Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Exam 70-621

Exam 70-621

Jimmy

Hi everyone!

I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this news
to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've received
this year. The feeling is great!

I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available in
Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621 since
there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press Books
released for this particular exam?

BS

Jimmy,
Why don't you try MCSA? I am sure it will be a much greater feeling. I
haven't felt it yet but I guess Michael knows more about it.
Happy Holiday and congratulations.

Bernard
Network+, MCP

"Jimmy" wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this news
> to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've received
> this year. The feeling is great!
>
> I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available in
> Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621 since
> there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press Books
> released for this particular exam?

Michael D. Alligood

To be absolutely honest, I have not felt it either. My work allows me to
deal with 90% of desktops. I rarely do professional server
administration anymore. I know the technology, I know the server
environment; my work just has me behind the keyboard of a desktop and
not a server. I am not taken the time to upgrade my MCSA certification
to 2003. I do not see the need for it in my current position. With that
said, I am very proficient in Windows Server 2003. And it would just be
a matter of taking the exams. But I am tired of wasting my time and
money for certification that I will not use. Think about that the next
time someone throws out an abbreviation to you concerning certification.
First will you really use it? If not, then learn the technology, but
save your $125 that you would pay to test out on. Be specific with your
choice of certification and what you want to dedicate your time and
money to.

Jimmy, to answer your question. I am not sure they have published
"skills measured" for the test yet.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"BS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Jimmy,
> Why don't you try MCSA? I am sure it will be a much greater feeling. I
> haven't felt it yet but I guess Michael knows more about it.
> Happy Holiday and congratulations.
>
> Bernard
> Network+, MCP
>
> "Jimmy" wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this news
> > to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've received
> > this year. The feeling is great!
> >
> > I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available in
> > Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621 since
> > there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press Books
> > released for this particular exam?

Chefdenker

You can use TechNet, CBTNuggets First Look, 2 books about Vista beta and you
can use the Vista help files.

The MS Press books won't be out before May. I don't think they will even
have a book out for the upgrade exam. Just for the 620 and 622 exams.

There will be an online course available. But honestly i wouldn't pay
300-400 dollars for that. I rather collect the information i need myself.

"Jimmy" wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this news
> to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've received
> this year. The feeling is great!
>
> I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available in
> Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621 since
> there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press Books
> released for this particular exam?

Keith Chilton

That was a good post Michael.

By the way everyone, I got a 19 inch flat screen for Christmas! woohoo! I
also got an Iriver for my car. I am loving that as well. My cousin and I got
in our cars and put it on the same radio station and were both listening to
my music on my Ipod via the Iriver. Pretty sweet!!! It also can play sound
from DVDs, Laptops (woohoo) and other things that have audio outs (cd
players, mp3 players, ipods, or whatever) It plugs right in the cigarette
adapter and broadcast itself on FM waves.

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> To be absolutely honest, I have not felt it either. My work allows me to
> deal with 90% of desktops. I rarely do professional server administration
> anymore. I know the technology, I know the server environment; my work
> just has me behind the keyboard of a desktop and not a server. I am not
> taken the time to upgrade my MCSA certification to 2003. I do not see the
> need for it in my current position. With that said, I am very proficient
> in Windows Server 2003. And it would just be a matter of taking the exams.
> But I am tired of wasting my time and money for certification that I will
> not use. Think about that the next time someone throws out an abbreviation
> to you concerning certification. First will you really use it? If not,
> then learn the technology, but save your $125 that you would pay to test
> out on. Be specific with your choice of certification and what you want to
> dedicate your time and money to.
>
> Jimmy, to answer your question. I am not sure they have published "skills
> measured" for the test yet.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "BS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Jimmy,
>> Why don't you try MCSA? I am sure it will be a much greater feeling. I
>> haven't felt it yet but I guess Michael knows more about it.
>> Happy Holiday and congratulations.
>>
>> Bernard
>> Network+, MCP
>>
>> "Jimmy" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi everyone!
>> >
>> > I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this
>> > news
>> > to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've
>> > received
>> > this year. The feeling is great!
>> >
>> > I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available
>> > in
>> > Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621
>> > since
>> > there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press
>> > Books
>> > released for this particular exam?

Jimmy

Hi Chefdenker, thanks for the advice.

"Chefdenker" wrote:

> You can use TechNet, CBTNuggets First Look, 2 books about Vista beta and you
> can use the Vista help files.
>
> The MS Press books won't be out before May. I don't think they will even
> have a book out for the upgrade exam. Just for the 620 and 622 exams.
>
> There will be an online course available. But honestly i wouldn't pay
> 300-400 dollars for that. I rather collect the information i need myself.
>
> "Jimmy" wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this news
> > to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've received
> > this year. The feeling is great!
> >
> > I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available in
> > Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621 since
> > there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press Books
> > released for this particular exam?

TurkReno

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZmRlbmtlcg==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You can use TechNet, CBTNuggets First Look, 2 books about Vista beta
> and you can use the Vista help files.
>
> The MS Press books won't be out before May. I don't think they will
> even have a book out for the upgrade exam. Just for the 620 and 622
> exams.
>
> There will be an online course available. But honestly i wouldn't pay
> 300-400 dollars for that. I rather collect the information i need
> myself.

Two certs are better than one. Wish me luck, I take the 71-621 today.
As far as my professional opinion is concerned, you can show that you
have a lasting track record for MCDST, regardless if you took it on XP
or Vista, when you have BOTH like I may for the MCDST, then ok, you've
really shown your knowledge and continuing knowledge and it makes you a
more credible expert.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50

BS

Goodluck. Let us know the outcome

"TurkReno" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?Q2hlZmRlbmtlcg==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > You can use TechNet, CBTNuggets First Look, 2 books about Vista beta
> > and you can use the Vista help files.
> >
> > The MS Press books won't be out before May. I don't think they will
> > even have a book out for the upgrade exam. Just for the 620 and 622
> > exams.
> >
> > There will be an online course available. But honestly i wouldn't pay
> > 300-400 dollars for that. I rather collect the information i need
> > myself.

> Two certs are better than one. Wish me luck, I take the 71-621 today.
> As far as my professional opinion is concerned, you can show that you
> have a lasting track record for MCDST, regardless if you took it on XP
> or Vista, when you have BOTH like I may for the MCDST, then ok, you've
> really shown your knowledge and continuing knowledge and it makes you a
> more credible expert.
>
> --
> Lasher
> MCNGP #50
> www.mcngp.com > all
> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
> belief.

AJR

In preparation of MCSA certification I found the text "Windows Server 2003,
Administrator's Pocket Consultant" by Microsoft Press to be invaluable.
The Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant is now available (Barnes and
Noble, Amazon, etc.) and although not a "study guide" it should be great for
70-621 preparation - an opinion based on Microsoft's suggested lesson plan
for the 621.
"Jimmy" - if you can make use of certifications on the job - great - if
not - but you just like to "know" stuff and you feel great about your
accomplishments - then go for it!

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've just become a MCDST on 18th Dec 2006. Just thought of posting this
> news
> to share it with everyone here. It's a wonderful Christmas gift I've
> received
> this year. The feeling is great!
>
> I'm now looking forward to take exam 70-621 when it becomes available in
> Feb' 07. However, my question is: How can I prepare for exam 70-621 since
> there aren't any training materials, courseware or Microsoft Press Books
> released for this particular exam?

Jimmy

Hi AJR, thanks for the advice.