Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCDST > Re: MCDST Study Guide

Re: MCDST Study Guide

Michael D. Alligood

Jo, in regards to the Bill Ferguson book; are you referring to his MCDST
Sybex Deluxe Edition? If so, I cannot offer any opinion on this book
because I have all but given up on Sybex. I did however look at the
reviews on Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...283155&s=books)
and they are not very favorable. I tend to use the Microsoft Press book
and Resource Kits; along with online references like
http://www.microsoft.com/technet.

As far as practice tests are concerned, I am pleased and have used
Transcenders, and MeasureUP. I rarely pay attention to my score however.
I mainly use them to condition myself for the exam if I have not taken
one in a while. Meaning the tests are long and wordy, so I use the
practice exams as comparison to the actual exam environment. It is not
the content I am ever worried about when taking an exam. It the sitting
there for 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours answering lengthy questions. Odd I
know.

--
Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

"Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Anybody use the MCDST Study Guide by Bill Ferguson (Deluxe Edition) April
> 2006 edition? (this book covers both 70-271 and 70-272 tests). I am
> studying for the 70-271 and am using the Microsoft Press book. I find that
> the book does not go into specifics about items you are tested on. I am
> strong in some areas, weak in others. Or is there a specific website that
> offers better practice tests?
> --
> Motochick

Keith Chilton

Michael

I have noticed you mention the fact about the time that it takes to take the
test. I am betting you have made silly mistakes in the past due to this
antsiness. I too have experienced this. It is hard to overcome. haha
I always think to myself though when I am about to answer a question rashly,
"Keith what are you doing that for? Come on! You have never ran out of time
on a test. What's your hurry? Reread it and pay attention to what you are
reading! WAKE UP and use your brain man!"

LOL

"Michael D. Alligood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jo, in regards to the Bill Ferguson book; are you referring to his MCDST
> Sybex Deluxe Edition? If so, I cannot offer any opinion on this book
> because I have all but given up on Sybex. I did however look at the
> reviews on Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...283155&s=books)
> and they are not very favorable. I tend to use the Microsoft Press book
> and Resource Kits; along with online references like
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet.
>
> As far as practice tests are concerned, I am pleased and have used
> Transcenders, and MeasureUP. I rarely pay attention to my score however. I
> mainly use them to condition myself for the exam if I have not taken one
> in a while. Meaning the tests are long and wordy, so I use the practice
> exams as comparison to the actual exam environment. It is not the content
> I am ever worried about when taking an exam. It the sitting there for 45
> minutes to 1 1/2 hours answering lengthy questions. Odd I know.
>
> --
> Michael D. Alligood
> MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
> Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
> CIW Certified Instructor
>

> "Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Anybody use the MCDST Study Guide by Bill Ferguson (Deluxe Edition) April
>> 2006 edition? (this book covers both 70-271 and 70-272 tests). I am
>> studying for the 70-271 and am using the Microsoft Press book. I find
>> that
>> the book does not go into specifics about items you are tested on. I am
>> strong in some areas, weak in others. Or is there a specific website
>> that
>> offers better practice tests?
>> --
>> Motochick

Doug MacKay

I have that book in front of me it is published by Sybex.

I have not read it (yet) I am still absorbing the Microsoft books on the
subject.

I mainly picked up the book by Bill Ferguson and Brad Causey as a
supplemental and or backup to the Microsoft books.