Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Transcender vs Measure Up

Transcender vs Measure Up

Marc

Hello guys!

I am currently studying for the 70-272 exam and wanted your opinion on which
of the above you feel more accurately reflects the difficulty of the exam.

I find Transcender MUCH easier than the Measure Up tests supplied with the
book. I am getting around 60% in the Measure Up tests and about 80% in the
Transcender, which is quite a significant difference.

Measure Up tends to cover a lot more stuff not in the book.

I wanted to know mainly to guage my progress and give me a better idea of
what I need to be looking more closely at.

Ramon De Bruijn

I use MeasureUP, LearnKey CBT and CBTNuggets, the MSPress book
questions/Labs and ExamCram2 questions. You can even do an online
assessment. The more questions the better. Build a bank of questions and
study them. The more you learn the greater the chance you pass. Knowledge is
Power, the Power to Pass!

Ramon

"Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello guys!
>
> I am currently studying for the 70-272 exam and wanted your opinion on
> which of the above you feel more accurately reflects the difficulty of the
> exam.
>
> I find Transcender MUCH easier than the Measure Up tests supplied with the
> book. I am getting around 60% in the Measure Up tests and about 80% in
> the Transcender, which is quite a significant difference.
>
> Measure Up tends to cover a lot more stuff not in the book.
>
> I wanted to know mainly to guage my progress and give me a better idea of
> what I need to be looking more closely at.

Michael D. Alligood

Very true. However, to give my opinion on the subject:

I rarely use practice test anymore. During my time of studying for an
exam using practice tests, I became disappointed with incorrect answers
and questions that were beyond the scope of the objectives of the exam I
was studying for. Now if I use a practice test, I use it strictly to
condition my mind and body to sit and actually take the exam. Sometimes
I am in and out of an exam in 45 minutes. Other exam require the entire
time. You see, I have an issue with sitting there for the allotted
amount of time and answering question after question after question. The
practice tests condition my nerves to take the punishment so to speak. I
even stopped looking at the score when finished with practice exams.
They just do not matter to me. I am not studying to pass the practice
exams, I am studying to take the actual exam. Just because you fail a
practice exam does not necessarily mean you are going to fail the actual
exam. Think about this. When you take a practice exam, you are in YOUR
surroundings; so you are sort of comfortable. Perhaps too comfortable???
Meaning lackadaisical... The thing about an exam that makes you step up
and concentrate is that you do not want to fail. So while sitting the
actual exam you will be more aware. I have taken practice exams at home
and work in the past only to have the kids running around, phone
ringing, the wife wanting to go somewhere, etc... Yeah, that is
concentrating.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Ramon De Bruijn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I use MeasureUP, LearnKey CBT and CBTNuggets, the MSPress book
> questions/Labs and ExamCram2 questions. You can even do an online
> assessment. The more questions the better. Build a bank of questions and
> study them. The more you learn the greater the chance you pass. Knowledge is
> Power, the Power to Pass!
>
> Ramon
>

> "Marc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello guys!
> >
> > I am currently studying for the 70-272 exam and wanted your opinion on
> > which of the above you feel more accurately reflects the difficulty of the
> > exam.
> >
> > I find Transcender MUCH easier than the Measure Up tests supplied with the
> > book. I am getting around 60% in the Measure Up tests and about 80% in
> > the Transcender, which is quite a significant difference.
> >
> > Measure Up tends to cover a lot more stuff not in the book.
> >
> > I wanted to know mainly to guage my progress and give me a better idea of
> > what I need to be looking more closely at.

Ramon De Bruijn

Thats it Mr Alligood. I use the MSPress Book, trying to skim my finger over
the answer, when my eye catches the letters before anything. It's more like,
I want to know, I don't want!..*Doh! to know the answer for allsorts of
reasons. Now I was thinking, why bother getting the practice test all
correct, all of the time, like Mr Alligood says, the real exam counts and
conditioning the psych to get down to reading the questions properly, helps
us on the day to be aware of good exam reading habits. If you have been a
good tech and have knuckled in the right books/labs/material, then go over
as many exam questions as you can. This is more power than reading the
'boring' MSPress book as some of you have said.

The fact that you end up reading the answers before reading the question,
doesn't really count. What counts is the correct answer and that you
understand it. If you are really paranoid, then use a ruler/book marker and
slide it over the page before you know it.

I am running over the MeasureUP questions I bought online. The 175 questions
are really good and I can say a good majority of them I could see coming up
in the exam, if not already have.

In another light, I also want to think that we CAN read customer problems
correctly and diagnose the problems correctly. I used to skim over the
questions on the real exam, missing valuable clues to the answers; now that
hurts! 618! But I see failing as a huge learning experience for this MCP
exam. I suppose, the men and woman soldiers who reached Normandy (France) in
1945, didn't have the time to practice that excercise, so I count myself
lucky to know that I have a second chance and whatever mistakes I make, that
I can learn from them and correct them.

Ramon

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Very good, and very true follow up.