Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > The right Certification

The right Certification

Derek

I have been a messing around with computers for about 10 years now and I
recently found out about microsoft cert. I am not sure which one to go with,
I know alot about windows xp, software and hardware. I was thinking the MCDST
certification. What kind of job could I get with this certification. Also my
computer knowledge didnt come from me going to school for it, it came from
hands on experience and friends who work in the field. If anyone can help I
would appreciate it.

Derek

Michael D. Alligood

Wow, 10 years messing around with computers and you just heard of
Microsoft certifications? Here is a link to help you on your path:
http://www.microsoft.com/learning. Here you will find the certification
you want to reach. Some certification take longer to get than others. It
is a matter of what you want to specialize in. If you want to stick with
the client side of thing, passing the 70-270 Windows XP Professional
exam earn you the status of Microsoft Certified Professional. This
certification (or exam) is normally the foundation for any medium to
high end Microsoft certification such as Microsoft Certified System
Administrator (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).
This is based on the information you provided. But suppose you wanted to
get into application or solution development, then you would look toward
your MCAD (Application Development) or MCSD (Solutions Development).
Then you have what you described yourself as doing for 10 years, MCDST
(Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician). This certification is
self explanatory; you diagnosis and troubleshoot computers in a Windows
XP environment.

Browse the link I provided, tell us what you are wanting to do in the IT
field, and we can help you narrow down things for you.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Derek" <Derek @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have been a messing around with computers for about 10 years now and I
> recently found out about microsoft cert. I am not sure which one to go with,
> I know alot about windows xp, software and hardware. I was thinking the MCDST
> certification. What kind of job could I get with this certification. Also my
> computer knowledge didnt come from me going to school for it, it came from
> hands on experience and friends who work in the field. If anyone can help I
> would appreciate it.
>
> Derek

Derek

I have pretty much narrowed it down to MCDST or one to do with networking. I
know more about software, hardware and trouble shooting problems in windows
though, my network skills are limited. My question is, is it going to be hard
for me to get a job because I never went to college for computers? Like i
stated earlier all my experience is hands on and self tought. When I first
started I messed up a few computers but much more practic and time later I
know what to do. I talked to a tech support person from Dell and he was
telling me that if i got certified that would sub. for school, is this true??

"Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

> Wow, 10 years messing around with computers and you just heard of
> Microsoft certifications? Here is a link to help you on your path:
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning. Here you will find the certification
> you want to reach. Some certification take longer to get than others. It
> is a matter of what you want to specialize in. If you want to stick with
> the client side of thing, passing the 70-270 Windows XP Professional
> exam earn you the status of Microsoft Certified Professional. This
> certification (or exam) is normally the foundation for any medium to
> high end Microsoft certification such as Microsoft Certified System
> Administrator (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).
> This is based on the information you provided. But suppose you wanted to
> get into application or solution development, then you would look toward
> your MCAD (Application Development) or MCSD (Solutions Development).
> Then you have what you described yourself as doing for 10 years, MCDST
> (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician). This certification is
> self explanatory; you diagnosis and troubleshoot computers in a Windows
> XP environment.
>
> Browse the link I provided, tell us what you are wanting to do in the IT
> field, and we can help you narrow down things for you.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Derek" <Derek @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have been a messing around with computers for about 10 years now and I
> > recently found out about microsoft cert. I am not sure which one to go with,
> > I know alot about windows xp, software and hardware. I was thinking the MCDST
> > certification. What kind of job could I get with this certification. Also my
> > computer knowledge didnt come from me going to school for it, it came from
> > hands on experience and friends who work in the field. If anyone can help I
> > would appreciate it.
> >
> > Derek

Keith Chilton

I hope getting a certification isn't considered a sub for going to college.
If thats the case, why did i go to college 4 years? There is no substitute
for all the different
courses you go through and computer topics you address in college. You work
your butt off and learn all kinds of usesless knowledge you'll never use.
LoL I guess thats true about
any type of learning you have to go through though. There is lots of stuff
you don't need to know. It's up to you to get yourself involved in something
where you can
apply yourself and your knowledge for "the company" and the betterment
thereof. I hope to one day get my programming knowledge into practice in my
job (and hopefully not just
writing login scripts - LoL)

"Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Michael D. Alligood
>> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> CIW Certified Instructor
>>

>> "Derek" <Derek @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I have been a messing around with computers for about 10 years now and
>> > recently found out about microsoft cert. I am not sure which one to go
>> > with,
>> > I know alot about windows xp, software and hardware. I was thinking the
>> > MCDST
>> > certification. What kind of job could I get with this certification.
>> > Also my
>> > computer knowledge didnt come from me going to school for it, it came
>> > from
>> > hands on experience and friends who work in the field. If anyone can

Michael D. Alligood

Ahh, I was wondering when this time old question would service: Degree
verses Certification; which one is better?!? Nowadays, if you attend any
soft of college level class, you end up with some sort of certification
in that field. Example being a majority of degrees are now including
certification tracks as well. My local community college (Florida
Community College at Jacksonville) has one of the best IT programs in
the nation. While their curriculum does not specifically follow the
exact path prescribed by Microsoft at times; you should have little
difficulty negotiating the exams after taking the classes.

I cannot answer your question, but I can share my experiences with you.
Certifications have given me more of an edge than my college education /
degree has ever. I could have a degree in underwater basket weaving with
the certifications I have now and land any IT job I am qualified for.
Many times when you read the help wanted ads, you will see: "College
Degree Preferred. Must have your XXXX certification to apply." Sometimes
I think they want you to have college experience because that normally
means that you are paying back college loans and you need the money;
thus you will not leave anytime soon!

I will say this. I am a fan of learning on any level. I think education
and knowledge are the keys to success. We cannot honestly tell you what
would work for you. We can share our experiences and you can put them
all together and make a decision that you are comfortable with.

Lets take a look at your certification choices thus far. Here is my
recommendations based on what you have shared so far:

A+ -- foundation and recognition for basic PC repair; including Windows
troubleshooting
Network+ -- foundation for future networking knowledge
MCDST -- recognized as a certified desktop support technician in Windows
XP; included the 70-270 test for a MCP and employers will be
additionally impressed.
MCSA / MCITP -- I would start out with the MCSA in Windows 2003, then in
time upgrade to MCITP: Vista in the Enterprise. Doing so will earn you
the
Following: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise.

Following this program, you will be in the medium status of networking
while also able to service the client side of things as well. From here
you can get into the design, messaging, or security side of things in
the Microsoft field by climbing the certification latter to achieve your
MCSE.

I hope all this makes sense to you. If not you can always ask anything
here or email me directly. Good luck.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have pretty much narrowed it down to MCDST or one to do with networking. I
> know more about software, hardware and trouble shooting problems in windows
> though, my network skills are limited. My question is, is it going to be hard
> for me to get a job because I never went to college for computers? Like i
> stated earlier all my experience is hands on and self tought. When I first
> started I messed up a few computers but much more practic and time later I
> know what to do. I talked to a tech support person from Dell and he was
> telling me that if i got certified that would sub. for school, is this true??
>

> "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
>
> > Wow, 10 years messing around with computers and you just heard of
> > Microsoft certifications? Here is a link to help you on your path:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/learning. Here you will find the certification
> > you want to reach. Some certification take longer to get than others. It
> > is a matter of what you want to specialize in. If you want to stick with
> > the client side of thing, passing the 70-270 Windows XP Professional
> > exam earn you the status of Microsoft Certified Professional. This
> > certification (or exam) is normally the foundation for any medium to
> > high end Microsoft certification such as Microsoft Certified System
> > Administrator (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).
> > This is based on the information you provided. But suppose you wanted to
> > get into application or solution development, then you would look toward
> > your MCAD (Application Development) or MCSD (Solutions Development).
> > Then you have what you described yourself as doing for 10 years, MCDST
> > (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician). This certification is
> > self explanatory; you diagnosis and troubleshoot computers in a Windows
> > XP environment.
> >
> > Browse the link I provided, tell us what you are wanting to do in the IT
> > field, and we can help you narrow down things for you.
> >
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor
> >

> > "Derek" <Derek @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > I have been a messing around with computers for about 10 years now and I
> > > recently found out about microsoft cert. I am not sure which one to go with,
> > > I know alot about windows xp, software and hardware. I was thinking the MCDST
> > > certification. What kind of job could I get with this certification. Also my
> > > computer knowledge didnt come from me going to school for it, it came from
> > > hands on experience and friends who work in the field. If anyone can help I
> > > would appreciate it.
> > >
> > > Derek

Keith Chilton

After I get my MCDST Michael, I am unsure which path to follow. I feel like
the most beneficial thing (for my company) would be for me to go after the
MCSA because we have Windows 2000 Servers. However there may be things in
preparing for the Network+ exam that would benefit them as well by my
knowing it. However I think Administration of our Active Directory would be
the best. I am always in such a rush to learn I wish I just already had the
A+ and Network+ under my belt. Are they hard or easy to achieve? More
importantly, how quick can one get them? haha

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > certification (or exam) is normally the foundation for any medium to
>> > high end Microsoft certification such as Microsoft Certified System
>> > Administrator (MCSA) or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).
>> > This is based on the information you provided. But suppose you wanted
>> > get into application or solution development, then you would look
>> > toward
>> > your MCAD (Application Development) or MCSD (Solutions Development).
>> > Then you have what you described yourself as doing for 10 years, MCDST
>> > (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician). This certification is
>> > self explanatory; you diagnosis and troubleshoot computers in a Windows
>> > XP environment.
>> >
>> > Browse the link I provided, tell us what you are wanting to do in the
>> > IT
>> > field, and we can help you narrow down things for you.

Michael D. Alligood

First of all, there is no need to rush. Flowchart your goals. Assigned
them reasonable completion dates and aim for those dates. Construct your
flowchart to be fluid. Meaning if you miss your target date, what is the
backup date? Unless you are under pressure to move into another position
that requires this certification, there is no need to rush just to get
certified.

Here is the link to the CompTIA website; http://www.comptia.org. Here
you can download the test objectives to all X+ certifications you are
interested in. Being my first exams, I remember being well prepared. My
answer to your question if it was easy or hard to achieve would not
matter. I could scare you and say it was the hardest certification I
ever earned. Or I could say I took all 3 (A+ has two exams, Network+
one) in less then an hour. Either way, those answers do not benefit you.
Nor would my answer to how quick you can achieve them. I probably waited
2 years to take my A+. Again, being my first real IT exam, I took my
time and studied.

First, review the objectives. That is the only way to know what you are
going to be tested on. Then find your strengths and weaknesses. Here is
one thing I bet you never thought of. This is true with every test or
exam I ever took:

1.) I was always aware of what was I going to be tested on! Read Your
Test Objectives!
2.) The answer is always right in front of your face! You just have to
choose the correct one, but nevertheless it is right there!

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> [...]
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor
> >

> > "Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> I have pretty much narrowed it down to MCDST or one to do with
> >> networking. I
> >> know more about software, hardware and trouble shooting problems in
> >> windows
> >> though, my network skills are limited. My question is, is it going to be
> >> hard
> >> for me to get a job because I never went to college for computers? Like i
> >> stated earlier all my experience is hands on and self tought. When I
> >> first
> >> started I messed up a few computers but much more practic and time later
> >> know what to do. I talked to a tech support person from Dell and he was
> >> telling me that if i got certified that would sub. for school, is this

Jonathan Roberts

Keith Chilton wrote:
> After I get my MCDST Michael, I am unsure which path to follow. I feel like
> the most beneficial thing (for my company) would be for me to go after the
> MCSA because we have Windows 2000 Servers. However there may be things in
> preparing for the Network+ exam that would benefit them as well by my
> knowing it. However I think Administration of our Active Directory would be
> the best. I am always in such a rush to learn I wish I just already had the
> A+ and Network+ under my belt. Are they hard or easy to achieve? More
> importantly, how quick can one get them? haha

If you are weak in network fundamentals, get Net+ before going after the
server certs for MCSA. You will need that foundation to move forward to
a MCSA.

TurkReno

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:
#(E-Mail Removed):

> Degree
> verses Certification; which one is better?!?

Both if you want to market yourself through HR Screens correctly. You and
I could go back and forth about that all day.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50

Michael D. Alligood

Yeah, that is a debate that could go either way. But I agree that having
both opens more doors and allows for greater opportunity.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,