Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > RPC over HTTP

RPC over HTTP

Manuel Moore

Hello,

we were talking about RPC over HTTP in class today and I'm not quite
sure that I understood how it works.

Would there be a possibility to have some light shedding in this area?

Thank you.

Manuel Moore

Jonathan Roberts

Manuel Moore wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we were talking about RPC over HTTP in class today and I'm not quite
> sure that I understood how it works.
>
> Would there be a possibility to have some light shedding in this area?
>
> Thank you.
>

> Manuel Moore

I assume you mean in the context of Exchange & Outlook 2003? If so, it
essentially avoids the need for a VPN connection by encapsulating the
Exchange traffic through HTTP. Hope this helps.

Manuel Moore

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:40:33 -0600, Jonathan Roberts
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Manuel Moore wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we were talking about RPC over HTTP in class today and I'm not quite
>> sure that I understood how it works.
>>
>> Would there be a possibility to have some light shedding in this area?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> Manuel Moore

>I assume you mean in the context of Exchange & Outlook 2003? If so, it
>essentially avoids the need for a VPN connection by encapsulating the
>Exchange traffic through HTTP. Hope this helps.

Sorry I didn't mention that.
The Outlook Connection is wrapped in a HTTP connection to go through
the outer firewall i.o.t. reach the front-end Exchange Server.
But what I don't quite understand is what happens then. For if I
understood it correctly, the front-end Exchange Server cannot have any
of the mailboxes on it.

Thank you

wagnerk

It looks like this dicussion is talking about 2 different things here:

Front-end/back-end configuration and the RPC over HTTP question.

The Front-end/back-end configuration is recommended practice for setting up
Exchange in your environment, but you don't have to have it that way (just
look at Windows 2003 SBS). The back-end server is what does all the
processing/hosts the mailboxes, the frontend server is what the users would
use, for example to use Outlook web access/to retrieve their e-mails. So the
front end server would pass the instructions to the back-end server then
retrieve the data for the user (the user doesn't have direct access to the
back-end server).

RPC over HTTP allows users to use the Outlook client (not OWA) to retrieve
their e-mails from, for example, home - instead of having to be at work to
retrieve their e-mails. Setting up the Outlook client is very similar to say
setting up a POP3 account or mapi/imap account, etc. It's the back end (the
engineer's/admin's role not the DST role) that is very different.

I hope this clears it up alittle bit

-Ken

Manuel Moore

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:40:11 -0800, wagnerk
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It looks like this dicussion is talking about 2 different things here:
>
>Front-end/back-end configuration and the RPC over HTTP question.
>
>The Front-end/back-end configuration is recommended practice for setting up
>Exchange in your environment, but you don't have to have it that way (just
>look at Windows 2003 SBS). The back-end server is what does all the
>processing/hosts the mailboxes, the frontend server is what the users would
>use, for example to use Outlook web access/to retrieve their e-mails. So the
>front end server would pass the instructions to the back-end server then
>retrieve the data for the user (the user doesn't have direct access to the
>back-end server).
>
>RPC over HTTP allows users to use the Outlook client (not OWA) to retrieve
>their e-mails from, for example, home - instead of having to be at work to
>retrieve their e-mails. Setting up the Outlook client is very similar to say
>setting up a POP3 account or mapi/imap account, etc. It's the back end (the
>engineer's/admin's role not the DST role) that is very different.
>
>I hope this clears it up alittle bit
>
>-Ken

It does indeed.
Our trainer explained to us that the front-end/back-end configuration
is absolutely necessary to be able to do RPC over HTTP.
I guess it got a little mixed up for he explained the OWA and RPC over
HTTP at the same time (almost).

Thank you very much.