Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > MCDST communication skills

MCDST communication skills

Keith Chilton

I was just wondering why there is never really any focus on communicating to
the end-user in these MS Press Books. To me, communicating clearly and
simply is the most effective way to reach an end-user to make your job as a
MCDST to your company less burdensome. I think it should be emphasized more
in the training material how to deal with users, classifying their
intelligence level, evaluating emotional status, among other things. Another
topic I think should be talked about is long-term planning as a MCDST. Do
you keep track of what you do during the day, every day. How do you do that?
What kind of goals do you set for yourself to achieve in the future? for
your company? for your IT infrastructure? These books teach you all the
technical stuff, but experience will teach you all the other stuff. I think
it should be summarized and at least mentioned because this is the Desktop
Support Technician after all. If you have no communication skills, what good
is that? You may get the job done, but is that really benefical to the
company in the long term, or just the minimum to get the job done. I'm not a
minimalist. Any comments?

--
Keith Chilton, MCP
Data Services Technician

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions
and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by
my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorized
representative independent of this message.

Manuel Moore

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:08:04 -0500, "Keith Chilton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was just wondering why there is never really any focus on communicating to
>the end-user in these MS Press Books. To me, communicating clearly and
>simply is the most effective way to reach an end-user to make your job as a
>MCDST to your company less burdensome. I think it should be emphasized more
>in the training material how to deal with users, classifying their
>intelligence level, evaluating emotional status, among other things. Another
>topic I think should be talked about is long-term planning as a MCDST. Do
>you keep track of what you do during the day, every day. How do you do that?
>What kind of goals do you set for yourself to achieve in the future? for
>your company? for your IT infrastructure? These books teach you all the
>technical stuff, but experience will teach you all the other stuff. I think
>it should be summarized and at least mentioned because this is the Desktop
>Support Technician after all. If you have no communication skills, what good
>is that? You may get the job done, but is that really benefical to the
>company in the long term, or just the minimum to get the job done. I'm not a
>minimalist. Any comments?

In MOCs Microsoft emphasizes that one of the MCDST's key skills is the
communication with the end-user and there are some questions proposed
which should be prudent to ask.
A different statement that they make is that they make it clear that
you have to talk to the user in a way that makes him believe that he
found the solution without too much help. It's like gently pushing the
user to the desired result.
But other than that I do agree with you that they don't really try to
teach you how to talk to the end-user.

Manuel Moore
MCP

TurkReno

Manuel Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:08:04 -0500, "Keith Chilton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I was just wondering why there is never really any focus on
>>communicating to the end-user in these MS Press Books. To me,
>>communicating clearly and simply is the most effective way to reach an
>>end-user to make your job as a MCDST to your company less burdensome.
>>I think it should be emphasized more in the training material how to
>>deal with users, classifying their intelligence level, evaluating
>>emotional status, among other things. Another topic I think should be
>>talked about is long-term planning as a MCDST. Do you keep track of
>>what you do during the day, every day. How do you do that? What kind
>>of goals do you set for yourself to achieve in the future? for your
>>company? for your IT infrastructure? These books teach you all the
>>technical stuff, but experience will teach you all the other stuff. I
>>think it should be summarized and at least mentioned because this is
>>the Desktop Support Technician after all. If you have no communication
>>skills, what good is that? You may get the job done, but is that
>>really benefical to the company in the long term, or just the minimum
>>to get the job done. I'm not a minimalist. Any comments?

> In MOCs Microsoft emphasizes that one of the MCDST's key skills is the
> communication with the end-user and there are some questions proposed
> which should be prudent to ask.
> A different statement that they make is that they make it clear that
> you have to talk to the user in a way that makes him believe that he
> found the solution without too much help. It's like gently pushing the
> user to the desired result.
> But other than that I do agree with you that they don't really try to
> teach you how to talk to the end-user.
>
> Manuel Moore
> MCP

<- Point in case.