Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Software Restriction Policies

Software Restriction Policies

Keith Chilton

The software restriction policies are not very useful for me personally. I
want to be able to make certain programs have "administrative" rights and
keep the user down at the "User" status instead of making them a "power
user" or "administrator" to get those "administrative" rights just for the
sole purpose of running one program they need. Any ideas on this???? From
what I've read on the Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt cover
it too well. But from what I hear in Vista they have made this easier!!!
woohoo!

--
Keith Chilton, MCP
Data Services Technician

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
representative independent of this message.

Keith Chilton

Michael

Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?

Keith

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The software restriction policies are not very useful for me personally. I
> want to be able to make certain programs have "administrative" rights and
> keep the user down at the "User" status instead of making them a "power
> user" or "administrator" to get those "administrative" rights just for the
> sole purpose of running one program they need. Any ideas on this???? From
> what I've read on the Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt
> cover it too well. But from what I hear in Vista they have made this
> easier!!! woohoo!
>

> --
> Keith Chilton, MCP
> Data Services Technician
> River Valley Financial Bank
> 430 Clifty Drive
> Madison, IN 47250
> 812-273-4949 ext 348
> Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>
> ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality Footer****
> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
> you
> are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
> delivery
> of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message
> anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us
> immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email
> messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
> and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed
> by
> my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
> representative independent of this message.

TurkReno

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Michael
>
> Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?
>
> Keith
>

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The software restriction policies are not very useful for me
>> personally. I want to be able to make certain programs have
>> "administrative" rights and keep the user down at the "User" status
>> instead of making them a "power user" or "administrator" to get those
>> "administrative" rights just for the sole purpose of running one
>> program they need. Any ideas on this???? From what I've read on the
>> Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt cover it too well.
>> But from what I hear in Vista they have made this easier!!! woohoo!

One word to solve your problem: Groups. Make a group policy that
restricts their access, but test it in a test environment before you
implement it, of course.

Vista....ehh....that's Vista. I failed to see the "Wow" until I hooked
up my XBox 360 to my network. It is nice, and the settings to control a
user are nicer, but again I'm going to be cliche and tell you to wait a
few months even though I'm running Vista Business.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50

Keith Chilton

where can i individualize the programs turkreno in group policy? i can't
find anything other than software restriction policies and that isn't going
to work ( i dont think)

"TurkReno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Michael
>>
>> Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?
>>
>> Keith
>>

>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The software restriction policies are not very useful for me
>>> personally. I want to be able to make certain programs have
>>> "administrative" rights and keep the user down at the "User" status
>>> instead of making them a "power user" or "administrator" to get those
>>> "administrative" rights just for the sole purpose of running one
>>> program they need. Any ideas on this???? From what I've read on the
>>> Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt cover it too well.
>>> But from what I hear in Vista they have made this easier!!! woohoo!

> One word to solve your problem: Groups. Make a group policy that
> restricts their access, but test it in a test environment before you
> implement it, of course.
>
> Vista....ehh....that's Vista. I failed to see the "Wow" until I hooked
> up my XBox 360 to my network. It is nice, and the settings to control a
> user are nicer, but again I'm going to be cliche and tell you to wait a
> few months even though I'm running Vista Business.
>
> --
> Lasher
> MCNGP #50
> www.mcngp.com > all
> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
> belief.
> www.turkreno.com/forum/

Michael D. Alligood

Are you asking if there is a way to give users "administrative rights"
for programs they need to run? What programs are you trying to run that
require administrative rights?

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Michael
>
> Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?
>
> Keith
>

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The software restriction policies are not very useful for me personally. I
> > want to be able to make certain programs have "administrative" rights and
> > keep the user down at the "User" status instead of making them a "power
> > user" or "administrator" to get those "administrative" rights just for the
> > sole purpose of running one program they need. Any ideas on this???? From
> > what I've read on the Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt
> > cover it too well. But from what I hear in Vista they have made this
> > easier!!! woohoo!
> >

> > --
> > Keith Chilton, MCP
> > Data Services Technician
> > River Valley Financial Bank
> > 430 Clifty Drive
> > Madison, IN 47250
> > 812-273-4949 ext 348
> > Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
> >
> > ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality Footer****
> > Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If
> > you
> > are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
> > delivery
> > of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message
> > anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us
> > immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email
> > messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
> > and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed
> > by
> > my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
> > representative independent of this message.

Keith Chilton

Yes that's what i'm wanting. Just specific programs to have all out
administrative access when they are run for a person with a "User" account.
Not "power user". I think power users have too much leeway security-wise.
I cant even remember the programs names. They are for specific departments
where I work. One is for our loan department and one if for our wealth
management. They just won't run without administrative rights.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you asking if there is a way to give users "administrative rights" for
> programs they need to run? What programs are you trying to run that
> require administrative rights?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Michael
>>
>> Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?
>>
>> Keith
>>

>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > The software restriction policies are not very useful for me
>> > personally. I
>> > want to be able to make certain programs have "administrative" rights
>> > and
>> > keep the user down at the "User" status instead of making them a "power
>> > user" or "administrator" to get those "administrative" rights just for
>> > the
>> > sole purpose of running one program they need. Any ideas on this????
>> > From
>> > what I've read on the Internet about it so far today, Microsoft didnt
>> > cover it too well. But from what I hear in Vista they have made this
>> > easier!!! woohoo!
>> >

>> > --
>> > Keith Chilton, MCP
>> > Data Services Technician
>> > River Valley Financial Bank
>> > 430 Clifty Drive
>> > Madison, IN 47250
>> > 812-273-4949 ext 348
>> > Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730
>> >
>> > ****River Valley Financial Bank, Internet Email Confidentiality
>> > Footer****
>> > Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.
>> > If
>> > you
>> > are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
>> > delivery
>> > of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this
>> > message
>> > anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us
>> > immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet email
>> > messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions,
>> > conclusions
>> > and other information expressed in this message are not given or
>> > endorsed
>> > by
>> > my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
>> > representative independent of this message.

Michael D. Alligood

Unfortunately this is caused by poorly designed programs. There are 2
options that have helped me in the past regarding this. 1.) Contact the
manufacture to see if there is a patch, 2.) Sometimes these programs can
be modified in the registry to work without administrative rights. The
issue with the latter is that you have to know the program, what to
modify, or contact the software manufacture tech support for assistance.

Start with the manufacture. Explain you dilemma and see what their fix
is. More ammo to upgrade to Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> Yes that's what i'm wanting. Just specific programs to have all out
> administrative access when they are run for a person with a "User" account.
> Not "power user". I think power users have too much leeway security-wise.
> I cant even remember the programs names. They are for specific departments
> where I work. One is for our loan department and one if for our wealth
> management. They just won't run without administrative rights.
>
> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Are you asking if there is a way to give users "administrative rights" for
> > programs they need to run? What programs are you trying to run that
> > require administrative rights?
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

> > "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> Hey do you have any ideas how to do this?
> >>
> >> Keith
> >>

> >> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...

Keith Chilton

Thanks michael. UAC will be a nice feature of Vista i'm looking forward to.
Great link btw! I appreciate the assistance. Probably not much I can do
except what you said (contacting the software manufacturer)

--
Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
River Valley Financial Bank
430 Clifty Drive
Madison, IN 47250

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.