Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Is there way to reslove this ?

Is there way to reslove this ?

Keith Chilton

Can you give me a good learning link for imaging Dave? I need to learn more
about it. I have never even done it before.

"Scuba_Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Vincent Leung" wrote:
>
>> Hi to all
>>
>> My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
>> display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
>> error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I
>> did
>> some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
>> 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it
>> yet.
>>
>> I even tried the following methods "
>>
>> Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and
>> reboot
>> the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
>> Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
>> Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

> We aren't even supposed to troubelshoot issues at work any more
> If there is a problem, the PC is re-imaged
> We don't back up the users data, they are not supposed to keep anything on
> the local PC. They are supposed to save to the network. Anything on the
> local
> PC is the responsibility of the user to back up
> We swap in an imaged drive & save the other drive for 2 weeks
> After that the old drive is re-imaged
>
> We still have Windows 95 PC's at work, but do not have any that login to
> the
> network. The last WIN95 PC logging in was recently replaced
> We still have Windows 98 PC's on the network, until recently the number
> was
> over 200 (out fo 3400). There are certain applications that will only run
> on
> WIndows 98
> They will not buy the new software - $4k for a floppy
> "If it aint' broke - don't fix it"
> And 90% of the XP installations are still running SP1
> 90% are still using Office 2000, certain apps only work with Word 2000
>
> There are NO plans to even consider Vista or Office 2007
> We are just starting to rollout SP2 & Office 2003 on the newest image!!

Scuba_Dave

"Jonathan Roberts" wrote:

> Keith Chilton wrote:
> > Can you give me a good learning link for imaging Dave? I need to learn more
> > about it. I have never even done it before.

> Get a trial of Ghost. It is pretty intuitive.

Imaging is pretty straight forward, but our Desktop Engineering Dept creates
the images

Basically you have a PC that you "take" the image from
There are tools you need to use - sysprep, plus others to prepare the system
I haven't kept up with the details

Our involvement: on the ghost server we start a session & select the image
to use
On the PC we boot from a CD & it connects to the server & downloads the image
You then boot the PC & it finalizes installation
Sorry I can't be more help
But a trial version should be easy to use as stated
Just a note, if you are doing this at work - imaging can create a a massive
amount of traffic. We do all of our imaging in a lab - not across the network

Keith Chilton

i see.. it is one of those topics i need to know the basics about and learn
off the internet .. just like dynamic disks.. something i've never actually
done but need to know for this test more than likely

"Scuba_Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jonathan Roberts" wrote:
>
>> Keith Chilton wrote:
>> > Can you give me a good learning link for imaging Dave? I need to learn
>> > more
>> > about it. I have never even done it before.

>> Get a trial of Ghost. It is pretty intuitive.
>>

> Imaging is pretty straight forward, but our Desktop Engineering Dept
> creates
> the images
>
> Basically you have a PC that you "take" the image from
> There are tools you need to use - sysprep, plus others to prepare the
> system
> I haven't kept up with the details
>
> Our involvement: on the ghost server we start a session & select the image
> to use
> On the PC we boot from a CD & it connects to the server & downloads the
> image
> You then boot the PC & it finalizes installation
> Sorry I can't be more help
> But a trial version should be easy to use as stated
> Just a note, if you are doing this at work - imaging can create a a
> massive
> amount of traffic. We do all of our imaging in a lab - not across the
> network

Frank Shannon

It's a pretty basic thing overall. When you image a PC once, you've got it
down pat then. It's simple.

Setting up the server and getting the PCs to connect to that server might be
a different story. Probably not too difficult...I believe I'll be finding
that out here myself soon. Ever since I started at this job (back in
December), I've been doingabout 95% of the imaging. Now they want to put me
in charge of the Ghost server.

At my current job, we use Ghost to image PCs. And I've done it so many
times I can practically walk through the process blindfolded. LOL. At my
previous job, we used DriveImage at first, then switched to Ghost. The
transition was painless. In fact, I think it went rather smoothly and there
really wasn't much of a learning curve to deal with...it actually seemed
easier to use than DriveImage (and that wasn't too difficult either).

Mark

Hi Scuba_dave

sorry to hear your predicament with work, i would hate a DST job that never
seems to fix anything just re-image, doesn't test your skills any i would
imagine, unless your into imaging....

your 2003 problem, it sounds like the core template is corrupt in some way,
you could try copying the template from a good machine and overwriting the
original, alot of tempramental problems i've found can be fixed with 2003 by
removing office completely and deleting the office folder in program files
(the frontpage one won't go until you reboot, doesn't matter if you leave it
anyway) reboot, install the full installation and change the install path to
something different than either the default or what the original path was -
with a different path, the registry seems to forget the old problems.... not
the best way of fixing something i agree, as you haven't really fixed it,
but when its a matter of either 3hrs researching it or 30mins reinstalling,
it pays to reinstall sometimes.

i've alway found a detect and repair useless, i have fixed one PC with a
detect and repair, if it can't see the problem file it seems like it does
nothing to the installation, i would have expected it to at least replace
the core files as a matter of course (like the templates). it take almost as
long to remove and reinstall

hope this helps

Mark