Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: Montreal M

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Montreal M

 
 
Michael D. Alligood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Interesting view. I think I would like to take the time to explore this
and your comments.

1.) It looks silly.
Is it the font? M... C... P... Looks right to me.

2.) It looks redundant?
Did I list it twice? (looking, looking, looking) Nope, just once.

3.) It looks pretentious. (This is my favorite!)
Pretentious - making claim to or creating an appearance of (often
undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a
pretentious fraud"; "a pretentious scholarly edition". I take pride in
being a part of the Microsoft Certified Professional community. I did
not take this certification, qualification, or designation. I earned it.
And if you think that I do not take pride in my high school diploma
after working 12 years to achieve it, you must be joking as well. The
years of college was a breeze.

And last...

4.) If I were hiring...
I probably would not apply. That is the joy of being a consultant, I
hire my clients; they do not hire me. Ultimately I decide what projects
I would like to devote my attention to. And with that, I am finished
devoting my attention with this post.

If my earned certifications are a source of tension for you, well... Get
over it.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor



"FrisbeeR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > So what's your point? Or are you just bored?
> > --
> > Michael D. Alligood
> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> > CIW Certified Instructor

>
> Listing MCP in your sig is like listing that you're a high school graduate
> in addition to being a college graduate. Take it for what it's worth, but
> if I were hiring, it would look silly, redundant, and pretentious to me.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Keith Chilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Frisbee

Aren't you getting a little personal and imposing with your views on
signatures and their usage? The only point I can see in you saying that is
that if you have an MCDST or MCSA, it is implied you have the MCP because
well you would have to have the MCP. You get it from the first test you
pass. There is nothing wrong with listing it on your signature or resume
though. You shouldn't think less of people who list it to make yourself
sound smarter. In fact, you'll probably sound well... the opposite.

That's my opinion. Don't you love it? If not, I do! haha


"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting view. I think I would like to take the time to explore this
> and your comments.
>
> 1.) It looks silly.
> Is it the font? M... C... P... Looks right to me.
>
> 2.) It looks redundant?
> Did I list it twice? (looking, looking, looking) Nope, just once.
>
> 3.) It looks pretentious. (This is my favorite!)
> Pretentious - making claim to or creating an appearance of (often
> undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a
> pretentious fraud"; "a pretentious scholarly edition". I take pride in
> being a part of the Microsoft Certified Professional community. I did not
> take this certification, qualification, or designation. I earned it. And
> if you think that I do not take pride in my high school diploma after
> working 12 years to achieve it, you must be joking as well. The years of
> college was a breeze.
>
> And last...
>
> 4.) If I were hiring...
> I probably would not apply. That is the joy of being a consultant, I hire
> my clients; they do not hire me. Ultimately I decide what projects I would
> like to devote my attention to. And with that, I am finished devoting my
> attention with this post.
>
> If my earned certifications are a source of tension for you, well... Get
> over it.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>
>
>
> "FrisbeeR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > So what's your point? Or are you just bored?
>> > --
>> > Michael D. Alligood
>> > MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
>> > Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
>> > CIW Certified Instructor

>>
>> Listing MCP in your sig is like listing that you're a high school
>> graduate
>> in addition to being a college graduate. Take it for what it's worth,
>> but
>> if I were hiring, it would look silly, redundant, and pretentious to me.

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
TurkReno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
"Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Frisbee
>
> Aren't you getting a little personal and imposing with your views on
> signatures and their usage? The only point I can see in you saying
> that is that if you have an MCDST or MCSA, it is implied you have the
> MCP because well you would have to have the MCP. You get it from the
> first test you pass. There is nothing wrong with listing it on your
> signature or resume though. You shouldn't think less of people who
> list it to make yourself sound smarter. In fact, you'll probably sound
> well... the opposite.
>
> That's my opinion. Don't you love it? If not, I do! haha


I agree with Frisbee guys. However, the only case that I would say
"Sure, list that on your resume is a situation where you have lets say
an MCDST (Which implies MCP, yes I know), but you're working towards
MCSA and have finished 70-270. People will ask what you have your MCP
in, at that point in the interview it opens doors to explain that you're
expanding your knowledge. Otherwise, you look like a fool and its
implied.

--
Lasher
MCDST, MCNGP #50 <-- Only Certs I need to list
www.mcngp.com > all
MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
belief.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
TurkReno wrote:
> I agree with Frisbee guys. However, the only case that I would say
> "Sure, list that on your resume is a situation where you have lets say
> an MCDST (Which implies MCP, yes I know), but you're working towards
> MCSA and have finished 70-270. People will ask what you have your MCP
> in, at that point in the interview it opens doors to explain that you're
> expanding your knowledge. Otherwise, you look like a fool and its
> implied.


I would also say putting MCP is a good idea for resume purposes when you
have one of the new designations. HR drones won't know what MCDST or
MCTS means.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Alligood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
You guys are too much Wasting your time discussing how one should
list their certifications. Does it really matter? Honestly? I am not
sure how much time the two of you wasted giving thought to this matter.
But I assure you that it could have been spent helping more individuals
with their problems then worried how I should list my certifications?
Microsoft designated me an MCP for test(s) that I have taken. 'Nuff
said.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor



"TurkReno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98A1797404C76Lasher36526@207.46.248.16:

> "Keith Chilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Frisbee
> >
> > Aren't you getting a little personal and imposing with your views on
> > signatures and their usage? The only point I can see in you saying
> > that is that if you have an MCDST or MCSA, it is implied you have the
> > MCP because well you would have to have the MCP. You get it from the
> > first test you pass. There is nothing wrong with listing it on your
> > signature or resume though. You shouldn't think less of people who
> > list it to make yourself sound smarter. In fact, you'll probably sound
> > well... the opposite.
> >
> > That's my opinion. Don't you love it? If not, I do! haha

>
> I agree with Frisbee guys. However, the only case that I would say
> "Sure, list that on your resume is a situation where you have lets say
> an MCDST (Which implies MCP, yes I know), but you're working towards
> MCSA and have finished 70-270. People will ask what you have your MCP
> in, at that point in the interview it opens doors to explain that you're
> expanding your knowledge. Otherwise, you look like a fool and its
> implied.
>
> --
> Lasher
> MCDST, MCNGP #50 <-- Only Certs I need to list
> www.mcngp.com > all
> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
> belief.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Alligood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Which is why you never abbreviate your certifications on resumes because
of that very point.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor



"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> TurkReno wrote:
> > I agree with Frisbee guys. However, the only case that I would say
> > "Sure, list that on your resume is a situation where you have lets say
> > an MCDST (Which implies MCP, yes I know), but you're working towards
> > MCSA and have finished 70-270. People will ask what you have your MCP
> > in, at that point in the interview it opens doors to explain that you're
> > expanding your knowledge. Otherwise, you look like a fool and its
> > implied.

>
> I would also say putting MCP is a good idea for resume purposes when you
> have one of the new designations. HR drones won't know what MCDST or
> MCTS means.


 
Reply With Quote
 
TurkReno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You guys are too much Wasting your time how one should
> list their certifications. Does it really matter?


Yes.

> Honestly? I am not sure how much time the two of you wasted giving

thought to this matter.

About .00002355447th of a millisecond.

> But I assure you that it could have been spent helping more
> individuals with their problems then worried how I should list my
> certifications?


Go read my other posts and don't whine. I'm not here to breast feed
anyone either.

> Microsoft designated me an MCP for test(s) that I have taken. 'Nuff
> said.


That may be so, but its still redundant in a UseNet for MCDST if you
already have your MCDST.

--
Lasher
MCNGP #50
www.mcngp.com > all
MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
belief.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Michael D. Alligood wrote:
> Which is why you never abbreviate your certifications on resumes because
> of that very point.
>


Good point, sir. Merry Christmas!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Alligood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor



"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> Michael D. Alligood wrote:
> > Which is why you never abbreviate your certifications on resumes because
> > of that very point.
> >

>
> Good point, sir. Merry Christmas!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael D. Alligood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2006
Point taken; but agree to disagree. The cert still stays, now lets move
on.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
CIW Certified Instructor



"TurkReno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98A17CF98490BLasher36526@207.46.248.16:

> "Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > You guys are too much Wasting your time how one should
> > list their certifications. Does it really matter?

>
> Yes.
>
> > Honestly? I am not sure how much time the two of you wasted giving

> thought to this matter.
>
> About .00002355447th of a millisecond.
>
> > But I assure you that it could have been spent helping more
> > individuals with their problems then worried how I should list my
> > certifications?

>
> Go read my other posts and don't whine. I'm not here to breast feed
> anyone either.
>
> > Microsoft designated me an MCP for test(s) that I have taken. 'Nuff
> > said.

>
> That may be so, but its still redundant in a UseNet for MCDST if you
> already have your MCDST.
>
> --
> Lasher
> MCNGP #50
> www.mcngp.com > all
> MCNGP: Leading the world to better training, better computer skills,
> and taking out the lowdes of the world with fervor beyond anyone's
> belief.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a MCSE Trainer/Teacher, at Montreal (Québec, Canada) chris MCSE 1 07-18-2005 08:08 PM
Montreal Java/J2EE programmer needed Yvon Comeau Java 0 01-11-2005 07:56 PM
Cisco User Group in Montreal? Bill Engel Cisco 0 10-22-2004 04:11 PM
motorolo montreal PWB Computer Support 0 07-31-2004 01:48 PM
MONTREAL, QC, Canada Opportunity for Senior SIP Application Layer Designers - GSM mobile networks Mario VOIP 0 07-09-2003 10:54 PM



Advertisments