Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: Cannot decide

Re: Cannot decide

Keith Chilton

Are you currently seeking another job that a MCDST position would help you
obtain? Are you prepared to study your butt off? If you have no experience
in the environment you'll have to study harder than I did I'm sure to pass
the test. I have been help desk support for 3 years at a bank. I guess it
depends on your knowledge you already have. Is it broad in scope and can you
troubleshoot problems that come up in an XP environment? Having done UNIX in
college, I know it's all text based and very different from Windows. Start
with the basics and yes I believe the press books are enough. The one for
272 was for me. I had to consult material I didnt feel confident in from the
Internet, but other than that... I did the CD practice test on it too. All
this talk on here about these sites you pay all this money too seems
unnecessary to me. Knowledge comes from hard work and the vast information
source we call the Internet IMHO. Good luck in your decision.

TurkReno

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> All
> this talk on here about these sites you pay all this money too seems
> unnecessary to me. Knowledge comes from hard work and the vast
> information source we call the Internet IMHO. Good luck in your
> decision.

Keith: First off, the *official* training providers can help you
improve your test scores. The ones that are cheating outright who
"Guarantee you'll pass or your money back" are the ones you obviously
need to stay away from. Knowledge does come from experience, but there
is proper training out there. Bootcamps, braindumps, and the like just
aren't the way to fly. MOC Courses taught in a classroom are your best
bet to pass an exam, imho.

"Cannot Decide": Secondly, Google is your friend. That's basically
what you learn from being an MCDST. You are a certified Google/Search
Engine expert. Its silly sometimes, but either way, it can get you a
job in more than just "Tier 1 Tech Support" at Dell or wherever.
Consider that ANY Certification if you achieve it will increase the
likelyhood of your employment at any future employer. Certifications
show that you can actually do the job rather than having a resume that
says you were there for 6 months and accomplished nothing. Well, maybe
if you had a certification, it would be important. That is the entire
reason that you're here Mr. "Cannot Decide", you're here because you
need to better yourself.

Finally, Is the MCDST best for you as far as UNIX? Hrmm. That's a good
question. I would gather to say "No" to that. I would rather see
someone who had UNIX experience know more than a DST...so you're
probably better off going higher. If you're looking for a Microsoft
Certification, going for the MCSA on XP/2003 is your best bet.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50