Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Back up issue

Reply
Thread Tools

Back up issue

 
 
Reid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
I downloaded some pictures of my son on the day he was born. I backed them up
to another hard drive in my computer. When I restarted my computer I had a
screen pop up that say the file names of the pictures I had backed up had
been changed as they were illegal. It happened so quick I couldn't see what
the names and extensions were changed to. All but 3 of the pictures have
disappeared. I've done every kind of search I can think of. Can some one
help me out please?

Thank you,

Reid

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lnkwizard2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007


"Reid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded some pictures of my son on the day he was born. I backed them
>up
> to another hard drive in my computer. When I restarted my computer I had
> a
> screen pop up that say the file names of the pictures I had backed up had
> been changed as they were illegal. It happened so quick I couldn't see
> what
> the names and extensions were changed to. All but 3 of the pictures have
> disappeared. I've done every kind of search I can think of. Can some one
> help me out please?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Reid
>

Use windows explorer NOT My Computer

Search "All files and folders"

Use the wildcards *.* for the file name

select "when was it modified" and either
pick a time frame (such as last week, last month,,,,,)
or if you remember the specific dates use that time frame choice
and run a search.

This will result in a list of all files modified within that time frame and
should include the picture files that had their file name modified.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AJR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Sometimes when image file names are changed by accident the extension
(*.jpg, *bmp, *;gif, etc.) is also changed which defeats the file
association necessary to "open" the image. Usually a warning pops up
regarding the change.

This may have occurred during backup to the HD.

Follow Lnkwizard2's advice - if you do locate the files - check the
extension.


"Reid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I downloaded some pictures of my son on the day he was born. I backed them
>up
> to another hard drive in my computer. When I restarted my computer I had
> a
> screen pop up that say the file names of the pictures I had backed up had
> been changed as they were illegal. It happened so quick I couldn't see
> what
> the names and extensions were changed to. All but 3 of the pictures have
> disappeared. I've done every kind of search I can think of. Can some one
> help me out please?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Reid
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Reid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Thanks for the help guys. I will give it a shot.
Reid

"AJR" wrote:

> Sometimes when image file names are changed by accident the extension
> (*.jpg, *bmp, *;gif, etc.) is also changed which defeats the file
> association necessary to "open" the image. Usually a warning pops up
> regarding the change.
>
> This may have occurred during backup to the HD.
>
> Follow Lnkwizard2's advice - if you do locate the files - check the
> extension.
>
>
> "Reid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I downloaded some pictures of my son on the day he was born. I backed them
> >up
> > to another hard drive in my computer. When I restarted my computer I had
> > a
> > screen pop up that say the file names of the pictures I had backed up had
> > been changed as they were illegal. It happened so quick I couldn't see
> > what
> > the names and extensions were changed to. All but 3 of the pictures have
> > disappeared. I've done every kind of search I can think of. Can some one
> > help me out please?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Reid
> >

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Reid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007


"Reid" wrote:

> Thanks for the help guys. I will give it a shot.
> Reid
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
> > Sometimes when image file names are changed by accident the extension
> > (*.jpg, *bmp, *;gif, etc.) is also changed which defeats the file
> > association necessary to "open" the image. Usually a warning pops up
> > regarding the change.
> >
> > This may have occurred during backup to the HD.
> >
> > Follow Lnkwizard2's advice - if you do locate the files - check the
> > extension.
> >
> >
> > "Reid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I downloaded some pictures of my son on the day he was born. I backed them
> > >up
> > > to another hard drive in my computer. When I restarted my computer I had
> > > a
> > > screen pop up that say the file names of the pictures I had backed up had
> > > been changed as they were illegal. It happened so quick I couldn't see
> > > what
> > > the names and extensions were changed to. All but 3 of the pictures have
> > > disappeared. I've done every kind of search I can think of. Can some one
> > > help me out please?
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Reid
> > >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >
> > I tried to do a search from the above mentioned posts but it didn't work. I think I just might have to give microsoft a call.


Reid
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
TurkReno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UmVpZA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>
>
> "Reid" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help guys. I will give it a shot.
>> Reid
>>
>> "AJR" wrote:
>>
>> > Sometimes when image file names are changed by accident the
>> > extension (*.jpg, *bmp, *;gif, etc.) is also changed which defeats
>> > the file association necessary to "open" the image. Usually a
>> > warning pops up regarding the change.
>> >
>> > This may have occurred during backup to the HD.
>> >
>> > Follow Lnkwizard2's advice - if you do locate the files - check
>> > the extension.
>> >
>> >
>> > "Reid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > >I downloaded some pictures of my son on the day he was born. I
>> > >backed them up
>> > > to another hard drive in my computer. When I restarted my
>> > > computer I had a
>> > > screen pop up that say the file names of the pictures I had
>> > > backed up had been changed as they were illegal. It happened so
>> > > quick I couldn't see what
>> > > the names and extensions were changed to. All but 3 of the
>> > > pictures have disappeared. I've done every kind of search I can
>> > > think of. Can some one help me out please?
>> > >
>> > > Thank you,
>> > >
>> > > Reid
>> >

>-------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > >-------------------
>> >
>> > I tried to do a search from the above mentioned posts but it didn't
>> > work. I think I just might have to give microsoft a call.

>
> Reid
>> >

>


I'd give it another shot. Date Modified, then go find it from there.
You may find some odd looking files, but you can also see the creation
date to verify before you start changing all of the extensions. Best
thing for you to do is make an image onto the second hard-drive of where
you put the files and then change all of the extensions. TotalCommander
(Thanks BD) also is a decent program to hunt things down with aside from
Windows Explorer.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50
www.mcngp.com > all
MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
belief.
www.turkreno.com/forum/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Cisco switch connected back to back ping issue Jaseela Cisco 0 01-20-2010 05:43 AM
back to back cable sbab Cisco 2 10-21-2003 01:09 AM
Configuring VPN through Cisco PIX and ISA Server in Back-to-back scenario Dejan Gambin Cisco 0 10-16-2003 01:53 PM
back-to-back with ISDN Fiber Optic Cisco 8 07-25-2003 07:33 AM
Cisco 2610 back to back serial connection problem - please help pandula Cisco 1 07-10-2003 01:21 PM



Advertisments