, Write the forwarding addresses down and remove all but one forwarder.
Then try them one at a time.
Also, when you are accessing the pdf files, is the link to a different
domain than the home page that you first login to? Maybe you are missing
something in the cache. Have you thought about exporting Cached Names and
Clearing all of the cached names on the DNS server?

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> For the static configuration i use the DNS Servers our ISP gave us... for
> the DHCP configuration it points to our DNS server on the win 2k server
> like it should... I am still at a complete loss why this is happening!
>
> --
> Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
> River Valley Financial Bank
> 430 Clifty Drive
> Madison, IN 47250
>
> Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>
> ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality Footer****
>
> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
> you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
> message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and
> notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to
> Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any
> opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and
> conditions in any applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Double check your settings for DNS in your DHCP scope. When you
>> statically configure the machines and they work, what DNS address are you
>> using? When you dynamically assign them their IP address, perform a
>> ipconfig /all on one of the machines and take note of the DNS servers
>> listed.
>>
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood
>> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> CIW Certified Instructor
>>
>> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>>

>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I believe it points to the DNS Server PC itself Michael! The DNS Server
>>> has
>>> 3 DNS Servers set up in it's Forwarders section.....
>>>
>>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

I tried having one dns server ip address in the forwarders list and that
didnt seem to help either.

No i havent thought about clearing the cache out of our server. i looked at
exporting it and it saved a text file with just the names of the websites
and no ip address or anything else.... looked like it didnt export all
information it needed to. I've never cleared the cache out of it so i'm
going into unchartered territory.

The link before i click the PDF file is like
http://www.jamesbaker.com/myportfolio.aspx
The link after i click it (without error) is like
http://www2.gobaker.com/cgi-bin/down...jamesbaker/www
(there is more on the address line after this)

--
> [...]

>> opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and
>> conditions in any applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
>>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Double check your settings for DNS in your DHCP scope. When you
>>> statically configure the machines and they work, what DNS address are
>>> you using? When you dynamically assign them their IP address, perform a
>>> ipconfig /all on one of the machines and take note of the DNS servers
>>> listed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael D. Alligood
>>> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>>> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>>> CIW Certified Instructor
>>>
>>> http://yetanotherblog.typepad.com/theclassroom
>>>

>>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

The cache will rebuild over time. It's exactly what it sounds like.. It's a
cache of all of the names that your DNS server has requested from your ISP.
It will not hurt anything to clear it. Honestly, I have never ever saved the
cache before clearing it.

> [...]
>>> 430 Clifty Drive
>>> Madison, IN 47250
>>>
>>> Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>>>
>>> ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality
>>> Footer****
>>>
>>> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
>>> you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
>>> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver
>>> this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message,
>>> and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to
>>> Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any
>>> opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and
>>> conditions in any applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
>>>
>>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

LOL

I went on the DNS server and deleted the file WWW2 under the GoBaker entry
inside Cached Lookups... and voila it works with DHCP again... I deleted the
JamesBaker entries yesterday and that didnt help... but after reading jeff's
post and looking at the links and where they pointed (the pdf files were on
gobaker.com while the jamesbaker.com is the main site) i went to that
GoBaker entry and found that www2 entry and deleted it's sorry existence. i
left that other www entry alone...

Thanks Jeff ! I can move on with my life. Exciting! LOL

--
> [...]

>>> 430 Clifty Drive
>>> Madison, IN 47250
>>>
>>> Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>>>
>>> ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality
>>> Footer****
>>>
>>> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
>>> you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
>>> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver
>>> this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message,
>>> and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to
>>> Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any
>>> opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and
>>> conditions in any applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
>>>
>>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

awesome! It was a great diversion.
I guess I need to get back to the books. LOL

> [...]
>> conditions in any applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
>>
>> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> So, let me get this straight.
>>> Your DHCP server sends out the correct IP address for your internal
>>> Win2K DNS server.
>>> You DNS server is set to forward to your ISP's DNS.
>>> There are 3 DNS entries for the forwarding.
>>>
>>> Ok, Write the forwarding addresses down and remove all but one
>>> forwarder. Then try them one at a time.
>>> Also, when you are accessing the pdf files, is the link to a different
>>> domain than the home page that you first login to? Maybe you are missing
>>> something in the cache. Have you thought about exporting Cached Names
>>> and Clearing all of the cached names on the DNS server?
>>>
>>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

i'll be studying those books soon enough for the mcsa... i'm sure i'll have
to learn about dns server and dhcp server much more very soon... guess it
was time for the pre-read exam though LOL

--
> [...]

>>> River Valley Financial Bank
>>> 430 Clifty Drive
>>> Madison, IN 47250
>>>
>>> Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>>>
>>> ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality
>>> Footer****
>>>
>>> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
>>> you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
>>> delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver
>>> this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message,
>>> and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to
>>> Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any
>>> opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and
>>> conditions in any applicable client engagement letter or agreement.
>>>
>>> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

If you think you must modify the hash, think again David Mark Javascript 17 03-23-2010 08:08 PM
if you guys go non-hybrid blu-ray or hd-dvd.... you guys may be looking at laserdisc/sacd type sales. Doc Martian DVD Video 2 03-23-2006 06:01 PM
I think you guys converted me... John Salerno HTML 11 02-06-2006 04:52 PM
what do you guys think.. Darren MCSE 4 04-06-2005 02:28 AM
What do you guys think of this DVD/VHS player? ZForce DVD Video 5 12-04-2004 06:03 PM

Advertisments