Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Ping Michael Alligood & others re: MCDST

Ping Michael Alligood & others re: MCDST

Richard

Hello Group
I have been reading many posts concerning the MCDST test. I have already
purchased the
MS Press books for 271 & 272. I have an A+ but was taken in 1998. I do not
work in the IT field
but have had my hands in computers since 1994, both hardware and software. I
have built many
computers, setup small networks, I currently manage four (not much I
know)computers where I work now.

Michael, after reading your response to Ryan from 11/3 post...I believe I
can pass this test after of course
doing the studying and practice exams. I believe I am familiar with my weak
spots, or at least some
of them for 271. Namely the Active directory, group policies...etc.
Basically I have never been
involved with advanced networking procedures.

I do have two computers at home (XP pro & Home) to setup a network, and
practice these things.

In the thread from 11/3 Jonathan Roberts said the MCDST was the way to
go(for Ryan), you recommended
the A+ & Network+ first

My question...do you feel these two certs are important(or critical) to be
able to pass the MCDST? Or... will I be at
a distinct disadvantage if I don't have them?

And, if so then I guess my A+ being 8 years old is meaningless

Richard

Michael D. Alligood

Having your A+ and Network+ is not required in order to pass the exam.
The reason it is a good idea to be familiar with the objectives covered
in both said exams is knowing how to indentify and troubleshooting
hardware/driver issues (which a good 70-271 study guide will teach you).
As far as your stated weaknesses, review the skills measured here
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EXD to determine if
those fall into those objectives. I do not believe that your weaknesses
apply toward the 70-271 test -- definitely for the MCSA/MCSE. By your
post, you seem to be proficient inside the computer. This will help in a
small way. Use the link above and the 271 study guide to determine your
new weaknesses and address those accordingly. We are here to help with
any questions you have! Good Luck!

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello Group
> I have been reading many posts concerning the MCDST test. I have already
> purchased the
> MS Press books for 271 & 272. I have an A+ but was taken in 1998. I do not
> work in the IT field
> but have had my hands in computers since 1994, both hardware and software. I
> have built many
> computers, setup small networks, I currently manage four (not much I
> know)computers where I work now.
>
> Michael, after reading your response to Ryan from 11/3 post...I believe I
> can pass this test after of course
> doing the studying and practice exams. I believe I am familiar with my weak
> spots, or at least some
> of them for 271. Namely the Active directory, group policies...etc.
> Basically I have never been
> involved with advanced networking procedures.
>
> I do have two computers at home (XP pro & Home) to setup a network, and
> practice these things.
>
> In the thread from 11/3 Jonathan Roberts said the MCDST was the way to
> go(for Ryan), you recommended
> the A+ & Network+ first
>
> My question...do you feel these two certs are important(or critical) to be
> able to pass the MCDST? Or... will I be at
> a distinct disadvantage if I don't have them?
>
> And, if so then I guess my A+ being 8 years old is meaningless
>
> Richard

Richard

Michael
Thanks for your response. I guess from reading the posts here I somehow came
to believe
that A.D. and such was a part of the exam, if not so much the better. I just
started the 271 book
so my post was perhaps a bit premature. Anyway I'm sure I'll have other
questions in the following weeks to come.

I will again review the link you gave.

Again thanks for your time.

Richard

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having your A+ and Network+ is not required in order to pass the exam. The
> reason it is a good idea to be familiar with the objectives covered in
> both said exams is knowing how to indentify and troubleshooting
> hardware/driver issues (which a good 70-271 study guide will teach you).
> As far as your stated weaknesses, review the skills measured here
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EXD to determine if
> those fall into those objectives. I do not believe that your weaknesses
> apply toward the 70-271 test -- definitely for the MCSA/MCSE. By your
> post, you seem to be proficient inside the computer. This will help in a
> small way. Use the link above and the 271 study guide to determine your
> new weaknesses and address those accordingly. We are here to help with any
> questions you have! Good Luck!
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hello Group
>> I have been reading many posts concerning the MCDST test. I have already
>> purchased the
>> MS Press books for 271 & 272. I have an A+ but was taken in 1998. I do
>> not
>> work in the IT field
>> but have had my hands in computers since 1994, both hardware and
>> software. I
>> have built many
>> computers, setup small networks, I currently manage four (not much I
>> know)computers where I work now.
>>
>> Michael, after reading your response to Ryan from 11/3 post...I believe I
>> can pass this test after of course
>> doing the studying and practice exams. I believe I am familiar with my
>> weak
>> spots, or at least some
>> of them for 271. Namely the Active directory, group policies...etc.
>> Basically I have never been
>> involved with advanced networking procedures.
>>
>> I do have two computers at home (XP pro & Home) to setup a network, and
>> practice these things.
>>
>> In the thread from 11/3 Jonathan Roberts said the MCDST was the way to
>> go(for Ryan), you recommended
>> the A+ & Network+ first
>>
>> My question...do you feel these two certs are important(or critical) to
>> be
>> able to pass the MCDST? Or... will I be at
>> a distinct disadvantage if I don't have them?
>>
>> And, if so then I guess my A+ being 8 years old is meaningless
>>
>> Richard

Michael D. Alligood

No problem! I am glad I could point you in the right direction. Review
those objectives, and post back with some weaknesses you feel you have.
We will see what we can do for you.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> [...]
> >> can pass this test after of course
> >> doing the studying and practice exams. I believe I am familiar with my
> >> weak
> >> spots, or at least some
> >> of them for 271. Namely the Active directory, group policies...etc.
> >> Basically I have never been
> >> involved with advanced networking procedures.
> >>
> >> I do have two computers at home (XP pro & Home) to setup a network, and
> >> practice these things.
> >>
> >> In the thread from 11/3 Jonathan Roberts said the MCDST was the way to
> >> go(for Ryan), you recommended
> >> the A+ & Network+ first
> >>
> >> My question...do you feel these two certs are important(or critical) to
> >> be
> >> able to pass the MCDST? Or... will I be at
> >> a distinct disadvantage if I don't have them?
> >>
> >> And, if so then I guess my A+ being 8 years old is meaningless

Keith Chilton

I am just starting reading the same book 70-271. I took the 272 and passed
back on the 4th. Pretty soon i'll be hitting it hard again. I don't have A+
or Network+. Which would be better to get? Which would be easier? lol I
would like to have a little hardware certification, just for the heck of it.
I don't want to put much time into it though. lol I have been the help desk
for company for 3 years and I think I am very well rounded dealing with PCs.
My college years focused on computer programming... C++ , Java, SQL , UNIX
workstations and EMACS text editing. haha After those years were over, I
developed a Visual Basic 6.0 program for a fitness center. Then I sold it to
another fitness center. I am proud of that programming I put into it. It's
an ongoing project. Maybe one day I'll make the big time. Until then I'm
learning all this help desk support and network administration. Challenging!
So much to know. I love being well-rounded. Hopefully one day it'll all pay
off big dividends. I am probably going for the MCSA most likely after i get
this MCDST in the books. Computers are challenging and you'll never learn
all about them. I am hoping I am focusing on the right areas that will
benefit my future in the long term. I don't think Active Directory and
Windows Server knowledge will ever just fade out. XP might be unsupported
like Windows 98 is now, but let's hope that isn't for a good length of time.

Did anyone care to read that? I doubt I would have. haha I just wanted to
rant I guess.......

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23ulBY%(E-Mail Removed)...
> No problem! I am glad I could point you in the right direction. Review
> those objectives, and post back with some weaknesses you feel you have. We
> will see what we can do for you.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Michael
>> Thanks for your response. I guess from reading the posts here I somehow
>> came
>> to believe
>> that A.D. and such was a part of the exam, if not so much the better. I
>> just
>> started the 271 book
>> so my post was perhaps a bit premature. Anyway I'm sure I'll have other
>> questions in the following weeks to come.
>>
>> I will again review the link you gave.
>>
>> Again thanks for your time.
>>
>> Richard
>>

>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Having your A+ and Network+ is not required in order to pass the exam.
>> > The
>> > reason it is a good idea to be familiar with the objectives covered in
>> > both said exams is knowing how to indentify and troubleshooting
>> > hardware/driver issues (which a good 70-271 study guide will teach
>> > you).
>> > As far as your stated weaknesses, review the skills measured here
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx#EXD to determine if
>> > those fall into those objectives. I do not believe that your weaknesses
>> > apply toward the 70-271 test -- definitely for the MCSA/MCSE. By your
>> > post, you seem to be proficient inside the computer. This will help in
>> > small way. Use the link above and the 271 study guide to determine your
>> > new weaknesses and address those accordingly. We are here to help with
>> > any
>> > questions you have! Good Luck!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor
>> >

>> > "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

TurkReno

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I don't have A+
> or Network+.

Get A+ then Net+. You'll save yourself a headache in the end, trust me.
Employers in this area, even though I have more than the MCDST and a
diploma will not consider me for employment because they're a$$backwards
HR b!tches think that if you don't have A+ then your resume doesn't
qualify...little do they know what the other acronyms mean.

Finish your MCDST, get your A+. Good luck on 272, it was easier, imho,
than 271.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50

TurkReno

"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am probably going for the MCSA most likely after i get
> this MCDST in the books

BTW, MCDST does count as an elective towards MCSE, which you can take 6
more tests after the MCDST and have an MCSA and MCSE...3 to get MCSA, 3
additional to get MCSE......then take the upgrade to MCDST for Vista in
February/March and have 4/5 certs...the 4 or 5 depends on if you ask
Michael, he'll tell you that MCP alone counts for something =P.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50

Keith Chilton

Interesting I'll take your advice. Thanks!

--
Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
River Valley Financial Bank

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

"TurkReno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I don't have A+
>> or Network+.

> Get A+ then Net+. You'll save yourself a headache in the end, trust me.
> Employers in this area, even though I have more than the MCDST and a
> diploma will not consider me for employment because they're a$$backwards
> HR b!tches think that if you don't have A+ then your resume doesn't
> qualify...little do they know what the other acronyms mean.
>
> Finish your MCDST, get your A+. Good luck on 272, it was easier, imho,
> than 271.
>
> --
> Lasher
> MCNGP #50
> www.mcngp.com > all
> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
> belief.

Michael D. Alligood

Very good advice. Many employers, hiring for any type of desktop support
position, expect you to have you A+ certification. IMHO, I think CompTIA
should only make MCDST's take the hardware portion of the exam. The
software portion deals mainly with troubleshooting windows anyway -- and
that is what your MCDST is for!

The Network+ certification laid the foundation for me to pursue other
avenues such as CCNA, and the CIW Certifications. It is a great
certification to hold for those interested in pursuing other "network"
certifications, and wanting a good foundation to build on.

And many do not realize that both certifications (A+ and Network+) count
toward your elective for your MCSA -- this is a moot point if you have
your MCDST, which also counts as the elective.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"TurkReno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I don't have A+
> > or Network+.

> Get A+ then Net+. You'll save yourself a headache in the end, trust me.
> Employers in this area, even though I have more than the MCDST and a
> diploma will not consider me for employment because they're a$$backwards
> HR b!tches think that if you don't have A+ then your resume doesn't
> qualify...little do they know what the other acronyms mean.
>
> Finish your MCDST, get your A+. Good luck on 272, it was easier, imho,
> than 271.
>
> --
> Lasher
> MCNGP #50
> www.mcngp.com > all
> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
> belief.

Keith Chilton

I might go for the A+ after the MCDST is done with then. I am sure I would
learn quite a few useful things studying for the A+. Then maybe I'll pursue
the MCSA exams. I feel like I have a very good understanding of Excel. I
think maybe i need to either just buy an advanced book on Word to learn more
about it. I don't know if I want to test on it. LoL I don't know if it's
necessary to have a certification in Word for me. I think part of my reason
for being here is figuring out where I want to go and who exactly I am.

--
Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
River Valley Financial Bank
430 Clifty Drive
Madison, IN 47250

Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OUMEJ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Very good advice. Many employers, hiring for any type of desktop support
> position, expect you to have you A+ certification. IMHO, I think CompTIA
> should only make MCDST's take the hardware portion of the exam. The
> software portion deals mainly with troubleshooting windows anyway -- and
> that is what your MCDST is for!
>
> The Network+ certification laid the foundation for me to pursue other
> avenues such as CCNA, and the CIW Certifications. It is a great
> certification to hold for those interested in pursuing other "network"
> certifications, and wanting a good foundation to build on.
>
> And many do not realize that both certifications (A+ and Network+) count
> toward your elective for your MCSA -- this is a moot point if you have
> your MCDST, which also counts as the elective.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "TurkReno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I don't have A+
>> > or Network+.

>> Get A+ then Net+. You'll save yourself a headache in the end, trust me.
>> Employers in this area, even though I have more than the MCDST and a
>> diploma will not consider me for employment because they're a$$backwards
>> HR b!tches think that if you don't have A+ then your resume doesn't
>> qualify...little do they know what the other acronyms mean.
>>
>> Finish your MCDST, get your A+. Good luck on 272, it was easier, imho,
>> than 271.
>>
>> --
>> Lasher
>> MCNGP #50
>> www.mcngp.com > all
>> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
>> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
>> belief.

LotM | January 2007 - Michael D. Alligood TurkReno MCSE 2 02-05-2007 07:59 AM
Lamer of the Month, January 2007 - Michael D. Alligood TurkReno MCDST 0 02-05-2007 03:04 AM
Michael Alligood Keith Chilton MCDST 8 12-17-2006 03:05 AM
Can not ping myself, but can ping others =?Utf-8?B?V0pQQw==?= Wireless Networking 6 12-26-2004 05:56 AM

Advertisments