Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Permissions Cracked?

Permissions Cracked?

RemoteShark

Correct me please if I am wrong.

The MCDST Permissions go as far as understanding what a DST can do (MCDST
level) in order to troubleshoot Permissions/Shares. I looked at the Server
2003 MCSE Level permissions which looked similar but went alot more into
depth than a DST would. So I am now thinking that the DST level of knowledge
for Permissions would be limited to a certain extent unless there was a
company wide issue in which the Administrators (MCSE's/MCSA) would have to
step in.

If I am a DST Administrator troubleshooting "Sally's" permissions on a
Domain level, then I have the power as long as I am Administrator/Domain
Admin to do what needs to be done, regardless. Either local computers or
partially through active directory. Of course, in my company all computers
have full control permissions and then locked down with NTFS Permissions.

One of the questions posted regarding a Manager having rights to allow
certain people have access to folders/files, but not on a particular one, so
instead of giving the individual users permissions, just give the manager the
rights to do this, makes alot of sense. I know each question will be
different, but the rule of thumb, the most restrictive takes lead between
Advanced Sharing and NTFS Permissions, but in real world, it's better to give
everyone Full Access on Advanced Sharing (Local) Levels and then lock down
the NTFS Permissions accordingly.

These basic pillars will help alot of us answer these questions on the
70-272 exam. I would rather do permissions than Office, although Office
questions are easy too, I think as long as you work on it 24/7 for a month

I have been studying now for about 4 weeks and getting alot more confident.
I have 7 weeks left, the last 2 will be going over exam questions. I am just
going through the MS Press Book, doing the labs in it and referring to CBT
videos for extra clarification and takes away the boring reading sometimes
(have a snack & beverage). When I come into work, the next day I feel like I
want to pour out all the knowledge I learnt the night before, but since I am
doing this to get another job somewhere else, I can't really share it with
anyone, cause they are all S#its. Anyway, the quicker I get my MCP, the
better.

Cheerio!

TheITGirl

"RemoteShark" wrote:

> Correct me please if I am wrong.
>
> The MCDST Permissions go as far as understanding what a DST can do (MCDST
> level) in order to troubleshoot Permissions/Shares. I looked at the Server
> 2003 MCSE Level permissions which looked similar but went alot more into
> depth than a DST would. So I am now thinking that the DST level of knowledge
> for Permissions would be limited to a certain extent unless there was a
> company wide issue in which the Administrators (MCSE's/MCSA) would have to
> step in.
>
> If I am a DST Administrator troubleshooting "Sally's" permissions on a
> Domain level, then I have the power as long as I am Administrator/Domain
> Admin to do what needs to be done, regardless. Either local computers or
> partially through active directory. Of course, in my company all computers
> have full control permissions and then locked down with NTFS Permissions.
>
> One of the questions posted regarding a Manager having rights to allow
> certain people have access to folders/files, but not on a particular one, so
> instead of giving the individual users permissions, just give the manager the
> rights to do this, makes alot of sense. I know each question will be
> different, but the rule of thumb, the most restrictive takes lead between
> Advanced Sharing and NTFS Permissions, but in real world, it's better to give
> everyone Full Access on Advanced Sharing (Local) Levels and then lock down
> the NTFS Permissions accordingly.
>
> These basic pillars will help alot of us answer these questions on the
> 70-272 exam. I would rather do permissions than Office, although Office
> questions are easy too, I think as long as you work on it 24/7 for a month
>
> I have been studying now for about 4 weeks and getting alot more confident.
> I have 7 weeks left, the last 2 will be going over exam questions. I am just
> going through the MS Press Book, doing the labs in it and referring to CBT
> videos for extra clarification and takes away the boring reading sometimes
> (have a snack & beverage). When I come into work, the next day I feel like I
> want to pour out all the knowledge I learnt the night before, but since I am
> doing this to get another job somewhere else, I can't really share it with
> anyone, cause they are all S#its. Anyway, the quicker I get my MCP, the
> better.
>
> Cheerio!

Hello there!

If it helps, I personally found that the stuff on permissions in the MS
Press book for 70-271 was adequate for the 70-271 exam. I think permissions
crop up in the 272 exam tool

I am about halfway through my first reading of the 70-272 MS Press book, and
am finding it much easier going than the one for the 271 exam so far. That
is probably because I have more experience of using and troubleshooting MS
Office applications and I have of troubleshooting the operating system
itself. I hope to take the 272 exam sometime during March.

I think you are doing the right thing in going for the qualification to get
a new job. I now have a great job doing deskside support, which I really
enjoy, but my last job was on a helpdesk talking to customers on the phone
all day. Loads of my colleagues there were complaining that they had been
asking the company to pay for them to attend the MCDST course for a year or
more, and had heard nothing. It never occurred to them to buy the books and
start studying themselves! No company is going to stop me improving myself
if I want to!

All the best

IT Girl