Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Is there way to reslove this ?

Is there way to reslove this ?

Vincent Leung

Hi to all

My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I did
some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it yet.

I even tried the following methods "

Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and reboot
the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.

Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.

Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

Michael D. Alligood

If you are getting a "Windows Installer" error, you can download the
latest version of this at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803. Try
that and see if it resolves your issue.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Vincent Leung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi to all
>
> My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
> display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
> error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I did
> some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
> 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it yet.
>
> I even tried the following methods "
>
> Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and reboot
> the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
>
> Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
>
> Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

Keith Chilton

find the template folder location and replace the templates with pcs from a
different pc that work. See if corrupted files are trying to be used by
windows installer

"Vincent Leung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi to all
>
> My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
> display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
> error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I
> did
> some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
> 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it
> yet.
>
> I even tried the following methods "
>
> Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and
> reboot
> the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
>
> Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
>
> Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

Keith Chilton

I had Windows Installer issues about 2-3 weeks ago. I had a repair utility
downloaded to fix windows installer by microsoft. Oddly enough, it tried to
launch windows installer to run the repair utility. It was irony at it's
best......

I did find an install package that didnt use windows installer, but it still
didnt help....

Ended up formatting the PC in the end. I spent too much time on it and was
at a brick wall..

Hope yours comes out better than mine..............

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> find the template folder location and replace the templates with pcs from
> a different pc that work. See if corrupted files are trying to be used by
> windows installer
>
> "Vincent Leung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi to all
>>
>> My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
>> display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
>> error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I
>> did
>> some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
>> 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it
>> yet.
>>
>> I even tried the following methods "
>>
>> Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and
>> reboot
>> the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
>>
>> Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
>>
>> Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

Richard

Keith
I have read many of your posts here. And a few times if I remember
correctly you have reformatted PC's at work.

I just wonder what you do for a backup scheme, it seems that reformatting
would be somewhat
intrusive for the operator. I know when I had Win98 reformatting was
expected
every so often, and I always liked my PC after a reformat, clean and new
again.

Just curious.

Richard

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%239P7DG$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had Windows Installer issues about 2-3 weeks ago. I had a repair utility
>downloaded to fix windows installer by microsoft. Oddly enough, it tried to
>launch windows installer to run the repair utility. It was irony at it's
>best......
>
> I did find an install package that didnt use windows installer, but it
> still didnt help....
>
> Ended up formatting the PC in the end. I spent too much time on it and was
> at a brick wall..
>
> Hope yours comes out better than mine..............
>

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> find the template folder location and replace the templates with pcs from
>> a different pc that work. See if corrupted files are trying to be used by
>> windows installer
>>
>> "Vincent Leung" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi to all
>>>
>>> My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
>>> display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error
>>> 1605"
>>> error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I
>>> did
>>> some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
>>> 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try
>>> it yet.
>>>
>>> I even tried the following methods "
>>>
>>> Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and
>>> reboot
>>> the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
>>>
>>> Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

Keith Chilton

Before I format I get

1) User Documents
2) Internet Favorites
3) Take note of drivers from
A) Graphics Adapter Manufacturer / Type
B) Network Adapter Manufacturer / Type
C) Sound Card Manufacturer / Type

Off we go! haha Yes it's very intrusive and I try my best to avoid it, but
sometimes it's the only option (especially with quirky 98 systems) I'm
trying to get everyone off of 98 though. I hate em. It's always advised to
defrag after formatting if you didnt know btw. I like pinning system
utilities in the start menu as well , like disk defrag, system restore, disk
cleanup, command prompt and calculator just so i can say less on the phone
when i'm on the phone with the user troubleshooting.

Keith

Michael D. Alligood

You office still runs Windows 98??? For what reason?

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Before I format I get
>
> 1) User Documents
> 2) Internet Favorites
> 3) Take note of drivers from
> A) Graphics Adapter Manufacturer / Type
> B) Network Adapter Manufacturer / Type
> C) Sound Card Manufacturer / Type
>
> Off we go! haha Yes it's very intrusive and I try my best to avoid it, but
> sometimes it's the only option (especially with quirky 98 systems) I'm
> trying to get everyone off of 98 though. I hate em. It's always advised to
> defrag after formatting if you didnt know btw. I like pinning system
> utilities in the start menu as well , like disk defrag, system restore, disk
> cleanup, command prompt and calculator just so i can say less on the phone
> when i'm on the phone with the user troubleshooting.
>
> Keith

RemoteShark

Would you not consider using Ghost. It saves alot of time, money and hair!!
*giggle*
I can have a lab of 22 computer reimaged in 11 minutes...go figure, it takes
ppl that much time to find the windows 98 startup disk. I am a desktop
tech/admin for 600 desktop/laptop environment. Of course I would love to
manually format computers all day and learn more on the job, but todays
practices doesnt allow me to do just that, so mainly if I have a classroom of
computers all junked up and 22 students waiting, i can#t afford to dwindle
and think hmmmm where is my win98 boot disk. 26 hours later... still not on
the net.

What setup environment do you have?

L8r
RemoteShark

"Keith Chilton" wrote:

> Before I format I get
>
> 1) User Documents
> 2) Internet Favorites
> 3) Take note of drivers from
> A) Graphics Adapter Manufacturer / Type
> B) Network Adapter Manufacturer / Type
> C) Sound Card Manufacturer / Type
>
> Off we go! haha Yes it's very intrusive and I try my best to avoid it, but
> sometimes it's the only option (especially with quirky 98 systems) I'm
> trying to get everyone off of 98 though. I hate em. It's always advised to
> defrag after formatting if you didnt know btw. I like pinning system
> utilities in the start menu as well , like disk defrag, system restore, disk
> cleanup, command prompt and calculator just so i can say less on the phone
> when i'm on the phone with the user troubleshooting.
>
> Keith

Keith Chilton

Well it was bought before i got here and just gradually as we buy more PCs
are replacing them...

--
Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
River Valley Financial Bank

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You office still runs Windows 98??? For what reason?
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Before I format I get
>>
>> 1) User Documents
>> 2) Internet Favorites
>> 3) Take note of drivers from
>> A) Graphics Adapter Manufacturer / Type
>> B) Network Adapter Manufacturer / Type
>> C) Sound Card Manufacturer / Type
>>
>> Off we go! haha Yes it's very intrusive and I try my best to avoid it,
>> but
>> sometimes it's the only option (especially with quirky 98 systems) I'm
>> trying to get everyone off of 98 though. I hate em. It's always advised
>> defrag after formatting if you didnt know btw. I like pinning system
>> utilities in the start menu as well , like disk defrag, system restore,
>> disk
>> cleanup, command prompt and calculator just so i can say less on the
>> phone
>> when i'm on the phone with the user troubleshooting.
>>
>> Keith

Scuba_Dave

"Vincent Leung" wrote:

> Hi to all
>
> My customer at work using Office 2003 and she keep receiving a "Can't
> display the template used in this document. Windows Installer error 1605"
> error message when you try to access a template in PowerPoint 2003 and I did
> some research on the web and the closest solution is the one from MS KB
> 327975 but since that solution is for PowerPoint 2000, so I didn't try it yet.
>
> I even tried the following methods "
>
> Use add / remove to remove PowerPoint 2003 from Office 2003 Suite and reboot
> the PC, re-install or Add PowerPoint 2003 back to the PC, no luck.
> Use Repair feature to repair Office 2003, no luck so far.
> Any other suggestions, please kindly advise.

We aren't even supposed to troubelshoot issues at work any more
If there is a problem, the PC is re-imaged
We don't back up the users data, they are not supposed to keep anything on
the local PC. They are supposed to save to the network. Anything on the local
PC is the responsibility of the user to back up
We swap in an imaged drive & save the other drive for 2 weeks
After that the old drive is re-imaged

We still have Windows 95 PC's at work, but do not have any that login to the
network. The last WIN95 PC logging in was recently replaced
We still have Windows 98 PC's on the network, until recently the number was
over 200 (out fo 3400). There are certain applications that will only run on
WIndows 98
They will not buy the new software - $4k for a floppy
"If it aint' broke - don't fix it"
And 90% of the XP installations are still running SP1
90% are still using Office 2000, certain apps only work with Word 2000

There are NO plans to even consider Vista or Office 2007
We are just starting to rollout SP2 & Office 2003 on the newest image!!